Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '11, 7:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Dipping the host in the wine?

Every other Sunday I go to a chapel in the evening at a local Jesuit college because I'm required to attend school every other Sunday morning. I often see people dipping the host in the wine during communion - I don't see this at my regular church. Is this normal?

This was at the same mass where a female campus minister (not a deacon or priest) was asked to preach the homily.

Peace
Old Feb 24, '11, 7:51 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Dipping the host in the wine?

Its called intinction. Only the priest may intinct. If the laity is doing it, it is an abuse.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
Its called intinction. Only the priest may intinct. If the laity is doing it, it is an abuse.
So why is it being allowed at a Jesuit college of all places? I thought the Jesuit charism was loyalty?

This is a very small chapel and it is very obvious to the priests that this is being done, by a large percentage of people.

Peace
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:04 am

Religion: Catholic

Here is the quote from Redeptionis Sacramentum that pertains to your question:

[103.] The norms of the Roman Missal admit the principle that in cases where Communion is administered under both kinds, “the Blood of the Lord may be received either by drinking from the chalice directly, or by intinction, or by means of a tube or a spoon”.[191] As regards the administering of Communion to lay members of Christ’s faithful, the Bishops may exclude Communion with the tube or the spoon where this is not the local custom, though the option of administering Communion by intinction always remains. If this modality is employed, however, hosts should be used which are neither too thin nor too small, and the communicant should receive the Sacrament from the Priest only on the tongue.[192]
[104.] The communicant must not be permitted to intinct the host himself in the chalice, nor to receive the intincted host in the hand. As for the host to be used for the intinction, it should be made of valid matter, also consecrated; it is altogether forbidden to use non-consecrated bread or other matter.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:05 am
Banned

Intinction is specifically prohibited to the laity. There are NO exceptions to this practice.

I would report this practice to the head of this particular College, stating that it is your understanding that intinction of the host is specifically prohibited by lay persons, and asking why this is being permitted at [name the particular chapel and service].

You should receive an answer. If you do not, then report this practice to the local Bishop, who can bring pressure on them to stop this.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post
Intinction is specifically prohibited to the laity. There are NO exceptions to this practice.

I would report this practice to the head of this particular College, stating that it is your understanding that intinction of the host is specifically prohibited by lay persons, and asking why this is being permitted at [name the particular chapel and service].

You should receive an answer. If you do not, then report this practice to the local Bishop, who can bring pressure on them to stop this.
Being a Candidate, the OP is in a rather difficult position to be reporting abuses. However, there is no harm in asking about something that one comes across in their reading.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
As for the host to be used for the intinction, it should be made of valid matter, also consecrated; it is altogether forbidden to use non-consecrated bread or other matter.[/size][/left]
What is valid matter for a host? Is a big whole wheat looking cracker consistency wafer that is quickly consecrated and then broken to pieces with crumbs falling all over the altar okay?

Is it okay when I go up, and do not take the host (I'm a candidate), but instead I make a cross with my two arms for a blessing, and the priest making the blessing on my forehead still has the host in the hand he's making the blessing with while tiny crumbs are falling on my forehead?

Peace
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:14 am

Thanks for posting this question. Many years ago I saw this being done and suspected that it was improper. Now I know. Peace, g.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsering View Post
What is valid matter for a host? Is a big whole wheat looking cracker consistency wafer that is quickly consecrated and then broken to pieces with crumbs falling all over the altar okay?

Is it okay when I go up, and do not take the host (I'm a candidate), but instead I make a cross with my two arms for a blessing, and the priest making the blessing on my forehead still has the host in the hand he's making the blessing with while tiny crumbs are falling on my forehead?

Peace
The Host must not be too thin nor too small. The reason being is that it should not fall apart easily after being dipped nor should it be so small that fingers get dipped in the Precious Blood.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:23 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:

None of this is "okay" no matter how one looks at it. Self-intinction, women preachers, Eucharistic crumbs, etc, are all serious abuses. I'd suggest finding another church.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:28 am

Quote:
The Host must not be too thin nor too small. The reason being is that it should not fall apart easily after being dipped nor should it be so small that fingers get dipped in the Precious Blood.
No one was dipping except the laity. The priest consecrated the host (a large 10 inches in diameter whole wheat wafer) and then broke it into pieces while crumbs flew all over the altar. The pieces are what he handed out to the laity. Some people were then taking these pieces and dipping them in the wine.

My next question is, was the host made of valid matter? And moreover is it okay for the priest to break it into small pieces and crumbs?
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:36 am

Quote:
No one was dipping except the laity. The priest consecrated the host (a large 10 inches in diameter whole wheat wafer) and then broke it into pieces while crumbs flew all over the altar. The pieces are what he handed out to the laity. Some people were then taking these pieces and dipping them in the wine.

My next question is, was the host made of valid matter? And moreover is it okay for the priest to break it into small pieces and crumbs?

Please - not 'wine'.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphono View Post
None of this is "okay" no matter how one looks at it. Self-intinction, women preachers, Eucharistic crumbs, etc, are all serious abuses. I'd suggest finding another church.
Unfortunately, this has been the only one I can attend every other Sunday in the area to fulfill my obligation. What frustrates me is that I am finding another Church - the Catholic Church. It's unfortunate that I have to swim through serious abuses to actually find it. I think the unbelief and seeming lack of obedience in a prominent - if the not the sole - Catholic college of our diocese which trains much if not most of it's ministers - has a chapel mass run by it's Jesuit priests who allow serious abuses. I feel like I got sandpaper abrasions on my heart, and my wife is having a hard time deciding to join the RCC not because of the teaching, but because of the abuses and attitudes of those who don't really give a rip - which shows their unbelief - especially towards the sacraments.

Peace
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:45 am

Quote:

There is no question that it was wrong for the laity to intinct. But from what you describe of the Host- cracker-like with crumbs flying all over the altar- I would say that the bread used is not appropriate. I will say, however, that there are some very large hosts that have perferated lines where it can be broken easily with little crumbs. Our former pastor used a very large thin white host on special occassions, like Christmas and Easter. Our present pastor doesn't like the huge host. He always uses the one that is about two inch diameter. There may be a more substantial huge host that has the perferated lines for breaking as well.
Old Feb 24, '11, 8:50 am

Quote:
There is no question that it was wrong for the laity to intinct. But from what you describe of the Host- cracker-like with crumbs flying all over the altar- I would say that the bread used is not appropriate. I will say, however, that there are some very large hosts that have perferated lines where it can be broken easily with little crumbs. Our former pastor used a very large thin white host on special occassions, like Christmas and Easter. Our present pastor doesn't like the huge host. He always uses the one that is about two inch diameter. There may be a more substantial huge host that has the perferated lines for breaking as well.
It definitely wasn't perforated.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments