Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 1, '11, 8:53 pm

Religion: Orthodox pre-neophyte
Default Procreation possible in the Garden of Eden (temporal paradise)

So, from what I've read in the Bible, there are no statements in the Bible that say that Adam and Eve couldn't have had children in a state of terrestrial paradise. But I can see how somepeople might come to that conclusion. One must admit, however, that this is an invalid inference. See Genesis 3:16 "To the woman he said: "I wil intensify the pangs of your childbearing: in pain shall you bring forth children. Yet your urge shall be for your husband, and he shall be your master.""

If anything, I am led to think that had Adam and Eve not sinned by partaking of the forbidden fruit, then Eve would have brought forth children without pain during labor.

Any thoughts? I haven't read every piece of Catholic dogma yet, so my conclusion might just be so obvious that it doesn't come up that often. I was brought up in a church that taught that Adam and Eve couldn't have children until being cast out of terrestrial paradise.
Old Mar 2, '11, 12:52 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Procreation possible in the Garden of Eden (temporal paradise)

Maybe this passage from Genesis 1 will prove that Adam and Even can in fact procreate from the beginning.

Old Mar 2, '11, 7:37 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADouglass View Post
So, from what I've read in the Bible, there are no statements in the Bible that say that Adam and Eve couldn't have had children in a state of terrestrial paradise.
Correct.
Quote:
But I can see how somepeople might come to that conclusion. One must admit, however, that this is an invalid inference.
Correct.
Quote:
See Genesis 3:16 "To the woman he said: "I wil intensify the pangs of your childbearing: in pain shall you bring forth children. Yet your urge shall be for your husband, and he shall be your master.""

If anything, I am led to think that had Adam and Eve not sinned by partaking of the forbidden fruit, then Eve would have brought forth children without pain during labor.
That is very possible. Or, she would have had some pain, but not a whole lot. (Note where it says "I will intensify your pain.")
Old Mar 2, '11, 10:34 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
So, from what I've read in the Bible, there are no statements in the Bible that say that Adam and Eve couldn't have had children in a state of terrestrial paradise. But I can see how somepeople might come to that conclusion. One must admit, however, that this is an invalid inference. See Genesis 3:16 "To the woman he said: "I wil intensify the pangs of your childbearing: in pain shall you bring forth children. Yet your urge shall be for your husband, and he shall be your master.""

Any thoughts? I haven't read every piece of Catholic dogma yet, so my conclusion might just be so obvious that it doesn't come up that often. I was brought up in a church that taught that Adam and Eve couldn't have children until being cast out of terrestrial paradise.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition teaches that the state of original sin is transmitted through procreation by Adam to all mankind. It is also taught that Adam had received original holiness and justice not for himself alone but for all human nature. Therefore Adam first had to freely choose to remain in God's friendship or to prefer himself over God and thus scorn his Creator.

God's blessing to be fertile and multiply was given in advance so that no matter what Adam freely chose to do, he would know his responsibility as the the founder of the entire human species.

Blessings,
granny

Basic Catholic teaching regarding Adam and Eve
is found in the
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, ISBN: 1-57455-109-4
Paragraphs 355-421.

The good news of Jesus Christ follows in Paragraph 422, etc.

One can put the word paragraph and its number in the Catechism's search bar in link
www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Entering topics is also very useful since the Catechism does expand on the basics and implications. . Do check out the references in the margins and in the Index.

When one enters a paragraph number, like "paragraph 355", and then clicks on the opening line, CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 355 the following is under the paragraph:

»Enter the Catechism at this paragraph
»Table of Contents
»Index
Old Mar 2, '11, 7:24 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
I was brought up in a church that taught that Adam and Eve couldn't have children until being cast out of terrestrial paradise.
This belief is fairly close to the teaching of Jerome:

“Be fruitful,” God says, “and multiply, and replenish the earth” (Gen 1:28). He who desires to replenish the earth may increase and multiply if he will. But the train to which you belong is not on earth, but in heaven.

The command to increase and multiply first finds fulfillment after the expulsion from paradise, after the nakedness and the fig-leaves which speak of sexual passion. In paradise Eve was a virgin, and it was only after the coats of skins that she began her married life. Now paradise is your home too. (Letter to Eustochium)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture