Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 6, '11, 12:24 pm

Religion: catholic
Default the question about the claims of spritual mission of the nation and how it reflects on politics

There is a theory that big nation of Orthodox Civilization shows to the world the right path towards God and spirituality ?

I am from Ukraine , and there are two different groups of people ( may be more than two )
Some believe that we should be folloers of Russian Orthodox Church which shows to the world the right path towards God and spirituality
And another group of people believe that EU should be our orientation.
One of the arguments of Orthodox civilization against the West is that Western world rejected God and western civilization can not be spiritual guide any more.

I wonder , why Dostoevskiy , one of the biggest Russian writers , spoke negatively about the west ?
Why the Orthodox civilization opposing itself as the superior and true comparably with western and other ones.

It reflects on politics as well.
And its even forces to make a choice about orientation
West or East ?
Moscow or Brussels ?
Russia or Europe ?

I love Russian people very much , as I love all people.
We speak similar languages and have many things very similar , but I disagree that the spiritual question should have so ig influence on political orientation , if the question stands in this way.

First of all , I do nt agree with , I would say primitive political ideal ( authoritarian one )
Some people ironically say that democracy is when there are many mafias not one mafia
So , in my opnion , it is better many than one , it is better for society.

Unforunately , for so many years of independence , paradoxically we did not get the level of prosperity we had during the Soviet Union , but it does not mean that ''communism model was right one ''.
and it does not mean that continuation of authoritarian society should be continuing.

I have much respect to the western ethics of work and discipline.
Respect to human personality and respect to the law and rights.

The Orthodox Church has some practice which is beautiful and worthy of attention , but
I think its too big claims to have infleunce on politics which warns of benchmark West.

What are the counter-arguments which question the claims of Russian Orthodox Church ?

Some people believe that Russian Orthodox Churche's distaste for riches was a certain forerunner, who even had some impact to future ''bolshevism''
The idea that secular authority has higher authority than the Church is also a case.

Russia is great country , which might have a great future , but in my opinion my country should follow the example of the West , because we belong to Europea nation.

May be geographical position , or even genetics has influence on countries ideals , but
I beleive , that if authoritarian model works for some society , why that society should apply the same model to another ociety which by its cultural and ethnical relation belongs to European one ?

My question is , What are the general counter-arguments which question the claims of Orthodox Civilization to be the example , the benchmark for humanity in the preaching of Christ ?

I am opened for critical thinking and weighing the arguments .
Thanks.
Old Mar 6, '11, 2:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: the question about the claims of spritual mission of the nation and how it reflects on politics

Good Doestoyevsky link: http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...70#post7484270

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism