Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 7, '11, 2:59 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Can you be baptized twice?

My Catholic cousin is worried that her baptism in the Catholic Church 25 years ago was invalid. Her parents were not married.
Does she need to be baptized again?
She also never recieved the Eucharist or any of the other Sacraments.
She wants to take RCIA because she is pregnant and really wants to raise the child in a strong Catholic enviroment, although she recently told me herself that she is a closeted atheist.
I know she is sinning, and I pray for her, but I need some opinions so I can show her this thread.
God Bless!
Old Mar 7, '11, 3:08 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Can you be baptized twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieby View Post
My Catholic cousin is worried that her baptism in the Catholic Church 25 years ago was invalid. Her parents were not married.
Her parents marital status is not relevant to whether or not her baptism is valid.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
She wants to take RCIA because she is pregnant and really wants to raise the child in a strong Catholic enviroment, although she recently told me herself that she is a closeted atheist.
Well, which is it? Is she a Catholic or an atheist? She needs to decide this.

Quote:
I know she is sinning, and I pray for her, but I need some opinions so I can show her this thread.
If she decides she wants to be a Catholic then she should approach her priest about completing her sacraments, about going to confession for her sins, and about marrying the father of her child.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 7, '11, 3:40 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
God Bless!
Can you be baptised twice? Yes...is this needed or a valid thing to do? No.

Only time the Church would "re-baptize" is if the person is not sure or cannot provide documentation of a valid trinitarian baptism when converting to Catholicism. In that case it would be called a "conditional" baptism.

We profess "..one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.." in the creed at mass on Sunday.
Old Mar 7, '11, 3:54 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapey View Post
Can you be baptised twice? Yes...
This is misleading. The Catholic Church does NOT rebaptize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapey View Post
Only time the Church would "re-baptize" is if the person is not sure or cannot provide documentation of a valid trinitarian baptism when converting to Catholicism. In that case it would be called a "conditional" baptism.
A conditional baptism is NOT a rebaptism.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 7, '11, 4:18 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
This is misleading. The Catholic Church does NOT rebaptize.

A conditional baptism is NOT a rebaptism.

Unless one would read something into what I wrote, it is not missleading. If you notice the " " you would know that it was a play on words. I am an ordinary minister of baptism and I have recieved much training in the sacrement. So please don't add to my statements. There are many denominations besides the Catholic Church that perform baptisms. Many who leave the Church believe that they must be re-baptized to make it "valid" since they were sprinkled as an infant. So when you read what I wrote and see what you saw, I would suggest giving the poster a little more credit than you afforded me; especially if you see my signature as Deacon, a minister of the sacrement.

PS. Again, look at what I posted and tell me when you think I did anything but say that a conditional baptism is "re-baptism."
Old Mar 7, '11, 5:00 pm

Quote:
God Bless!
Parental marital status does not invalidate a baptism. If she was baptised in the Catholic Church, I'm sure it was valid trinitarian formula, and it's more than likely documented somewhere. No, she does not need to be baptized again.

She can take classes if she wants to start receiving the Eucharist. She will also need to get Confirmed and go to Confession.

If she is an atheist, she is lost and needs to seek help from a spiritual director. Many people have left atheism, but it's not easy.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments