Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 8, '11, 6:59 am
Banned

Religion: Atheist.
Wink Could spontaneous combustion be God's modern way of smiting people down?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Last edited by Bohm Bawerk; Mar 8, '11 at 7:09 am.
Old Mar 8, '11, 7:06 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Harry Potter
Default Re: Could spontaneous combustion be God's modern way of smiting people down?

I have to laugh. Spontaneous comustion is usually a bunch of factors all teamed together. God stopped smiting when He gave his Son for redemption of the world.
Old Mar 8, '11, 7:14 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Could spontaneous combustion be God's modern way of smiting people down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk
You know, I've thought about that myself!

People actually catching on fire from the inside out. It is something to consider, but I hate to hear people say that 'such and such' happened because they were a bad person, because the truth of the matter is that bad stuff happens to saints and sinners alike - they just react to the suffering differently.

* Visit My Website at: http://www.davidlgray.info/blog/
* Pray the Novena to Fr. Augustus Tolton http://www.toltonnovena.org/
Old Mar 8, '11, 8:33 am

Religion: Catholic

Jesus explains that God does not "smite" people due to particular sin. Unfortunate things happen because we live in a fallen world.
Old Mar 8, '11, 8:35 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post

Jesus explains that God does not "smite" people due to particular sin. Unfortunate things happen because we live in a fallen world.

Not to mention that the jury is still out on "spontaneous combustion".
Old Mar 9, '11, 4:10 am

Religion: Catholic (Ex Protestant)

I had a look at Wikipedia, and it stated there were about 200 cited cases over 300 years. That's less than 1 per year. In most cases, there was a lack of thorough investigation and / or reliable witnesses. In modern cases, where photographic or other evidence exists, a cause can always be found. So I wouldn't take much notice of "spontaneous combustion" stories unless they can be verified.

That said, I think God does kill people from time to time. He did it in the case of Ananias and Sapphira, and while I can't prove it, I believe that if He thinks someone is going to cause too much trouble, or has already done immense damage, I believe He'll occasionally act. But since he let people like Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Pol Pot live out their lives with all the damage they did, then I don't think He does it very often.

I suppose one case that comes to mind goes back a few years. The story is that an alcoholic who brutally abused his parrtner's two children, murdered them and then forced her to help him burn the bodies and bury the remains.

Not long after he was killed by a truck colliding with his vehicle, and never went to trial. I sometimes wonder if God helped him to plant his foot on the accelerator when the alcoholic murderer was waiting to pull out, when normally the bloke would have braked.

That's my suspicion in his case. But I don't place much credibility on "spontaneous combustion" of humans.

However this does remind me of a story my sister told me. Not long after she and her husband had built their new house in a new acreage estate, they went to a Christmas party. But when they got there, she had this persistent nagging feeling that she may not have set the alarm. She told her husband, and said she was going back to check.

He told her to stay with the kids, and he'd go back. As he got close to their house, he could see a light underneath (it was high set). At first he thought there might be an intruder with a torch, but as he got closer he could see flames licking up the side of the laundry. He put them out, but the laundry walls were scorched.

Apparently he'd been oiling the floorboards, and thrown the rags in a cardboard box next to the laundry. Unknown to him, in fine print, the oil stated that impregnated rags could self ignite if left together, which in this case they did.

My sister's comment was "Somebody was looking after us that night!" (and she wasn't formally religious). First there was the persistent nagging sense about the alarm. Then there was the timing. Had her husband been five minutes earlier, the flames would probably not been evident. He'd have set the alarm and returned to the party.

Had he been five minutes later, the flames would probably have had a very good grip on the house, as it was basically wood, and being in a new estate, there were not many other residents to raise the alarm.

I think my sister wondered Who kept nagging her about the alarm.

So if you're intending to oil any floor boards, read the fine print.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality