Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 8, '11, 11:43 am

Default History question about the habit that nuns wear

I have a question about the history of the clothes that the nuns wear.To me at least it seems reminds me a bit of the hijab that Muslom women wear even though I think various societies wore clothes like that before Islam was founded.I remember once watching a documentary about a man going to Egypt to find out about Jesus when he was in Egypt (to avoid "The Massacre of the innocents" said of in the Bible).There he went and interviewed Coptic Christians.I remeber seeing the Coptic Christian nuns and the clothes that they wore almost looked exactly like black burkas but with something different around the neck I think.This looks different from how nuns the way I've ussually seen them in real life and in depication like in old paintings ussually have like a white wimple under a larger garment.My question is did the habits that nuns wear now change from the garments that Middle Eastern societies have used for centuries and if so why?.Thank you very much so for your time and blessings.
Old Mar 8, '11, 12:24 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: History question about the habit that nuns wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I My question is did the habits that nuns wear now change from the garments that Middle Eastern societies have used for centuries and if so why?.Thank you very much so for your time and blessings.
since most religious habits were patterned on the garb for either unmarried women or widows in their own cultures, I imagine only religious orders that began in Middle Eastern countries have (or had) habits patterned on typical female garb in those countries, and what may still be traditional in those societies that are not westernized, whether Muslim or Christian. Orders that began in western Europe would have had their original habits based on whatever the modest, unostentatious garb for widows or virgins was at that time and place, and I don't know that those "fashions" were based on middle Eastern patterns.
Old Mar 8, '11, 12:35 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Two years ago, I found a fascinating book on the subject at my local public library (King County Public Library System, King County, Washington State).

The Habit: A History of the Clothing of Catholic Nuns, by Elizabeth Kuhns.

If you cannot find it at your branch of your library, you might ask for an interlibrary transfer. I have often been able to get books I wanted from as far east as Kansas!
Old Mar 8, '11, 12:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

Are you aware that Islam developed 600 years after the Ascension of Jesus?
Old Mar 8, '11, 1:19 pm

Re: History question about the habit that nuns wear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you aware that Islam developed 600 years after the Ascension of Jesus?

I am aware of that but I think that clothes similar to hijabs already existed for centuries for Islam was founded.
Old Mar 8, '11, 1:29 pm
Banned

Yes, the habit is modelled on ME/Arab dress of women at the time of Christ. It is not modelled on Islamic female dress but both come from the same ancient tradition.

Check out the dress of older traditional Bahreini women - they all look like a flock of nuns.
Old Mar 8, '11, 10:14 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

Our Byzantine Catholic nuns still have these traditional habits. Also the Orthodox nuns do.
Old Mar 8, '11, 10:27 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I have a question about the history of the clothes that the nuns wear.To me at least it seems reminds me a bit of the hijab that Muslom women wear even though I think various societies wore clothes like that before Islam was founded.I remember once watching a documentary about a man going to Egypt to find out about Jesus when he was in Egypt (to avoid "The Massacre of the innocents" said of in the Bible).There he went and interviewed Coptic Christians.I remeber seeing the Coptic Christian nuns and the clothes that they wore almost looked exactly like black burkas but with something different around the neck I think.This looks different from how nuns the way I've ussually seen them in real life and in depication like in old paintings ussually have like a white wimple under a larger garment.My question is did the habits that nuns wear now change from the garments that Middle Eastern societies have used for centuries and if so why?.Thank you very much so for your time and blessings.
Ever questioned the different types of vestments in the Eastern Rite? Or are you more focused on nuns instead of priests?

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Mar 8, '11, 10:28 pm

Whatever the history, the truth is that each part of the religious habit is symblic; it has a deep spiritual meaning and each part also has its own prayer as it is donned.

This is what makes the modern trend such a great loss to religious life and why that plays a large part in the decline of religious life...
Old Mar 8, '11, 10:37 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopemercy View Post
Whatever the history, the truth is that each part of the religious habit is symblic; it has a deep spiritual meaning and each part also has its own prayer as it is donned.

This is what makes the modern trend such a great loss to religious life and why that plays a large part in the decline of religious life...
I doubt the decline in attendance or vocations can be tied directly to the type of garments one wears on the outside, but it may be related to what is in the heart of the one even in the humble potato sack that we should always keep our eyes open about.

Strawberry Fields Forever

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism