Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 9, '11, 8:50 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Demonic Obession/Bipolar Disorder?

I found this website by a exorcist priest who says that he gets bipolar patients off their meds in two weeks. He says bipolar is demonic obession. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? I think its under spiritual theology under the demon sections.

http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html
Old Mar 9, '11, 9:21 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita
Default Re: Demonic Obession/Bipolar Disorder?

I had severe bipolar disorder. At the time I really felt like I was somehow directly connected to the spirit world. Some things did indeed seem demonic.

Now, looking back at it, I have no reason to believe there were demons anywhere besides my imagination. The imagination was very vivid, but no good evidence it was spirit-led or even demonic.

When the judge asked me, during my disability hearing, why I did certain specific things that were listed in the evidence, I answered with total honesty, "I'm not sure, sir. At the time I believed I was being led by the Holy Spirit." The judge ruled in my favor, to give me the disability.

To be accurate, I had many delusions, but no hallucinations. That is, I didn't see a crucifix move, for example, but I did think it could have been possessed and was trying to influence me while I was playing the music at Mass.

I didn't spend much time on the web site; it looked like quite a bit of material there. If you have a particular section to look at, I will. Meanwhile, I don't know that I've encountered mental illness that is a result of demonic influence.

That is not to say there is not a spiritual component. There is a huge spiritual component. But it was about my own spiritual situation, not spirits from the "spirit world" or some such.

Not to say it can't happen, but in any given case I'd go in with my first guess that the demons are entirely in the mind of the afflicted.

Alan
Old Mar 9, '11, 9:35 pm

Comprehensive audio talks on spiritual warfare. Scroll down to the bottom. Lessons 1-4.

Quotes..

'... there is no such thing as multiple personality disorder. . ."

"... there has not been a single solitary individual who has come to me that's been diagnosed with bipolar that is on meds that I haven't been able to get completely off the meds and straightened out in three months if they do certain things. Not one."

"... bipolar is actually a form of obsession, demonic obsession by the time it gets to the point that it's diagnosable. . . Usually that can be broken very quickly.. usually they are off the meds in three weeks."

"... every form of mental illness can be caused by demons, not every one is.. sometimes the distinction is extremely hard.. but there are patterns you can see.. if it's truly psychological it will be physiologically based or triggered by certain objects or events.. if it is demonic it will have no correspondence to anything whatsoever .."

"... an exorcist can give a blessing. . . give the oppressed person a sense of freedom . . ."

"... it's very common. ... our experience is. . . the adult populous of this country is diabolically obsessed. . . usually with matters pertaining to chastity. "

"... oppression affects one health, employment, relationships, and the symptoms include unexplainable rages, isolation from the people around you. . . "

"... it can result in physical illnesses that cannot be cured by medical means, I know of a woman who was sterile for 11 years in her marriage. . . she is exorcised, conceived in the next month."

"... it can affect relationships, for example a falling out among family members.. it can affect people's employment, when they are fired for no reason.. "

"... then there is diabolical infestation, this occurs when things outside of man, places.. objects.. cars... etc. ... a friend of mine actually bought this house.. we exorcised the house.. it took me a year to get the thing out... after his wife contracted cancer.. "

"... diabolical subjugation or dependence.. false pacts with the devil.. acts of witchcraft... people want the power, they want to influence and control people... with Wicca.. 'I am going to make my boyfriend fall in love with me'. . . "

"... when a woman has an abortion, if she was demonically influenced... I've seen child after child brought to me... children become possessed in the womb.. by witchcraft and other things..."

"... to receive Charismatic graces.. a Charismatic grace is a gratuitous gift.. you cannot ask for Charismatic graces to receive them.. if God wants to give you them.. fine.. it's very important.. to seek something supernatural in a disordered fashion.. is called superstition.. so I've seen countless people become demonically influenced from Charismatic practices.. one of the things is imposition of hands.."

"... homosexuality, drug use, superstitious practices.. intentional or unintentional.. have to stop.. "

"... keep watch over the kinds of music your children listen.. when people get some emotional buzz out of it, it has to be tempered.. when its not tempered.. it becomes an addiction.. how do you know its an addiction.. tell a person to stop listening to it..."

"... apparition chasing is a serious problem.. wait until the Church makes a judgement.. that's something people have to be careful about.."

"... depression is one of the clear signs of oppression.. obstinacy.. is one of the clear signs of a diabolic spirit... "

"... I've known people who suffered from addictions.. and after one exorcism.. it's broken.. completely broken.. ."

"... despair, lack of confidence, and discouragement.. disobedience, hardness of heart.. resentment, uncontrolled passions, sensuality.. simulation.. duplicity.. excessive attachment to sensible consolations.. and this is a big problem.. excessive attachment to sensible consolations.. it is not a basis of judgement of where you are at in your spiritual life..."

"... sometimes demons will try to throw you off by being fun... they'll try everything... "

"... I know a family that has a generational spirit of rape.. every woman in the last five generations has been raped.. so this is serious business..."

"... Satan will assign a guardian demon.. then there's a familiar... there're different types of demons.."

"... there're different remedies for the six different types of demoniacal activity..."

"... if it's not too severe.. even the person himself can break it.. if it's not too severe... depending on the circumstances.. but normally that doesn't happen. . "

"... they have all different types of personalities.. you can have mute spirits.. . one that is constantly cracking jokes... their goal is to drag it out.. it's not so bad for them suffering the pain of loss.. when they have a distraction of possessing somebody or influencing somebody.. the last thing they want to do is go back to Hell.. because then they're back in the complete loneliness they had before.. if they manage to get the person to commit suicide they get credit in Hell.. but if they don't.. if they're booted out.. they get ridiculed by the other demons in the process... "

"... the vast majority of people who are oppressed.. come to a junction.. they come to a point they're told, OK this is something you're holding onto.. an attachment.. they have a particular type of behavior.. or disorder.. they're told that you have to give up... The demon is very good at making them fearful of giving up this thing..."

"... demons affix themselves to something.. some emotional thing you're holding on to.. simple intellectual error.. once the person sees the thing he is holding onto.. the possession is broken.. this is one of the rare cases when a person goes to a psychologist.. and figures it out.. "
Old Mar 9, '11, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxygirl1488 View Post
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?

The first thing that came to mind was to check Catholic Culture for a review of the website:

http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...fm?recnum=4235

1. Fidelity: Excellent
2. Resources: Good
3. Useability: Excellent

Weaknesses:

None Reported.

So far, the source looks good.
Old Mar 11, '11, 4:16 am

I have not listened to Father R's talks on spiritual warfare. I have listened to the spiritual theology lessons on demons. In those lessons, Father R mentions an exorcist who was at a psychiatric hospital. The exorcist cured one patient. From that, Fr. Ripperger claims that 90% of bipolar patients can be cured by exorcism. In that instance I am sure that he was talking about his feelings rather than a statistical fact.

Father Ripperger is an FSSP priest. He is an exorcist who has been reassigned to a parish. He recently published a very scholarly book on Thomistic Theology. When he says things such as, "... there has not been a single solitary individual who has come to me that's been diagnosed with bipolar that is on meds that I haven't been able to get completely off the meds and straightened out in three months if they do certain things. Not one." I have to wonder how many cases he has worked on.

I don't doubt the rest of his statements regarding demons. I have read works by other exorcists. Exorcists learn and experience things that other priests do not get.
Old Mar 11, '11, 6:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFromWichita View Post
I had severe bipolar disorder. At the time I really felt like I was somehow directly connected to the spirit world. Some things did indeed seem demonic.

Now, looking back at it, I have no reason to believe there were demons anywhere besides my imagination. The imagination was very vivid, but no good evidence it was spirit-led or even demonic.

When the judge asked me, during my disability hearing, why I did certain specific things that were listed in the evidence, I answered with total honesty, "I'm not sure, sir. At the time I believed I was being led by the Holy Spirit." The judge ruled in my favor, to give me the disability.

To be accurate, I had many delusions, but no hallucinations. That is, I didn't see a crucifix move, for example, but I did think it could have been possessed and was trying to influence me while I was playing the music at Mass.

I didn't spend much time on the web site; it looked like quite a bit of material there. If you have a particular section to look at, I will. Meanwhile, I don't know that I've encountered mental illness that is a result of demonic influence.

That is not to say there is not a spiritual component. There is a huge spiritual component. But it was about my own spiritual situation, not spirits from the "spirit world" or some such.

Not to say it can't happen, but in any given case I'd go in with my first guess that the demons are entirely in the mind of the afflicted.

Alan
Thanks Alan for sharing that. I too am bi-polar... and have been in treatment for 5-7 years for it. Was also found disabled for 2 years by a federal Judge in a hearing. Very similar fight to yours it seems, Alan. It seemed wrong to proclaim myself disabled to something that seemed so real and it assaulted my conscience. I was my lawyers nightmare, so he settled. Alan, sometimes the Catholic answer is "both" when it comes to these things. We have to heal "mind, body and spirit" as I was told by a good Priest. The enemy is opportunistic as you may know and loves to discredit a witness to the good Lord's mercy. Take care, Samson.
Old Mar 11, '11, 5:54 pm

Quote:
I found this website by a exorcist priest who says that he gets bipolar patients off their meds in two weeks. He says bipolar is demonic obession. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this? I think its under spiritual theology under the demon sections.

I just finished listening to the programs on Spiritual Warfare. Father Ripperger does not say bipolar is demonic obsession. What he does say is that demonic activity can mimic mental illnesses. The "bipolar patients" he mentions were people who were determined to not have a mental illness, but were suffering from demonic obsession, oppression, or possession. Out of that group of people under spiritual attack, he was able to alleviate the symptoms of mental illness by exorcising the diabolic influence.

Go back and listen to his lecture more carefully. You may be taking his commentary out of context.
Old Mar 12, '11, 7:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

And then one wonders (note I have absolutely no experience with bipolar). Can someone who suffers from this...can their lifestyle at some moments open them up more to the opportunity to become oppressed, possessed , etc?

Just rambling .... By no means do I agree or even disagree with what I just mentioned.
Old Mar 12, '11, 8:39 am

The only way to know for sure would be to talk to Father Chad himself. I know he doesn't directly say "all bipolars suffer from demonic obsession" but I think based off his statements about bipolars he believes they do. Kind of like how no where in church doctrine does it say the exact phrase"oral sex", is a sin but based off other things the church says we can come to a reasonable conclusion that it is a sin. Again this is my opinion because the only way to know for sure is to ask Father Chad what he believes. I believe he said something about there having been some kind of disorder in the persons lives which openend them up to demonic obsession, not sure what he meant. There are a lot of really good talks on there, I just thought it was interesting. I think if there is a good likely hood bipolar cases are obsession that can be a good thing, not that it is a good thing to be demonically obsessed, but that it is a good thing because you don't have to rely on harmful medications for the rest of your life and all you need is prayers said over you and frequenting the sacraments and mental prayer to function in life.
Old Mar 12, '11, 11:47 am

Quote:
I believe he said something about there having been some kind of disorder in the persons lives which openend them up to demonic obsession, not sure what he meant.
Well, Father Chad did say that obsession is often caused by severe mental trauma leading to a spiritual dissociative state. In those cases, the mental state of the person makes them susceptible to obsession, but in no way does he suggest all people in that condition will become demonically obsessed. What he meant is related to fact that everything works according to authority on the spiritual level. When a person becomes disassociated from themselves, they are no longer in full control of themselves. That allows the demonic the chance to come in an try to influence the person's imagination and behavior.
Old Mar 12, '11, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Well, Father Chad did say that obsession is often caused by severe mental trauma leading to a spiritual dissociative state. In those cases, the mental state of the person makes them susceptible to obsession, but in no way does he suggest all people in that condition will become demonically obsessed. What he meant is related to fact that everything works according to authority on the spiritual level. When a person becomes disassociated from themselves, they are no longer in full control of themselves. That allows the demonic the chance to come in an try to influence the person's imagination and behavior.
This very interesting to learn and there is a keen knowledge of what may be bothering some with this MI. In my case, coupling bi-polar with ptsd caused a real trigger in derealization and depersonalization that led to some pretty strange experience's. I have had help from the Church after much discerment to cover all possible angles. Thankfully there are some Priests like this who understand that not every MI is black and white. That grey area is where the enemy finds opportunity's. An area that the timid are afraid to go.
Old Mar 12, '11, 12:40 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Quote:
I think if there is a good likely hood bipolar cases are obsession that can be a good thing, not that it is a good thing to be demonically obsessed, but that it is a good thing because you don't have to rely on harmful medications for the rest of your life and all you need is prayers said over you and frequenting the sacraments and mental prayer to function in life.
There is good news. In my experience, true healing is available as a gift from God, powered by spiritual growth. The Holy Spirit, aka the Divine Therapist, can actually heal the damage done by a lifetime of ills. The next question is how to invite the Lord in, and that is a whole discussion in itself -- there are probably as many views on that as there are spiritual directors.

I don't know for sure about obsession but I know a lot about being bipolar. I did some very strange things, including religious things, that could make a casual observer wonder, "is that guy possessed or something?" I myself actually believed I was fighting demons at the time, but I never actually perceived anything that gives me any evidence whatsoever to back that up.

First, a quick background note: my SD once explained why experts fail to help a person who's messed up in the noggin in one way or other. Human beings have six components: physical, mental, emotional, social, sexual, and spiritual. Experts, such as doctors, priests, etc. are too specialized, in that they have training in maybe one or two of these areas, and they try to examine everything they see from the narrow vantage point of their specialized training. So if a person's problems spans several of these components, no one specialist is going to be able to deal with the whole problem.

Well, in my case I was messed up spiritually, emotionally, and socially, and as a result that negatively impacted my mental state.

Psychiatrists know something about the physical, and a bit about the mental components, and their medications are geared to controlling symptoms. They are chosen, and diagnoses made, based on outward observations of behavior -- and can be somewhat vague or even subjective.

What the Lord gives through the Holy Spirit, is true healing that doesn't just control the symptoms, but eradicates the problem from its roots.

My psychiatrist explained it like this: medications are like a cast on a broken leg. The cast doesn't do the healing; the leg has to do it on its own. The cast is there to hold things in place and keep more damage from occurring, to give the leg time to heal.

The sad part of it is, I think only very few people actually receive true healing from BP disorder. It may become very small, and may stay under control for a short or long time, but vestiges of the disorder remain -- and can reclaim the patient under certain conditions. I think that's partly because very few people actually have a competent "team" that can help them with all of their ailing components.

These are all personal opinions only, based on my thoughts about my own experiences both as a patient and having met and talked to dozens of others with the disorder both in person and online. Nothing in here should be construed as medical or spiritual advice; just a story that I like to shout from the rooftops about the love and healing the Lord can bestow upon a troubled soul. I've experienced it. I believe I have tasted the Lord and He is good.

Alan
Old Mar 13, '11, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson01 View Post
This very interesting to learn and there is a keen knowledge of what may be bothering some with this MI. In my case, coupling bi-polar with ptsd caused a real trigger in derealization and depersonalization that led to some pretty strange experience's. I have had help from the Church after much discerment to cover all possible angles. Thankfully there are some Priests like this who understand that not every MI is black and white. That grey area is where the enemy finds opportunity's. An area that the timid are afraid to go.
I like the fact that Father Ripperger makes an effort to point out the difference between demonic obsession and the obsessions associated with OCD. He says they are not the same thing. Touching doorknobs or washing your hands constantly is not demonic obsession.

With demonic obsession, the person is obsessed with something (a concept or activity) and no amount of logic can dislodge them from it. The diabolical influence is dulling their mind so that they cannot see that their train of thought or what they are involved with is wrong or sinful. Confusion is given as a sign of possible demonic obsession.

So, people with OCD can relax. It's not the same kind of obsessive thoughts.
Old Mar 13, '11, 7:37 pm

Quote:
I like the fact that Father Ripperger makes an effort to point out the difference between demonic obsession and the obsessions associated with OCD. He says they are not the same thing. Touching doorknobs or washing your hands constantly is not demonic obsession.

With demonic obsession, the person is obsessed with something (a concept or activity) and no amount of logic can dislodge them from it. The diabolical influence is dulling their mind so that they cannot see that their train of thought or what they are involved with is wrong or sinful. Confusion is given as a sign of possible demonic obsession.

Yes, OCD is another thing all by itself. My dx for this surronded my own compulsions mostly. I would be in a mania when I recieved my SSI for example and spent 20k in a couple of weeks. The bi-polar, ptsd, and ocd are all tied into past trauma, namely 14 weeks of intense chemo and near death, when possible oppression started.
Old Mar 14, '11, 6:48 pm

Quote:

Yes, this is interesting. The obession referring to a certain image or like you said activity that they can't get out of their mind no matter how hard they try. He did mention things like someone who had exposed themselves to pornography, and that even when they weren't looking at porn, the images would keep coming up in their mind. I am sure there are other forms as well. He also mentioned those who were demonically obsessed had ususally numerous attempts at suicide. When he talked about the disorder in peoples lives that opens them up to demonic obession I was thinking (and of course I don't know) that maybe he meant some type of sins they were commiting in their life like the pornography, so that when they tried to go back to trying to lead a spirtual life, after having their conversion, they just couldn't get the images out of their heads, because of the disorder from their past sins from exposing themselves to pornography? I don't know just a thought. Also, I am sure the obession can take on many of forms of thought, and it was interesting about what you mentioned about Father Chad talking about the confusion being a sign of obsession, that no amount of logic could dislodge the thoughts from their mind. He also went on to say almost always when someone is demonically obsessed, the obsession can influence their dreams.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality