Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 10, '11, 11:26 am

Religion: Catholic, Anglican Rite
Default Holy Communion : Chew or Dissolve?

Since we were on the topic of receiving communion, I needed to start a different thread for my next question.

Last night I heard chomping away on the precious host in the pew (we sit in the front) My mom said we are supposed to let it dissolve and that chewing is not allowed. Is this true? I always let it dissolve but I do see and hear people chewing imediately... My mom is very proper in etiquette so not sure if she just told me that or is this really true.

Oh and also... if you receive the precious blood then you most likely have to chew it right away, huh? ...or what exactly do you do? My home parish does not offer the most precious blood so I don't know.

Thanks, this forum is great
Old Mar 10, '11, 11:33 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Holy Communion : Chew or Dissolve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushedByAngels View Post
Since we were on the topic of receiving communion, I needed to start a different thread for my next question.

Last night I heard chomping away on the precious host in the pew (we sit in the front) My mom said we are supposed to let it dissolve and that chewing is not allowed. Is this true? I always let it dissolve but I do see and hear people chewing imediately... My mom is very proper in etiquette so not sure if she just told me that or is this really true.

Oh and also... if you receive the precious blood then you most likely have to chew it right away, huh? ...or what exactly do you do? My home parish does not offer the most precious blood so I don't know.

I do not believe there is particular directive in this matter. One could do either (reverently).
Old Mar 10, '11, 11:35 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

I, too, was taught to dissolve but that is nothing more than a pious practice. Jesus said to take and eat. Eating involves chewing, especially when we are talking about something with the consistency of bread or today's thick whole wheat hosts. However, one should be as discrete about chewing the Host as one would be while eating in company anywhere: no open mouth, no noisy chomping.
Old Mar 10, '11, 11:46 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Hello BrushedByAngels; welcome to CAF.

My best answer to your query would hopefully reflect on the frame of mind on the communicant receiving the consecrated host and being mindful of our faith in Jesus who resides in that host sitting inside are mouth.

However one chooses to consume the host it should inspire reflection, respect, and humility. So if some chewing does become necessary our behavior should also be cognizant of the same reflection, respect and humility.

Peace
Chris
Old Mar 10, '11, 12:11 pm

Religion: catholic

The nuns always told us not to chew the host. Instead, let it dissolve.. so that is what I do.
Old Mar 10, '11, 12:13 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to trinichiqn

I was taught dissolve. I can't really say if chewing is wrong or not but maybe the person has teeth grinding issues, it is a horrible habit that I have and find myself subconsciously doing it, sometimes I don't even realize I am doing it.

Everything is possible to one who has faith.

I am wonderful because God loves me

How Much Is My Life Worth? A Lot Jesus Died To Save It
Old Mar 10, '11, 12:17 pm

I was taught to let the Host dissolve on the tongue. The reason given was that the Blessed Sacrament is the most holy and precious substance on earth which is why the priest's fingers are anointed, why immediate action is necessary is the Host is dropped, and why chewing is not encouraged. Just think about it, any chewed food gets caught between the teeth and so will the Host. We always need to treat It with utmost respect. Personally, I can not think of a reason (i.e. exception) for chewing over dissolving.
Old Mar 10, '11, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoira View Post
I was taught to let the Host dissolve on the tongue. The reason given was that the Blessed Sacrament is the most holy and precious substance on earth which is why the priest's fingers are anointed, why immediate action is necessary is the Host is dropped, and why chewing is not encouraged. Just think about it, any chewed food gets caught between the teeth and so will the Host. We always need to treat It with utmost respect. Personally, I can not think of a reason (i.e. exception) for chewing over dissolving.

May I ask: what immediate action is taken when the host is dropped? The answer I received recently "you just pick it up and pop it in your mouth." or something along those lines...
Old Mar 10, '11, 12:50 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nicolep

I don't think chewing is irreverent if done the right way. I don't really "chew". I sort of use my tongue, mouth closed to fold it in half. Otherwise, it sticks to the roof of my mouth making all sorts of issues when I received the Precious Blood.

In RCIA, we were told that chewing is allowed. It is real food to nourish our bodies. I'm not saying that it has to be right because it was said in RCIA. I've seen people chew with their mouths closed and I didn't take it as irreverent. I think someone smacking their lips and chewing mouth open would be appalling.

"...not my will, but yours be done" Luke 22:42
Old Mar 10, '11, 12:53 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nicolep

Quote:
May I ask: what immediate action is taken when the host is dropped? The answer I received recently "you just pick it up and pop it in your mouth." or something along those lines...

When it happened to me (and I think it was the proper response), the priest picked it up. I don't think it's appropriate for a layperson to grab it and pop it in their mouth. I have no official Church document on the matter, but I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable posters here do.

"...not my will, but yours be done" Luke 22:42
Old Mar 10, '11, 1:04 pm

Quote:

Chewing is perfectly fine. When Jesus talks about Communion, He actually uses words meaning "chew" -- which would seem to indicate that it's okay to chew, right?

Quote:
Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
John 6:54-55.

The first verb, phago, means "to eat." The second verb, trogo, means "to gnaw" or "to chew."
Thus, the quote could be rendered as follows:
Quote:
Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth [gnaws on / chews on] my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
So there's nothing wrong with chewing at Communion.
Old Mar 10, '11, 1:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic - came home 21/01/11

From what I've noticed in our church, a nice few people seem to chew. I wondered if the rules had changed since I'd been away from the church.

I was always taught to let it dissolve. I do not like the idea of chewing. But that's just me.
Old Mar 10, '11, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolep View Post
When it happened to me (and I think it was the proper response), the priest picked it up. I don't think it's appropriate for a layperson to grab it and pop it in their mouth. I have no official Church document on the matter, but I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable posters here do.

Wasn't there a time when they covered the host with a white cloth? I remember this happen a long time ago. It was a big deal (we are going back over 20 years ago) and it seem to cause a distraction.

I must agree with you on the layperson picking the host up and pop into their mouth. I can't even imagine the priest or EMHC picking the host up off the floor and then giving it to the layperson either to be honest with you... But in my case maybe times have changed and they just let it fall on the floor and ignore it til later
Old Mar 10, '11, 1:16 pm

For the past few decades (I can't comment any earlier), children were taught to let it dissolve out of a spirit of reverence. More recently, there has been a move to reconsider the Eucharist as food so people are now taught to chew if need be.

As Godfollower says, the Greek word is better translated as 'chew' (or even nosh!) than 'eat'. Nicholas King SJ has done a new translation of the New Testament which has received rave reviews from many theologians; he translates the word as 'munch'.
Old Mar 10, '11, 1:54 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Wasn't there a time when they covered the host with a white cloth? I remember this happen a long time ago. It was a big deal (we are going back over 20 years ago) and it seem to cause a distraction.

I must agree with you on the layperson picking the host up and pop into their mouth. I can't even imagine the priest or EMHC picking the host up off the floor and then giving it to the layperson either to be honest with you... But in my case maybe times have changed and they just let it fall on the floor and ignore it til later
When the Host falls on the floor as Communion is being given it can be immediately picked up and eaten by the communicant or the Minister of Communion (priest or lay person). If no one wants to consume a Host that has fallen on the ground, then it will be dissolved in water until nothing remains of the Host, at which point it ceases to be the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus and the water will be poured either in the sacrarium or on ground where no one walks.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments