Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 11, '11, 7:10 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Question Law of attraction?

Hi everyone!
In the last few years the law of attraction has become a great deal fo a lot of people... proved by quantum physics, metaphysics even Newton's third law.
What you love and focus about, you are gonna attract it...similar attracts similar, the Universe is a catalogue and you can order anything...you are the master of your own life....

They say it is actually the force of love and that is the strongest energy in the Universe.

But isn't it the same thing the Bible teaches us? If you follow God's rules, open your heart to His love and love Him deeply, then your prayers will be heard and He will always take care of you...more....you will have whatever you need. I am referring to Matthew 6:24-34

What does this mean? Does this mean that science got closer to God? They say the only thing you have to do is surrounding yourself with love and you will get more and more things you can love...but isn't that love coming from God?
Old Mar 11, '11, 7:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Law of attraction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia_A View Post
Hi everyone!
In the last few years the law of attraction has become a great deal fo a lot of people... proved by quantum physics, metaphysics even Newton's third law.
What you love and focus about, you are gonna attract it...similar attracts similar, the Universe is a catalogue and you can order anything...you are the master of your own life....

They say it is actually the force of love and that is the strongest energy in the Universe.

But isn't it the same thing the Bible teaches us? If you follow God's rules, open your heart to His love and love Him deeply, then your prayers will be heard and He will always take care of you...more....you will have whatever you need. I am referring to Matthew 6:24-34

What does this mean? Does this mean that science got closer to God? They say the only thing you have to do is surrounding yourself with love and you will get more and more things you can love...but isn't that love coming from God?
Welcome Zsofia:

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJaR...eature=related

God bless,
jd
Old Mar 11, '11, 7:56 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Oh wow that is really interesting and makes a lot of sense.
However the law of attraction as a natural law is not the same that Abraham teaches...I have to tell you that in this clip I got highly upset when I heard Abraham thinks God is the law of attraction! What he teaches is lack of moral and responsibility.
I also think that I could not express myself properly What I meant...is this: What if people are seeing this law of attraction in a wrong way because deep inside they feel that there is something similar that should exist....but they cannot see that God's love is the only way of achieving. They say if I feel good and happy I will attract good and happy energies...if I love others I will get love in my life...but that is God's law as well, and they do not realize that.
This law may exist but people misunderstand it and they go in the wrong direction....

The other question I was thinking on....at least science started to figure out there is a higher power in the Universe....of course they say it is an energy....of course it is our Lord and they do not want to see it yet...but I think it can be a little step science takes towards God unless they also go in the wrong direction with it.

God bless you all!
Old Mar 11, '11, 8:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Oh wow that is really interesting and makes a lot of sense.
However the law of attraction as a natural law is not the same that Abraham teaches...I have to tell you that in this clip I got highly upset when I heard Abraham thinks God is the law of attraction! What he teaches is lack of moral and responsibility.
I also think that I could not express myself properly What I meant...is this: What if people are seeing this law of attraction in a wrong way because deep inside they feel that there is something similar that should exist....but they cannot see that God's love is the only way of achieving. They say if I feel good and happy I will attract good and happy energies...if I love others I will get love in my life...but that is God's law as well, and they do not realize that.
This law may exist but people misunderstand it and they go in the wrong direction....

The other question I was thinking on....at least science started to figure out there is a higher power in the Universe....of course they say it is an energy....of course it is our Lord and they do not want to see it yet...but I think it can be a little step science takes towards God unless they also go in the wrong direction with it.

God bless you all!
Zsofia:

You are quite correct. This 'new-agey' thing is not good, nor is it the real thing. God's greatest command: "Love me with all of you mind, heart and soul," or words to that effect; and, his second law, "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." Pretty strange considering that everyone thinks that the 10 Commandments and the morality objectives are the rules/laws most discussed, these days.

My ex-gf is has recently gotten into this law of attraction thing. So, I'm very familiar with it, on a first-name basis. Any -ism that tears us away from our path to proper and complete salvation is, in my opinion, extraordinarily dangerous. It will affect our entire afterlife. I care far less about what happens to me, down here on earth, than I care about what happens to me after I die. I wish I knew how to love God more.

God bless,
jd
Old Mar 11, '11, 9:11 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

I agree...the law of attraction is actually the law of love and that cannot be wrong. New age philosopher grabbing it, turning it upside down to benefit them...that is wrong...

God bless you!
Old Mar 11, '11, 11:06 pm
Banned

Religion: Spirited, but no religious

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Hey, Zsofia, (cool name, sounds Magyar!)

Cool question, girl! Yeah, there's a lot of pop stuff out there and wow! big confusion, huh? Well, we know god is love, and that all comes from god. Stuff like the law of attraciton is how someone sees how things might work, and good for them for trying. But you are right, if we love god and our neighbors, good things come to us.

But what if it's just natural that when you think about things, your brain lines tings up with what you want as its focus? You know, like if you want to go home and get a glass of milk out of the fridg, you kind of line everything up, hardly thinking about it, and the glass of milk comes to you! And if you see good habitually, that's what you're open to and so you can see and act on things you couldn't if you were braining about bad stuff. That's a good reason to think about god and what's good and how and why, huh? It makes your brain do what you're looking for. So the law of attraction just means that someone noticed a part of how things work.

And maybe that's why we pray, too. The guy who wrote the narnia books said that he prayed not to change god but himself. Cool dude! He knew what that was about. He could line himself up with his brain to make great story books that had a point. Lots of peeps in history said stuff like that about deciding, choosing acting, whatever. Once you have a destination, your mind lines it up for you and deals with adjustments along the way. Some people who talk about the law of attraction make it sound like magic. It just means work and keeping focused on where you are going. Like one lady says--keep your mind so filled with light truth and love that sin disease and death have no place to enter. She was talking about soul, cause sure you might get sick and yes we die, but she's saying about keeping your soul clean and healthy. Cool huh?
Old Mar 12, '11, 9:07 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

You are right i am hungarian

Keeping your soul clean and healthy....great idea
Thank you for sharing your thoughts aQman and JD!
God bless you!
Old Mar 12, '11, 10:02 am
Banned

Religion: Spirited, but no religious

Quote:
You are right i am hungarian

Keeping your soul clean and healthy....great idea
Thank you for sharing your thoughts aQman and JD!
God bless you!
Aszt gondoltam. Nem nagyon jol beszelek, de eszbe kaptam hoj Magyar vaj. Isten veled!

You might enjoy this: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A965958260

One Universe, one law. The Universe must be interpreted by the laws of the One that is the Source of the Universe.
Old Mar 13, '11, 1:28 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Isten legyen Veled is aQman

Well I think I am gonna stick with something that universal...with or without the teaching of the law of attraction: GRATITUDE and LOVE

Old Mar 14, '11, 8:44 am
Banned

Religion: doubter

The so-called law of attraction is just another new age remake of you are the captin of your universe or that each individual is in control of everything.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy