Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 12, '11, 11:46 am
mrsbunyip mrsbunyip is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: March 12, 2011
Posts: 4
Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

I hope I am posting this in the right area. I am very grateful to have found a website such as this one where I can ask questions. I have a big one.

My husband and I were engaged in April 2009 with plans to marry in May 2010. We found out we were pregnant in July 2009 and eloped to have a JOP wedding. Our beautiful son is now 1 year old. I want to raise him Catholic.

Anyway, on the website of the Church for the baptism, it says If parents are not married, or married only civilly, they should speak to the Deacon or one of
the parish priests to see whether their marriage can be convalidated, permitting them to receive the sacraments. We are happy to help with this; no need for a big wedding. You are preparing yourselves to give good example for your child.


I have not been to Church in about a year, but I have been baptized and received all sacraments. My husband has not been baptized under any religion. My original intention was to be married in Church. He said he wanted to take RCIA classes, but his work schedule conflicted with those classes at the Church I want to get married at. There is another parish closer to our home that offers the classes on a day he would be able to attend (beginning in September/October).

Because our JOP wedding only had my in-laws, a brother, and a friend, we were hoping to have a large group of family/friends and a reception after our marriage would be convalidated. Because of the statement on their website, I feel that they frown upon this practice (of a "big wedding" convalidation). Is this something that is not practiced? Do you think they would convalidate our marriage?

I'm just nervous about meeting with a priest about having our marriage convalidated. I'm scared we will get denied and that our marriage won't be recognized in the eyes of God. I've heard mixed opinions online, and it makes me even more anxious to meet with someone. I will call, I promise, but I wanted to hear what everyone thinks. I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I thought having details would help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 12, '11, 12:08 pm
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,932
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbunyip View Post
Because our JOP wedding only had my in-laws, a brother, and a friend, we were hoping to have a large group of family/friends and a reception after our marriage would be convalidated. Because of the statement on their website, I feel that they frown upon this practice (of a "big wedding" convalidation). Is this something that is not practiced? Do you think they would convalidate our marriage?
I think you misunderstand. Many people don't seek a convalidation because they say they "dont have the money for a big wedding." I think the parish is trying to convey that this is not an obstacle to a valid marriage and people should not hold back on convalidating because of it.

Yes you can have family and friends there, and a reception too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbunyip View Post
I'm just nervous about meeting with a priest about having our marriage convalidated. I'm scared we will get denied
On what grounds?
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Mar 12, '11, 12:27 pm
mrsbunyip mrsbunyip is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: March 12, 2011
Posts: 4
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

I can understand the "big wedding" comment now. I was looking forward to having one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
On what grounds?
I am scared because we already have a child together, before we were married in Church.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Mar 12, '11, 12:30 pm
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,932
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbunyip View Post
I am scared because we already have a child together, before we were married in Church.
That is not an impediment to a valid marriage and convalidation.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Mar 12, '11, 1:16 pm
SummerSmiles's Avatar
SummerSmiles SummerSmiles is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 18, 2010
Posts: 1,095
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

Don't be afraid to talk to a priest and get information about a convalidation. I too had a JOP civil marriage and had it convalidated later on. My experience was that the priest was glad that hubby and I were taking the steps necessary to come back to the sacraments.

As for having a gathering to celebrate the convalidation, that is something to discuss with the priest when you meet with him. Some parishes do frown on making a big deal out of a convalidation. I'm not sure why. When my parents had their marriage convalidated, their parish priest was very insistent that the only people present be them, two witnesses, and the priest. At the parish where my marriage was convalidated, our priest also said that he'd prefer we keep it very small. My husband and I saw it as something to celebrate, and we felt it was important to have our friends and family present when our marriage was blessed in the church, so we had a bigger ceremony and reception after.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mar 12, '11, 1:37 pm
PrincessViolet PrincessViolet is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 11, 2009
Posts: 109
Religion: Roman Catholic
Talking Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

God bless you and your family!!! Don't be afraid to talk to your Priest. x x x x
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 12, '11, 2:22 pm
Catholic1954 Catholic1954 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2008
Posts: 4,717
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbunyip View Post
I hope I am posting this in the right area. I am very grateful to have found a website such as this one where I can ask questions. I have a big one.

My husband and I were engaged in April 2009 with plans to marry in May 2010. We found out we were pregnant in July 2009 and eloped to have a JOP wedding. Our beautiful son is now 1 year old. I want to raise him Catholic.

Anyway, on the website of the Church for the baptism, it says If parents are not married, or married only civilly, they should speak to the Deacon or one of
the parish priests to see whether their marriage can be convalidated, permitting them to receive the sacraments. We are happy to help with this; no need for a big wedding. You are preparing yourselves to give good example for your child.


I have not been to Church in about a year, but I have been baptized and received all sacraments. My husband has not been baptized under any religion. My original intention was to be married in Church. He said he wanted to take RCIA classes, but his work schedule conflicted with those classes at the Church I want to get married at. There is another parish closer to our home that offers the classes on a day he would be able to attend (beginning in September/October).

Because our JOP wedding only had my in-laws, a brother, and a friend, we were hoping to have a large group of family/friends and a reception after our marriage would be convalidated. Because of the statement on their website, I feel that they frown upon this practice (of a "big wedding" convalidation). Is this something that is not practiced? Do you think they would convalidate our marriage?

I'm just nervous about meeting with a priest about having our marriage convalidated. I'm scared we will get denied and that our marriage won't be recognized in the eyes of God. I've heard mixed opinions online, and it makes me even more anxious to meet with someone. I will call, I promise, but I wanted to hear what everyone thinks. I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I thought having details would help.
Been There. Done That. Make an appointment with your priest and have a lovely convalidation, small, medium or large.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Mar 12, '11, 8:19 pm
mrsbunyip mrsbunyip is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: March 12, 2011
Posts: 4
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

Thanks everyone. I think I just needed some encouragement.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Mar 13, '11, 12:11 pm
tafan tafan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2010
Posts: 2,769
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

You will find that the priest will be very friendly and encouraging and helpful. The Church really does heed Luke 15:7

"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Mar 13, '11, 1:02 pm
maryjk maryjk is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 4, 2005
Posts: 9,288
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Convalidation/Wedding Blessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic1954 View Post
Been There. Done That. Make an appointment with your priest and have a lovely convalidation, small, medium or large.
Me too.

And when you show up for that appointment, I bet the priest will say, " I am so glad you are here."
__________________
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." Margaret Thatcher

Making good people helpless, won't make bad people harmless.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Tags
convalidation, convalidation reception

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3893Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3461Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3170For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:31 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.