Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 12, '11, 7:57 pm

Religion: Catholic :)
Default Charity and giving to the poor (when to say "no"?)

Jesus often spoke of the value and importance of giving; I think specifically of St Matthew 19:16, where Jesus directs the rich young man to seel his possessions and give to the poor if he would be perfect.

Jesus seems to be making a clear point here that charity gives freely, just as we have received freely, beyond comparison.

So my question then: how much should we continue to give before we say "no"?

I was at a cash point to-day withdrawing money, and sat next to it was a man who appeared, and I assumed, was homeless. I wanted to give him something but had very little on me, yet I was withdrawing twenty pounds... I faced a real dilema as to whether I should just give him 10 pounds (about 20 dollas?), which admittedly is quite a lot of money... but then I wondered what Jesus might have said/ thought/ expected of me.

What do we do if we have money, but cannot really afford to give it so freely? How do we respond, faced with those who need more than we do? Do we just continue to give?

The same situation applies with friends... how far do we continue to give before we say: "no."
Old Mar 12, '11, 8:06 pm

Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic
Default Re: Charity and giving to the poor (when to say "no"?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Jesus often spoke of the value and importance of giving; I think specifically of St Matthew 19:16, where Jesus directs the rich young man to seel his possessions and give to the poor if he would be perfect.

Jesus seems to be making a clear point here that charity gives freely, just as we have received freely, beyond comparison.

So my question then: how much should we continue to give before we say "no"?

I was at a cash point to-day withdrawing money, and sat next to it was a man who appeared, and I assumed, was homeless. I wanted to give him something but had very little on me, yet I was withdrawing twenty pounds... I faced a real dilema as to whether I should just give him 10 pounds (about 20 dollas?), which admittedly is quite a lot of money... but then I wondered what Jesus might have said/ thought/ expected of me.

What do we do if we have money, but cannot really afford to give it so freely? How do we respond, faced with those who need more than we do? Do we just continue to give?

The same situation applies with friends... how far do we continue to give before we say: "no."
Catholics are'nt obliged to give money to the homeless, as money is just money. However, if a homeless man was standing in front of a fast-food place asking for a sandwich, I think you should buy him a sandwich.
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.
Old Mar 12, '11, 9:43 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Charity and giving to the poor (when to say "no"?)

Def. never give money while they are hanging out around an ATM, it will encourage them to contiue and make it unsafe for little old ladies who need some quick bingo money.
Also this poor fellow could turn around with your 20$ and go on a drinking binge, keep canned goods in your car and offer that if you feel the need. Chances are they will turn you down because what they really want is money for drugs not money for food.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics