Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 13, '11, 2:46 pm
NihilObstatINRI NihilObstatINRI is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 200
Religion: Trad. Roman Catholic
Default Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

I was at my home parish this Sunday and, just like last year, the priest has decided that throughout all of Lent our crucifix will be covered.

Long story short: It's both incorrect and spiritually inappropriate before Passiontide (at the earliest) or Holy Thursday.

I can quote to you the GIRM, Paschale Solemnitatis, the CCCB (my episcopal conference), the USCCB, and EWTN.

When I have to deal with a covered crucifix throughout all of Lent, I believe that it seriously damages my experience at Mass. The worship itself seems directionless. While the tabernacle is in an appropriate place, it is unadorned, and the crucifix should act as a more visual reminder of Christ's presence.
I believe it really changes the tone of Mass. At least it does for me. Lex Orandi Lex Credendi.
I believe that the covering of the crucifix also adds, intentionally or not, to the common theme these days which makes the priest the centre of the Mass. This is most clear through the common versus orientem posture of the priest that has become the de facto norm, as well as the situation of priests putting their own personal touches to the text of the Mass. By removing the crucifix, my priest seems to be directing attention away from that part of the Sanctuary, and towards himself. It becomes "his Mass", no longer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

In my perfect parish, the Altar, tabernacle, and crucifix would all be placed in the same part of the Sanctuary, but certainly not one of these elements can be removed without serious damage to the Mass. The decision to move tabernacles to side chapels is just as damaging, and just as obviously harmful to us, the faithful. We need to be able to focus our devotion on Christ, and those three elements both work together to help us do so visually. The crucifix reminds us of His crucifixion, the tabernacle of His True Present, and the Altar of His sacrifice of Himself. Lacking one of these elements, we are all impoverished.
  #2  
Old Mar 13, '11, 4:32 pm
on fire on fire is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: September 3, 2005
Posts: 96
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

at my parish they removed the risen Christ from above the altar completely from the cross,and covered up the Crucifix(also the risen Christ) that the accolytes carry in procession to start mass.....also the Holy water in the fonts is replaced with sand.....
  #3  
Old Mar 13, '11, 4:36 pm
NihilObstatINRI NihilObstatINRI is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 200
Religion: Trad. Roman Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by on fire View Post
at my parish they removed the risen Christ from above the altar completely from the cross,and covered up the Crucifix(also the risen Christ) that the accolytes carry in procession to start mass.....also the Holy water in the fonts is replaced with sand.....
Well getting rid of a "risen Christ" would generally be a good thing, as long as they replaced it with a real crucifix. A "risen Christ crucifix" is an oxymoron. A crucifix depicts Jesus' suffering, and is far more appropriate for and proper to the Church.
However, what you describe is even worse... and don't even get me started on sand in the fonts. Doing that is like taking vitamins away from a sick person for Lent. Counter-productive, to say the very least.
  #4  
Old Mar 13, '11, 4:36 pm
KathleenElsie KathleenElsie is offline
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 7,247
Religion: Romanian Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by on fire View Post
at my parish they removed the risen Christ from above the altar completely from the cross,and covered up the Crucifix(also the risen Christ) that the accolytes carry in procession to start mass.....also the Holy water in the fonts is replaced with sand.....
None of these are allowed in the GIRM.
__________________
Kathleen Elsie, SMIC
TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN.
James 4:17
  #5  
Old Mar 13, '11, 4:43 pm
melissa09 melissa09 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 15, 2008
Posts: 178
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

What's the GIRM? And ... so then why do they veil the crucifix and remove the holy water from the fonts during the Triduum?
__________________
Melissa

The church is my home...and the faith is my lifeline
  #6  
Old Mar 13, '11, 4:47 pm
NihilObstatINRI NihilObstatINRI is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 200
Religion: Trad. Roman Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa09 View Post
What's the GIRM? And ... so then why do they veil the crucifix and remove the holy water from the fonts during the Triduum?
General Instruction on the Roman Missal.
They do that for a very limited time to make a point that Christ died. During that very brief moment in the year we remember the time that Christ had descended into hell. However, it is very brief.
Also, if I recall the documents I sourced correctly, the crucifix should be unveiled after the Good Friday celebration. "The practice of covering the crosses and images in the church may be observed, if the episcopal conference should so decide. The crosses are to be covered until the end of the celebration of the Lordís passion on Good Friday. Images are to remain covered until the beginning of the Easter Vigil."
  #7  
Old Mar 13, '11, 4:55 pm
KathleenElsie KathleenElsie is offline
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 7,247
Religion: Romanian Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa09 View Post
What's the GIRM? And ... so then why do they veil the crucifix and remove the holy water from the fonts during the Triduum?
GIRM is the book of rules for the Latin Masses.

The removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:

The liturgical legislation in force does not foresee this innovation, which in addition to being praeter legem is contrary to a balanced understanding of the season of Lent, which though truly being a season of penance, is also a season rich in the symbolism of water and baptism, constantly evoked in liturgical texts.

The encouragement of the Church that the faithful avail themselves frequently of her sacraments is to be understood to apply also to the season of Lent. The "fast" and "abstinence" which the faithful embrace in this season does not extend to abstaining from the sacraments or sacramentals of the Church.

The practice of the Church has been to empty the Holy Water fonts on the days of the Sacred Triduum in preparation of the blessing of the water at the Easter Vigil, and it corresponds to those days on which the Eucharist is not celebrated (i.e., Good Friday and Holy Saturday only).
__________________
Kathleen Elsie, SMIC
TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN.
James 4:17
  #8  
Old Mar 13, '11, 5:17 pm
melissa09 melissa09 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 15, 2008
Posts: 178
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenElsie View Post
GIRM is the book of rules for the Latin Masses.

The removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:

The liturgical legislation in force does not foresee this innovation, which in addition to being praeter legem is contrary to a balanced understanding of the season of Lent, which though truly being a season of penance, is also a season rich in the symbolism of water and baptism, constantly evoked in liturgical texts.

The encouragement of the Church that the faithful avail themselves frequently of her sacraments is to be understood to apply also to the season of Lent. The "fast" and "abstinence" which the faithful embrace in this season does not extend to abstaining from the sacraments or sacramentals of the Church.

The practice of the Church has been to empty the Holy Water fonts on the days of the Sacred Triduum in preparation of the blessing of the water at the Easter Vigil, and it corresponds to those days on which the Eucharist is not celebrated (i.e., Good Friday and Holy Saturday only).
That's what I was saying, that our parish has only done it during the Triduum, but I was just needing a clear explanation for why it's only during this time! Thanks. Any chance I could find a GIRM to use? Then again, maybe I don't want to know if there are liturgical abuses my parish is commiting, it might drive me crazy
__________________
Melissa

The church is my home...and the faith is my lifeline
  #9  
Old Mar 13, '11, 5:20 pm
NihilObstatINRI NihilObstatINRI is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 200
Religion: Trad. Roman Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa09 View Post
That's what I was saying, that our parish has only done it during the Triduum, but I was just needing a clear explanation for why it's only during this time! Thanks. Any chance I could find a GIRM to use? Then again, maybe I don't want to know if there are liturgical abuses my parish is commiting, it might drive me crazy
I find the GIRM very hard to understand, so read it carefully and slowly.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...essale_en.html
  #10  
Old Mar 13, '11, 5:24 pm
KathleenElsie KathleenElsie is offline
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Posts: 7,247
Religion: Romanian Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilObstatINRI View Post
I find the GIRM very hard to understand, so read it carefully and slowly.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...essale_en.html
Another place is here. I agree that it is very hard to read and fully understand.

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/liturgy/girm2003.htm
__________________
Kathleen Elsie, SMIC
TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN.
James 4:17
  #11  
Old Mar 13, '11, 6:55 pm
baltobetsy's Avatar
baltobetsy baltobetsy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 6,196
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa09 View Post
Then again, maybe I don't want to know if there are liturgical abuses my parish is commiting, it might drive me crazy
You may have been kidding when you wrote this, but it's something to which you should give serious consideration.
__________________
Time is short; eternity is long. Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
  #12  
Old Mar 13, '11, 6:59 pm
NihilObstatINRI NihilObstatINRI is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2009
Posts: 200
Religion: Trad. Roman Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
You may have been kidding when you wrote this, but it's something to which you should give serious consideration.
I know what she means though. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
  #13  
Old Mar 13, '11, 7:16 pm
Annabelle Marie's Avatar
Annabelle Marie Annabelle Marie is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2010
Posts: 2,790
Religion: Catholic-Finally Came Home!
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilObstatINRI View Post
I was at my home parish this Sunday and, just like last year, the priest has decided that throughout all of Lent our crucifix will be covered.
d.
I would not like that at all. The crucifix is usually where I look. As I say prayers or sing...I'm singing to Him. I'm glad our parish doesn't do this!
  #14  
Old Mar 13, '11, 7:28 pm
melissa09 melissa09 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 15, 2008
Posts: 178
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
You may have been kidding when you wrote this, but it's something to which you should give serious consideration.
Umm I'm not sure what you mean? What exactly do I need to give serious consideration to? I definitely take liturgical abuses seriously (though I've never read the GIRM or studied canon law, etc) - to the point that it drives me crazy. And the response? I've been classified as over-sensitive. 19 years old. Sometimes I wonder if people even take me seriously ...
__________________
Melissa

The church is my home...and the faith is my lifeline
  #15  
Old Mar 13, '11, 7:41 pm
melissa09 melissa09 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 15, 2008
Posts: 178
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa09 View Post
Umm I'm not sure what you mean? What exactly do I need to give serious consideration to? I definitely take liturgical abuses seriously (though I've never read the GIRM or studied canon law, etc) - to the point that it drives me crazy. And the response? I've been classified as over-sensitive. 19 years old. Sometimes I wonder if people even take me seriously ...
I'm not sure if you can quote yourself, but here's the thing. I want to read the GIRM, but in my present situation, if there was a liturgical abuse happening - unfortunately, I wonder if I would be listened to or could do much about that. Hopefully I'm wrong and I could go to my priest and he would listen. I just don't want to loose my love for the Mass because all I can think about is that this or that is wrong, because I'm very scrupulous and could see my myself start doing that. That was the emphasis behind my first comment (before the one above) about not being sure if I want to know. Sorry.
__________________
Melissa

The church is my home...and the faith is my lifeline
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8304Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4358Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3617Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3212Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3203Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3070For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: B C Gill



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:41 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.