Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 7, '05, 4:57 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Uber-Roman Catholic
Default Jack Van Impe

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the tele-evangelist Jack Van Impe. He and his wife concentrate on Biblical prophecy, and I believe that they are Evangelicals. Anyway, as I was channel surfing this afternoon, I came across their show and was pleasantly surprised by their unvarnished admiration of Pope John Paul II. They tout him as a man who accurately predicted Biblical prophecy,and they were quite effusive in their praise of the Catholic Church and her election of Pope Benedict,and of the consistency of Catholic teaching.I'm wondering if one day we may see the Van Impes on "The Journey Home." Anyway,it was good to see Protestants so open in their praise of the Pope, and it could be in a way the vehicle by which Christians reunite. Many more Protestants than ever before are now familiar, and comfortable, with the idea of a pope. And many were quite fond of Pope John Paul II. So who knows, maybe in the Divine Scheme of things, the Liberals of the Protestant denominations as well as Liberal Catholics may split from their respective churches and join together, and the Evangelicals may come into the Church. Wouldn't that be something. But check out the Van Impes. They were even quoting Bishop Sheen who spoke about the bad bishops in the Church. They also praised the pope for censuring Hans Kung and others. They were really up on their Catholicism.Quite interesting they were and quite fond of the pope.
Old May 7, '05, 5:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jack Van Impe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelia
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the tele-evangelist Jack Van Impe. He and his wife concentrate on Biblical prophecy, and I believe that they are Evangelicals. Anyway, as I was channel surfing this afternoon, I came across their show and was pleasantly surprised by their unvarnished admiration of Pope John Paul II. They tout him as a man who accurately predicted Biblical prophecy,and they were quite effusive in their praise of the Catholic Church and her election of Pope Benedict,and of the consistency of Catholic teaching.I'm wondering if one day we may see the Van Impes on "The Journey Home." Anyway,it was good to see Protestants so open in their praise of the Pope, and it could be in a way the vehicle by which Christians reunite. Many more Protestants than ever before are now familiar, and comfortable, with the idea of a pope. And many were quite fond of Pope John Paul II. So who knows, maybe in the Divine Scheme of things, the Liberals of the Protestant denominations as well as Liberal Catholics may split from their respective churches and join together, and the Evangelicals may come into the Church. Wouldn't that be something. But check out the Van Impes. They were even quoting Bishop Sheen who spoke about the bad bishops in the Church. They also praised the pope for censuring Hans Kung and others. They were really up on their Catholicism.Quite interesting they were and quite fond of the pope.
On this broadcast Mr. Van Impe declared that JPII had signed a document with the Lutheran church that stated that one is Saved by Faith Alone. And he was tickled pink about that. We are saved by Grace Alone. Correct me if I have stated this wrong.

Ever watched Hal Lindsey? He has pretty good commentaries on political events.

Jesus, meek and humble of Heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

My Jesus, have mercy on me, a poor sinner.
Old May 7, '05, 5:52 pm
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

I've been following Jack Van Impe off and on through the years, because although I don't agree with all of his interpretations of the bible, he is so sincere and has learned so much from his personal studies and is truly a good man. He has learned much from reading information on the Catholic faith and he has a great knowledge of the bible. I, too, believe and pray that someday he will receive the fullness of the faith. I saw the same program you did and I ordered the DVD about Pope John Paul II because I was so curious of how much he has studied about him and his interpretation of what Our Holy Father has given us. No, I'm not one of those people who worry about the end times, I believe we always need to be prepared because God could take us at any time, perhaps today. But I keep openminded enough to observe God's signs.

For instance, was 9/11 a wake up call for us to stop abortion? We call the terrorists murderers and we murder our own children and call that our "right". Christ said whoever is sinless, cast the first stone. I say we are both sinfull. I pray for the terrorists everyday as much as I pray for those who accept and promote abortion.

Some of us need wake up calls from God and perhaps Jack Van Impe has a part to play in that and if he gradually comes to understand the true faith, he could do an even greater service to God with his ministry. I'm sure whatever happens, God will have a special place for him in Heaven.
Old May 7, '05, 8:22 pm

I have also seen the two episodes of Jack Van Impe on Pope John II. I beleive he does truely see the truth in the Catholic Church. He even said the Catechism is truth and straight from the Bible. It is amazing how Pope John Paul's death has made people see the truth of the Catholic Church. I think his death has helped Protestants look into the Chruch as Jack Van Impe has(he stated he read the Catechism twice) and they see some of the misconceptions they had about the Catholic Church are untrue. Obviously Pope John Paul's life was amazing but even after his death his legacy still has an impact and I believe it will continue to have an impact for a long time.
Old May 10, '05, 7:54 am
Book Club Member

Religion: cradle Catholic

Oh, this is refreshing to hear. I'm so sick of ministers bashing Catholic teachings. I don't know anything about Jack VanImpe so I'll do a google search. What channel is he on and what time?

Shannin
Corinthians (10:17)
Old May 10, '05, 7:57 am

Jack is a nice guy. A bit nutty though. His wife is a riot. I enjoy watching them occasionally just for the fun of it. I don't take anything he says about prophesy seriously. It is for entertainment purposes only.
Old May 10, '05, 8:04 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Talking Re: Jack Van Impe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelia
Whenever Iím bored or need a good laugh Ill watch Jack and Roxella its kind of like watching a bad train wreck...just cant take your eyes off it.

In my opinion they know thereís a lot of Catholics out there so if they can appeal to any of us there ratings will stay steady or even go up. Not that I donít appreciate the good publicity because I do.Its nice to hear a protestant speak highly of the Catholic Church on TV.
Old May 10, '05, 8:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic--returned 11/2008 Formerly LDS
Send a message via Yahoo to flameburns623

Someone will know better than I but I do believe the Van Impes have had some pretty anti-Catholic things to say as well over the years.
Old May 10, '05, 5:51 pm

In my opinion they know thereís a lot of Catholics out there so if they can appeal to any of us there ratings will stay steady or even go up. Not that I donít appreciate the good publicity because I do.Its nice to hear a protestant speak highly of the Catholic Church on TV.[/quote]

I don't think he would say these good things about the Catholic Church just to bring Catholics into the ratings. I think him saying these things would actually hurt him with the Protestant viewers. That is why I think it is genuine. He was actually even bashing Fundamentalists that are anti-Catholic. He was defending the Catholic Church and even said it is run by The Lord and the Catechism is Truth. I think these would hurt him with the Protestants. I think he really looked into the Church after Pope John Paul II died and saw some of his previous misconceptions about the Church proven wrong. I tihnk he has seen the Catholic Church for what it is.
Old May 12, '05, 1:47 am
Suspended

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameburns623
Someone will know better than I but I do believe the Van Impes have had some pretty anti-Catholic things to say as well over the years.
He still does. For instance, lately he's been using those forged prophecies purpoting them to be St Malechy's when almost every historian has said that they're not his. He's just trying to appeal to Catholics to sell them his anti-Catholic videos for a "donation" of $24.95 + S&H. I used to watch Van Impe a long time ago when I was 14-15, and I actually thought he was smart. Now, after going back and finally figuring out what he's doing, he makes me sick. Nothing but a charlatan. He's dangerous because he talks good of the Catholic Church when he's on TV, but his videos are really anti-Catholic.
Old May 12, '05, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
He still does. For instance, lately he's been using those forged prophecies purpoting them to be St Malechy's when almost every historian has said that they're not his. He's just trying to appeal to Catholics to sell them his anti-Catholic videos for a "donation" of $24.95 + S&H. I used to watch Van Impe a long time ago when I was 14-15, and I actually thought he was smart. Now, after going back and finally figuring out what he's doing, he makes me sick. Nothing but a charlatan. He's dangerous because he talks good of the Catholic Church when he's on TV, but his videos are really anti-Catholic.
Yes...true...I've been watching him for years. He believed at one time that the Pope after John Paul II would be the Anti-Christ who would usher in the End Times....He's predictions change of course, when the end doesn't occur.....Recently, though, he acts like he may convert....that would be hilarious
Old May 12, '05, 8:47 am

I haven't seen Van Impe for years, but I can remember him saying nice things about Catholics and the Pope maybe 5-6 years ago. He even said they used to be very anti-Catholic but that they've changed their hearts or something like that.

I also liked that deep-voiced announcer they had doing the voiceover for all of the videos and stuff. Occasionally he would appear on camera next to Jack and Rexella and just talk with them in that same deep voice. It was uncanny!
Old May 12, '05, 10:11 am

I've watched him over the years, and although his position toward Catholicism may be softening, he still does a lot of whacky things with bible prophecy. He is always pointing out specific nations or current events that he claims are prophesied in the bible, especially in the Book of Revelation. One must be careful to realize that these are his own opinions, but he states them as if they are facts.
Old May 12, '05, 3:51 pm

Religion: RC
Send a message via AIM to threej_lc

Oh, Jack Van Impe...

I remember I was watching him back in highschool in 1999. He pounded on the table and declared, "Jesus is coming again in the year 2000!" He then sited the y2k bug as being some fulfillment of a prophesy in the book of Daniel.

His wife then proceeded to say that we would begin seeing the first signs of it on September 9th, because the she didn't know if the computer would be able to "handle all those 9's." (for 9-9-99).

She meant 1's and 0's of course :-D

Josh
Old May 14, '05, 3:45 pm

http://www.thegospel.org/Pages/JVIM.asp

You can watch the April 16, April 23 and April 30 shows for yourself and see Jack apologize for anti-Catholic remarks and see his personal copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. He still says a lot of crazy things.

God bless you,
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions