Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 17, '11, 8:10 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Liturgy of the Hours: useful websites

"dmorgan" and "TheMc" both reference the website

http://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl

The site was out from sometime Wednesday to yesterday, but the good news is that it's now back up and running. Yes, as far as I can tell, it's as close as you'll be able to get to the 1962 Breviarium Romanum until Baronius Press comes out with its print edition or you happen to have an old print copy from way back when. I'm no authority on liturgical matters, so perhaps a priest or other religious required to recite the breviary could comment as to the authenticity of the website's version. If you're a traditional Catholic or just like the Latin, this is the place to go. Mr. Laszlo Kiss has indeed accomplished an impressive work of ecclesiastical scholarship in assembling all the sources needed to reconstruct the (1962) Divino Afflatu version of the Divine Office presented here. Click on the section "credits" on the homepage.

I understand that the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate [?] have also released a bilingual Latin/English version of the Office called "Breviarium Meum" available as an iPod/iPad/iPhone application for free from iTunes. I am not familiar with it, however.
Old Jul 30, '11, 1:04 pm

Religion: Catholic

I love Divine Office app for my mobile device. I put on headphone and do my walking or biking with the audio on in the morning. I feel like I am praying with the religious in a monastery while I stroll through God's beautiful creation!! their music is lovely!!

I am a newbie at the LOTH and this has been a wonderful experience for someone who is easily distracted when reading from a book.

Old Aug 10, '11, 7:46 am

Another useful site if you're using either the 4 Volume Liturgy of the Hours of the single volume Christian Prayer is St Thomas More House of Prayer. Using the link to Today's pages you can find the page numbers for Morning and Evening Prayer for each day.

I've been using the info at the site above and cross referencing it with St Joseph's Guide for Christian Prayer to keep my head from spinning on Feats and Memorials.
Old Aug 11, '11, 8:54 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkamoski1 View Post
All -

If you have an Android-based device, then I suggest that this app is really good for helping one to pray the Liturgy of the Hours...

https://market.android.com/details?i...s.MassReadings
This is a great app but they recently had to remove daily reading, liturgy of hours, new american bible and catechism because of copyright issues. Hopefully it will be back up soon.
Old Nov 28, '11, 9:05 am

This is all helpful information, I have been shopping for a LOTH app for my iPod/iPhone and have tried the Universalis app for free. There is a free app called Catholic Calendar that gives you the LOTH. If you like it, you may purchase the content for $.99 per month or $20.00 forever. I have also used the Magnificat app. and found that it is easy to use, although it only includes the morning, evening and night prayers. You get the first month free and then pay monthly from then on. What I like about it is that is seems to give you readings for each day so you are not reading the same thing everyday. I have also gone to the Divine Office website. They offer an app for around $15.00. That one may be the best one. Check the Apple App Store and see which one works for you.
Old Dec 3, '11, 7:59 am

Religion: Coming HOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysicmg View Post
I love Divine Office app for my mobile device. I put on headphone and do my walking or biking with the audio on in the morning. I feel like I am praying with the religious in a monastery while I stroll through God's beautiful creation!! their music is lovely!!

I am a newbie at the LOTH and this has been a wonderful experience for someone who is easily distracted when reading from a book.

WOW, I am totally getting the Android app... I really want to enrich my Prayer Life and This is just what I needed. Hope they eventually have a Android Tablet version as well.

2 Corinthians 12 9-10 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Old Dec 5, '11, 10:53 am

I would like to renew my call to everyone to pray the Psalms, to become accustomed to using the Liturgy of the Hours, Lauds, Vespers, and Compline. -Benedict XVI

Since our Holy Father has asked the faithful to rediscover the Liturgy of the Hours, I'd like to bring to the compile a few resources that anyone can use to begin praying the Liturgy of the Hours.

Electronic
Divine Office (All hours, price varies)
Web (Free)
iThingey ($14.99)
Android ($14.99)
Nokia OVI ($4.99?)
Mac Store ($14.99)
iBreviary, Pro Terra Sancta (All hours, free, 7 languages, including latin and english)
Web
iThingey
Android
Blackberry

Actual Books
Online Calendar for LOTH
4 Volume Set:
with Multi-Colored Vinyl Covers (~$150) (Matching Zip Covers: they exist, but I can't find them)
with Black Leather Covers (~$190) (Matching Zip Covers: $70)
Christian Prayer
Zip Cover ($54)
No Zip Cover ($37)
Shorter Christian Prayer (~$18)

Chanted
The Office of Compline (Night Prayer only, $15)
Mundelein Psalter (Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, Night Prayer, also includes the Sanctoral cycle and the Office for the Dead, $50)
St. Louis Institute of Sacred Music
Psalm Tones for singing yourself in english, adapted from the latin tones by Aristotle Esguerra (Free)

Extraordinary Form and Beyond
Divinum Officium (With multiple translations)
Web
Phone or Mobile device (Via web browser)
PC (Downloadable)

Last edited by TheMc; Dec 5, '11 at 11:12 am.
Old Dec 5, '11, 6:30 pm

Religion: Coming HOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post
I would like to renew my call to everyone to pray the Psalms, to become accustomed to using the Liturgy of the Hours, Lauds, Vespers, and Compline. -Benedict XVI

Since our Holy Father has asked the faithful to rediscover the Liturgy of the Hours, I'd like to bring to the compile a few resources that anyone can use to begin praying the Liturgy of the Hours.

Electronic
Divine Office (All hours, price varies)
Web (Free)
iThingey ($14.99)
Android ($14.99)
Nokia OVI ($4.99?)
Mac Store ($14.99)
iBreviary, Pro Terra Sancta (All hours, free, 7 languages, including latin and english)
Web
iThingey
Android
Blackberry

Actual Books
Online Calendar for LOTH
4 Volume Set:
with Multi-Colored Vinyl Covers (~$150) (Matching Zip Covers: they exist, but I can't find them)
with Black Leather Covers (~$190) (Matching Zip Covers: $70)
Christian Prayer
Zip Cover ($54)
No Zip Cover ($37)
Shorter Christian Prayer (~$18)

Chanted
The Office of Compline (Night Prayer only, $15)
Mundelein Psalter (Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, Night Prayer, also includes the Sanctoral cycle and the Office for the Dead, $50)
St. Louis Institute of Sacred Music
Psalm Tones for singing yourself in english, adapted from the latin tones by Aristotle Esguerra (Free)

Extraordinary Form and Beyond
Divinum Officium (With multiple translations)
Web
Phone or Mobile device (Via web browser)
PC (Downloadable)
GOD BLESS and thanks for all the useful info.

2 Corinthians 12 9-10 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Old Dec 5, '11, 8:05 pm

Large Type LOTH:

4 Vol

Christian Prayer

Shorter Christian Prayer
Old Dec 5, '11, 8:25 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post
Are there zippered covers for the large print?

Say the black. Do the red.
Old Dec 10, '11, 4:05 pm

I have just been reading through this thread and saw that someone asked about the hymn tunes. I use http://www.diaconate.org.uk/ - a website for those in the UK preparing for the permanent diaconate. On the main page it tells you where you should be looking for today's hours and gives a suggested hymn tune that can be played via windows media or downloaded.

All the best

Martin
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments