Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 17, '11, 8:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default What does the Bible mean by "Saint"

How is "saint" defined by use in the Bible? I am not asking how the Church defines saint, rather I want to know the distinctions used in the Bible to describe what are the qualities of a saint.
Old Mar 17, '11, 11:12 pm

Default Re: What does the Bible mean by "Saint"

I did a BING seach on "what is the Bible's definition of a saint" and got some hits.

Here's one of them

http://www.gotquestions.org/saints-Christian.html
Old Mar 18, '11, 2:44 am
Forum Master

There a wonderful non- Catholic sight to help perpetuate the already enormous apostasy. At this rate their will be another 5000 Christian Churchs in another decade.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Mar 18, '11, 3:07 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassina View Post
How is "saint" defined by use in the Bible? I am not asking how the Church defines saint, rather I want to know the distinctions used in the Bible to describe what are the qualities of a saint.
I am going to start a thread on Saints of the day and Feast days- Part 2.
This is an excerpt from the introduction.
I hope it helps.
”In the early Church, all Christians, being faithful members of the Mystical Body of Christ, were classified as “saints”. Saint Paul in particular, so, liked to refer to members of the early Christian Community. He spoke of “ the saints who are at Ephesus” ( Eph. 1:1), etc.
In the Acts of the Apostles, we also find that all who were followers of Christ were called “saints”.
The word “saint “is derived from the Latin word “ sanctus” which means “ holy”. In this original meaning of the word, therefore, “every Christian soul, incorporated with Christ by baptism, and having within himself The Holy Spirit( so long as he remains in the state of sanctifying grace), is holy; is a saint…” Leo J. Trese in his book, The Faith Explained.
Nowadays when we say “saint”, we mean only those in heaven.”

Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints
Saints' Discussion Forums
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Old Mar 18, '11, 3:27 am

Religion: interfaith

Saint means holy and did you know all who are in Christ's Church are all called saints. The church or the elect have a heavenly hope, Jesus Christ's as the sacrificial lamb entered into the Most Holy as represented in the Tabernacle.

By entering into heaven we become saints.

Your bro. Vic
Old Mar 18, '11, 4:02 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTaylor View Post
There a wonderful non- Catholic sight to help perpetuate the already enormous apostasy. At this rate their will be another 5000 Christian Churchs in another decade.
Old Mar 18, '11, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711vic View Post
Saint means holy and did you know all who are in Christ's Church are all called saints. The church or the elect have a heavenly hope, Jesus Christ's as the sacrificial lamb entered into the Most Holy as represented in the Tabernacle.

By entering into heaven we become saints.

Your bro. Vic
OK. I still need more help. I asked this question because I wished somebody a happy St. Patrick's day. A Protestant Co-worker, also wished her the same and then said, "But the Catholics mean something different than the Bible." I said saint means set apart. He said yes holy and set apart. All Christians are saints.

What are some strategic ways to respond to his remarks?
Old Mar 18, '11, 10:56 pm

No, that is not my opinion.
Old Mar 19, '11, 10:28 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker123 View Post
I'm confused. Is that last statement yours? If so, did you just "change" the meaning to fit what you think is right? Just a question.
The last statement is actually not mine, it is still in quotes, but I agree with it completely. When I say ' saint' so and so, I mean someone who has since died and has been canonized.
If there is a contradiction, I am sorry but I do not see it

Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Old Mar 19, '11, 10:36 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I'm confused. Is that last statement yours? If so, did you just "change" the meaning to fit what you think is right? Just a question.
I see what you mean Worker123, the last statement is not in quote.
. It should have been. It still does not, however change the fact that I hold it as true.

Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Old Mar 20, '11, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Worker123:

I also think it still holds. In general when we as Catholics talk about saints, we mean
1) Canonized Saints
2) All humans in heaven.
In casual conversation, we all tend to mean canonized saints. Nevertheless, the New Testament holds that all holy followers of Jesus are saints. I assumes this means without sin or any tendency or attachment to sin whatsoever. Certainly a high standard to which very few of us will reach in this life.
Old Mar 20, '11, 7:09 pm

Quote:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...estament+saint

Here is a link to a quote by pope Benedict in which he state that we are saints and we are not yet saints. Go to the Jan 20, 2011 posting.
Old Mar 22, '11, 8:03 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Saint..holy...

1. Saint is used in different senses by the Church

2. Those canonized are examples of heroic sanctity

3. All in heaven are saints ....some heroic some less so.

4. and Yes St. Paul referred to Christians of his day as saints...as holy...and indeed Pope Benedict notes this....so one who is "in Christ"..who is alive in Christ..is a saint.

"At the beginning of Christianity, the members of the Church were also called "saints". In his First Letter to the Corinthians, St Paul addresses "those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (I Cor 1: 2). Indeed, Christians are already saints because Baptism unites them to Jesus and to his Paschal Mystery, but at the same time they must become so by conforming themselves every more closely to him." --Pope Benedict XVI

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be...saints_en.html
Old Mar 24, '11, 6:06 am

Religion: interfaith

Council of Trent (1545-1563) in Part III on the function of the saints in heaven. In the 25th session, the Council of Trent saints are identified as those "who reign together with Christ" and "who enjoy eternal happiness in heaven," in other words, as only certain Christians in heaven.

Vatican II (1959-1965), the most recent of Roman Catholic ecumenical councils? Lumen Gentium begins with promise with its repeated emphasis of Christians as the holy "people of God." Indeed, the Council declares that, "The Church, whose mystery is being set forth by this Sacred Synod, is believed to be indefectibly holy" (Lumen Gentium, 5.59).

If your question then is what does the BIBLE mean by saint the biblical stance is briefly that all true Christians who die are resurrected as 'saints.'

That is the biblical view, so the question then arises why are some called 'saints'?

Well first of all, there are approximatively 10,000 so-called saints so does that mean out of all of the persons who have lived & died (now in the billions) there are only 10,000 saints?

What about the thousands of unnamed faithful Christians eaten alive in ancient Rome are they not saints? Of course they are saints.

So then why are some canonized as saints? The reason simply is that there are many, many, many saints but only some are DECLARED as saints.

This process of declaration that is to say canonization can be a long process. If we take the example of say saint Peter his declaration of being a saint was obvious.

The church has declared some persons as saints but actually there are countless others who are saints.

Here is an interesting passage of scripture worth considering.

Matthew 20: 20*Then the mother of the sons of Zeb′e·dee approached him with her sons, doing obeisance and asking for something from him. 21*He said to her: “What do you want?” She said to him: “Give the word that these my two sons may sit down, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22*Jesus said in answer: “YOU men do not know what YOU are asking for. Can YOU drink the cup that I am about to drink?” They said to him: “We can.” 23*He said to them: “YOU will indeed drink my cup, but this sitting down at my right hand and at my left is not mine to give, but it belongs to those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

The final declaration as to who are saints belongs to God.

your bro. Vic

P.S. Why can it be said that Saint Paul was the only living saint before he died? ( a bit of a trick question).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture