Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 18, '11, 1:27 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Christian
Default Age of baby's baptism

At what age should a new baby be baptised?

Thank you.

Last edited by Cecilia_Dympna; Mar 18, '11 at 1:27 am. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 18, '11, 3:55 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Age of baby's baptism

As soon as possible after birth. That is as far as the Church has decreed on the matter. What exact age this means for you will depend on your particular circumstances. Most people around here seem to interpret it as within about 3 months. There are plenty of babies being baptised older than that, but at least in the churches where I've been a regular, they're mostly from non-practising families.

I waited until my daughter was 2 months old because that was Easter Sunday, I wouldn't have wanted to have it much later but equally I couldn't have had it much earlier (even though I had prepared everything beforehand with the parish priest) as we had a difficult labour and birth then she was ill then I was ill.

Talk to your priest and try to see whether you can go through all the baptism prep before the birth (believe me, it's much easier to conentrate when you don't have the baby there to look after!), then get organising a date and planning! It's really not that much extra work to plan on top of all the stuff you'll be doing to get ready for the baby anyway. Good luck!
Old Mar 18, '11, 3:57 am

Send a message via MSN to FightingFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
As soon as possible after birth. That is as far as the Church has decreed on the matter. What exact age this means for you will depend on your particular circumstances. Most people around here seem to interpret it as within about 3 months. There are plenty of babies being baptised older than that, but at least in the churches where I've been a regular, they're mostly from non-practising families.

I waited until my daughter was 2 months old because that was Easter Sunday, I wouldn't have wanted to have it much later but equally I couldn't have had it much earlier (even though I had prepared everything beforehand with the parish priest) as we had a difficult labour and birth then she was ill then I was ill.

Talk to your priest and try to see whether you can go through all the baptism prep before the birth (believe me, it's much easier to conentrate when you don't have the baby there to look after!), then get organising a date and planning! It's really not that much extra work to plan on top of all the stuff you'll be doing to get ready for the baby anyway. Good luck!
Yep, absolutely!
Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi
http://marklambert.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Mar 18, '11, 4:16 am

Quote:
Actually, what Canon #867 says is: Parents are obliged to see that their infants are baptized within the first hew weeks.

The "as soon as possible after the birth" refers to something else -

As soon as possible after the birth, indeed even before it, they are to approach the parish priest to ask for the sacrament for their child, and to be themselves duly prepared for it.

It has, traditionally, been taken that babies should be baptized within two - three weeks after their birth.

It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva
Old Mar 18, '11, 4:32 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

Our first two were baptized by 3 weeks old, our youngest by 4-5 weeks. It probably took us a little more time to get organized for the last one because having kids seems to make everything take just a little more time. For example, I used to be 10-15 minutes early for everything before I had kids. Now, I arrive with only a minute to spare or right on time. Or, it could be that that is just when our Church scheduled baptisms. All mine are January babies and we wanted each baby baptized before Lent began, otherwise it would be way too long to wait for baptism, so maybe that it just how the schedule went. I really don't remember.
Old Mar 18, '11, 5:21 am
Prayer Warrior

Thank you for your help.

I don't really see how it would be possible to get the baby baptised a few weeks after the birth, as that would mean planning the date before the birth, and the baby could come up to two weeks after the due date. But I really don't want to wait too long.
Old Mar 18, '11, 5:27 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Dympna View Post
Thank you for your help.

I don't really see how it would be possible to get the baby baptised a few weeks after the birth, as that would mean planning the date before the birth, and the baby could come up to two weeks after the due date. But I really don't want to wait too long.
Yes, that is correct, you would plan the date before birth. Just go to the required class a few months before the baby is due. Then plan to have the baby baptized within a couple of weeks after the due date. If the baby is late, change your plans and just go with his/her schedule instead.
Old Mar 18, '11, 5:29 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:

Thank you.
as soon as possible, call your parish to make arrangments, and take preparation classes if required. These classes can be taken before the child is born so parents and godparents, take note.
Old Mar 18, '11, 5:30 am

Talk with your Pastor or the person at the parish charged with scheduling baptisms. If your parish does baptisms within the context of mass like mine does, they might want to schedule multiple baptisms for the same Mass. Just my 2 cents, but if you have this opportunity, take it. Having your child initiated into the community of faith is so much nicer when the community is present!

Also, since this is Lent, your parish/priest might want to hold off until the Easter season.
Old Mar 18, '11, 10:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Thank you.
My daughter is pregnant with my granddaughter. Our deacon suggested she and her husband go to the baptism class before the baby is born because after she is born they will be tired and busy with visiting doctors and family and resting. So they are doing the prep work, filling out forms etc this weekend. The baby is due on July 12. I don't know the date of the baptism yet, but yes, you can schedule it ahead of time. Just like we are planning a baby shower for June.

Old Mar 18, '11, 11:25 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Yes, that is correct, you would plan the date before birth. Just go to the required class a few months before the baby is due. Then plan to have the baby baptized within a couple of weeks after the due date. If the baby is late, change your plans and just go with his/her schedule instead.
But this would be impossible to organise. The God parents will have organised the day off work (all of the people I am close to, like me, work in health care and hence work weekends). I wouldn't be able to get them to change their rota at such short notice.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.
Old Mar 18, '11, 11:35 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
But this would be impossible to organise. The God parents will have organised the day off work (all of the people I am close to, like me, work in health care and hence work weekends). I wouldn't be able to get them to change their rota at such short notice.

I see your difficulty now, though you might still be able to pick the weekend 2-3 weeks after the due date and tentatively plan for that date. Then, if the baby doesn't arrive on his/her due date (or on nearby dates), you could work from there, perhaps? (I don't know about scheduling in the healthcare field, how far out or near one can make schedule changes without problems, etc., so maybe I am all wet with that suggestion.) At the very least, classses could be attended and paperwork completed at Church prior to the birth.

Last edited by SwizzleStick; Mar 18, '11 at 11:39 am. Reason: Addition for clarity.
Old Mar 18, '11, 11:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
I see your difficulty now, though you might still be able to pick the weekend 2-3 weeks after the due date and tentatively plan for that date. Then, if the baby doesn't arrive on his/her due date (or on nearby dates), you could work from there. At the very least, classses could be attended and paperwork completed at Church prior to the birth.
Thank you. I think though that I may go a bit further in the future and pick say a weekend 6 weeks beyond the due date - that way, baby will definitely be here!
Old Mar 18, '11, 2:55 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Thank you. I think though that I may go a bit further in the future and pick say a weekend 6 weeks beyond the due date - that way, baby will definitely be here!
That is a very good plan, indeed sometimes parishes make it difficult to get the baptism done 2-3 weeks after the birth. My first was baptized 3-4 weeks old and the second more like 5 weeks old because he came 11 days early and we had already picked a date because godparents had to fly in. (FYI most doctors won't let you go much more than a week overdue so you could probably safely schedule it for 4 weeks out and then it wouldn't be so late if the baby came early, and still 3 weeks out if the baby comes late).

Jonathan Danial 4/21/09
William Thomas 12/13/10
Claire Marie 6/27/12
Old Mar 18, '11, 3:56 pm

Quote:

You could have proxies stand for the baby if the godparents were not able to get the day off. I was a proxy for a godparent at a baptism because the baby's aunt could not get there in time. No problem.

It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments