Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 23, '11, 6:10 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Teaching Confirmation Classes: Resources?

Hi guys!

Well, I was asked to teach confirmation classes/catechism classes once a week for the students at my University. I agreed because I really wanted to do it, and of course it's a great opportunity to interact with people and to help people understand the Church. One problem though.

I wasn't given any kind of training - or any kind of booklet, pamphlet, syllabus. Nothing. I was told (by the person who I am taking over from) that they have done Mariology, the Our Father, the Saints, and a few other things. Which is great and I am sure they were taught well. But I do not have any resources. I don't want to teach a class based on my own knowledge because I might be slightly wrong and I want to give them a good, solid teaching with direction.

Feel kind of lost at sea. Are there any resources online that I can use?

Thanks
Old Mar 23, '11, 6:20 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Teaching Confirmation Classes: Resources?

catholic.net has a catechism 101 link you can subscribe to for weekly updates or access by topic, it is Q&A style like the compendium
catholic.org also has good reference articles you can download and print for "handouts"

The best topical outline I have seen that is easiest to use for someone in your situation is Making Disciples from Our Sunday Visitor. It is an outline for RCIA doctrinal instruction but there are suggested lesson plans for adult confirmation.

Each lesson gives CCC and scripture references, begins with prayer and a scripture, outlines "what we must teach", gives discussion questions and further reading. Since there are no "handouts" for participants you may want to ask if some handbook-style resource can be purchased for them, Handbook for Today's Catholic from Liguori has the basics of doctrine (one paragraph per topic), sacraments, prayers, practices, commandments, order of Mass etc.
Outlines of the Catholic Faith from Leaflet Missal is another good one, with a systematic doctrinal outline, excellent section on commandments and moral life, prayers etc. Each is less than $4

otherwise you can go on line and copy prayers, creed, etc as you need them

the basics you must cover are the Creed, Divine Revelation, Mission of Christ the Redeemer, sacraments, concentrating on Sacraments of Initiation esp. Confirmation, the Holy Spirit and the Church, Moral life in Christ, prep for first confession and communion if needed (review for others), Mass and the liturgical year, Christian prayer, discipleship and service, Mary and the communion of saints.

I have taught the entire course for adults using the Outlines in years I was given no other resource. Each participant should if possible be given or purchase a bible and catechism, so you can teach them to look up references there and make short reading assignments.
Old Mar 23, '11, 7:41 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsTheMan View Post
Hi guys!

Well, I was asked to teach confirmation classes/catechism classes once a week for the students at my University. I agreed because I really wanted to do it, and of course it's a great opportunity to interact with people and to help people understand the Church. One problem though.

I wasn't given any kind of training - or any kind of booklet, pamphlet, syllabus. Nothing. I was told (by the person who I am taking over from) that they have done Mariology, the Our Father, the Saints, and a few other things. Which is great and I am sure they were taught well. But I do not have any resources. I don't want to teach a class based on my own knowledge because I might be slightly wrong and I want to give them a good, solid teaching with direction.

Thanks
Bless you for volunteering your time and talents to building God's kingdom!

First, there's some bad news. Most American Catholics have about a first grade knowledge of their faith.

Second, there's some good news. Most American Catholics have about a first grade knowledge of their faith.

That means that you have a lot of work to do, but you don't have to worry much about covering "old ground." You can almost start from scratch and go from there. Plus, they're old enough you don't have to go slow like they really were in first grade. You can give 'em mostly "meat" instead of oatmeal.

Even better news! For only $27, you can download the 50 talk series by the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen that explains the faith (plus many other ones!) from the following website:

http://www.fultonsheen.com/Fulton-Sheen-MP3.cfm

I did it and they're absolutely wonderful, orthodox, and easy to understand!
Old Mar 23, '11, 10:58 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
catholic.net has a catechism 101 link you can subscribe to for weekly updates or access by topic, it is Q&A style like the compendium
catholic.org also has good reference articles you can download and print for "handouts"

The best topical outline I have seen that is easiest to use for someone in your situation is Making Disciples from Our Sunday Visitor. It is an outline for RCIA doctrinal instruction but there are suggested lesson plans for adult confirmation.

Each lesson gives CCC and scripture references, begins with prayer and a scripture, outlines "what we must teach", gives discussion questions and further reading. Since there are no "handouts" for participants you may want to ask if some handbook-style resource can be purchased for them, Handbook for Today's Catholic from Liguori has the basics of doctrine (one paragraph per topic), sacraments, prayers, practices, commandments, order of Mass etc.
Outlines of the Catholic Faith from Leaflet Missal is another good one, with a systematic doctrinal outline, excellent section on commandments and moral life, prayers etc. Each is less than $4

otherwise you can go on line and copy prayers, creed, etc as you need them

the basics you must cover are the Creed, Divine Revelation, Mission of Christ the Redeemer, sacraments, concentrating on Sacraments of Initiation esp. Confirmation, the Holy Spirit and the Church, Moral life in Christ, prep for first confession and communion if needed (review for others), Mass and the liturgical year, Christian prayer, discipleship and service, Mary and the communion of saints.

I have taught the entire course for adults using the Outlines in years I was given no other resource. Each participant should if possible be given or purchase a bible and catechism, so you can teach them to look up references there and make short reading assignments.
Awesome! Thanks alot, this has given me a lot of information and a lot to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyshme View Post
Bless you for volunteering your time and talents to building God's kingdom!

First, there's some bad news. Most American Catholics have about a first grade knowledge of their faith.

Second, there's some good news. Most American Catholics have about a first grade knowledge of their faith.

That means that you have a lot of work to do, but you don't have to worry much about covering "old ground." You can almost start from scratch and go from there. Plus, they're old enough you don't have to go slow like they really were in first grade. You can give 'em mostly "meat" instead of oatmeal.

Even better news! For only $27, you can download the 50 talk series by the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen that explains the faith (plus many other ones!) from the following website:

http://www.fultonsheen.com/Fulton-Sheen-MP3.cfm

I did it and they're absolutely wonderful, orthodox, and easy to understand!
South African here unfortunately

But thank you anyway, and thanks for the encouragement!
Old Mar 24, '11, 10:05 am

Religion: Catholic Professed Lay-Carmelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsTheMan View Post
Hi guys!

I was in your situation once and understand the difficulty!
I gave each student a Compendium to bring home with them.
I taught from the Appendix (a+b) emphasizing b.
Check it out!

Thanks
Old Mar 24, '11, 7:19 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

I forgot to say to search the evangelization forum for more discussion and resources, and thanking you on my knees for answering the call of the Holy Spirit for this ministry

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media