Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 28, '11, 9:49 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, traditional
Default Red Candle and the Presence.

Hi,

I am new here. I have also recently returned to the Catholic Church.
I am not sure if this is where I should post this or not but here is my question.

I read not too long ago that when you enter the Church you are to genuflect because Jesus is present in the tabernacle. I, also, read that when the red candle is lit, it is a sign or a reminder that he is there.

I think genuflecting doesn't seem to be happening too much anymore but that is probably another post.

My question is, does a white candle burning mean the same thing. Sometimes I go in and I look around to locate the red candle and I don't see it. At times I see a white candle. Does it mean the same thing?

One reason I am asking is because a church not too far from me doesn't keep the Presence in the tablernacle of the main church it is kept in a side chapel. When that happens the red candle is not lit and I know Jesus is not in the tabernacle but in some churches I see white candles instead of red.

Anyone know?
Old Mar 28, '11, 11:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Red Candle and the Presence.

My understanding is that if there is no red candle lit next to the tabernacle (and people are following the rules) then the Presence is not there and there is no need to genuflect.

I have not heard of (or seen) a white candle being used instead, but if there is one where I would expect the red candle to be and there is no red candle at all (lit or unlit), then I might genuflect and trust that God understands it was directed at Him. (This is based on uniformed guesswork on my part, if there is an actual rule covering uncertainty, it should be followed. It might also be better to not genuflect under the assumption that the red candle thing is being followed, and, if you're mistaken, trust that God understands you would do so if His Presence was indicated, I don't know.)
Old Mar 28, '11, 11:04 am

The color of the candle does not matter. Many of the churches I frequent have white candles in the sanctuary lamp. Many others have red.

Good for you for being thoughtful about genuflecting. Some people just do it mindlessly when they enter the pew. It's so much better to find the tabernacle and greet the Lord purposefully.

Welcome home!

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Mar 28, '11, 11:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to TeenageConvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Catherine View Post
Hi,

I am new here. I have also recently returned to the Catholic Church.
I am not sure if this is where I should post this or not but here is my question.

I read not too long ago that when you enter the Church you are to genuflect because Jesus is present in the tabernacle. I, also, read that when the red candle is lit, it is a sign or a reminder that he is there.

I think genuflecting doesn't seem to be happening too much anymore but that is probably another post.

My question is, does a white candle burning mean the same thing. Sometimes I go in and I look around to locate the red candle and I don't see it. At times I see a white candle. Does it mean the same thing?

One reason I am asking is because a church not too far from me doesn't keep the Presence in the tablernacle of the main church it is kept in a side chapel. When that happens the red candle is not lit and I know Jesus is not in the tabernacle but in some churches I see white candles instead of red.

Anyone know?

I don't think the color of the candle matters, as long as there is a light there. The parish I attend only rescently got a candle, thedy used to have a light next to the tabernacle.

But I don't know, I genuflect whether there there's a light or candle there or not

"There are two kinds of men, the rightious who sees himself as a sinner, and the sinner, who sees himself as rightious"

Bless the Lord, O my soul!

"And may the odds, be ever in your favor!"
Old Mar 28, '11, 1:41 pm

Forgive me if I mess this up. I'm pretty new to Catholicism, but I've heard that the other candles can indicate that a bishop is present.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mar 28, '11, 1:55 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Catherine View Post
Hi,

Anyone know?
Welcome Home Ruth, and to CAF.

Yes. While red is considered the traditional color of a sanctuary lamp, there is no liturgical law regulating the lamp color. What is required is that the lamp be near the tabernacle "fueled by oil or wax, and should be kept alight to indicate and honor the presence of Christ" (General Instruction of the Roman Missal 316).

God Bless
onenow1
Old Mar 28, '11, 1:57 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: Red Candle and the Presence.

An extra candle may burn on or near the altar for a bishop celebrating Mass, but that is completely separate from the sanctuary lamp, which is a glass-enclosed candle (glass color does does matter) that denotes the Real Presence of the Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle.

Though no longer required, a veiled tabernacle is also understood to contain the Blessed Sacrament.
Old Mar 28, '11, 1:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

In the pre-Vatican II days, I went into churches where the holder of the candle was blue, green clear or red. The candle itself is NOT red, the glass of the holder is red.

The color does not matter at all. The lit candle signifies the presence.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism