Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 30, '11, 4:26 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default 17 YO pistol whips and threatens Mom to co-sign for Nissan 350Z

She's on the fast track to reform school.

An Ivy League-bound teen who wanted a new car, pistol-whipped her mother and pointed a gun at her head when she refused to buy the ride, authorities said.

Rachel Anne Hachero, 17, had demanded her mother co-sign for a used Nissan 305Z and threatened to kill her when she said no, said Florida police.

The next day, Hachero came home with a 9 mm handgun, hit her mother on the head with it and put the barrel to her temple, insisting they go to the dealership together, The Naples Daily News reported.

With the gun in her purse, Hachero drove her mother to the lot in Fort Myers, Fla., where she agreed to sign for the car.

Hachero is an honor student at a prestigious local high school and had been written up in the local papers for her exemplary record as a student.

One report said she had been accepted to several Ivy League schools on scholarship.

Hachero's mother later searched her daughter's purse and discovered the gun alongside drugs and paraphernalia and called 911, authorities said.

When she was arrested Thursday, police determined the gun had been stolen from a port authority employee's house.

Hachero's mother declined to press charges, but deputies arrested her anyway and she was placed in juvenile detention.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati..._car_cops.html

Isn't this nut or what?

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Old Mar 30, '11, 4:30 pm

Religion: Episcopal
Default Re: 17 YO pistol whips and threatens Mom to co-sign for Nissan 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenOne View Post

An Ivy League-bound teen who wanted a new car, pistol-whipped her mother and pointed a gun at her head when she refused to buy the ride, authorities said.

Rachel Anne Hachero, 17, had demanded her mother co-sign for a used Nissan 305Z and threatened to kill her when she said no, said Florida police.

The next day, Hachero came home with a 9 mm handgun, hit her mother on the head with it and put the barrel to her temple, insisting they go to the dealership together, The Naples Daily News reported.

With the gun in her purse, Hachero drove her mother to the lot in Fort Myers, Fla., where she agreed to sign for the car.

Hachero is an honor student at a prestigious local high school and had been written up in the local papers for her exemplary record as a student.

One report said she had been accepted to several Ivy League schools on scholarship.

Hachero's mother later searched her daughter's purse and discovered the gun alongside drugs and paraphernalia and called 911, authorities said.

When she was arrested Thursday, police determined the gun had been stolen from a port authority employee's house.

Hachero's mother declined to press charges, but deputies arrested her anyway and she was placed in juvenile detention.

Isn't this nut or what?
Obviously this child is in need of professional help to deal with her issues.

Proud Independent Since 1973
Old Mar 30, '11, 5:03 pm
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
I'm sure she can receive psychiatric services at one of FL's finer correctional institutions.

It's interesting to me how people react to stories (starting with the reporters who write them). Would anyone describe a 17 gangbanger as a "child" or suggest that s/he needs help?
The magic elements here are she's female & had been accepted to Ivy League schools.

Don't mean to pick on you, gamewell, but this is a reaction I've noticed a lot.

Old Mar 30, '11, 5:09 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
Child?

Yes, she needs professional help all right. It looks like the professionals at juvi will be helping her out (and us too) by keeping her away from civilized society, at least for a little while. Maybe when she gets out she will have reformed her ways. We can only hope, though I'm not sure hope is well founded. The young woman sounds like a sociopath.
Old Mar 30, '11, 5:18 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Child?

Yes, she needs professional help all right. It looks like the professionals at juvi will be helping her out (and us too) by keeping her away from civilized society, at least for a little while. Maybe when she gets out she will have reformed her ways. We can only hope, though I'm not sure hope is well founded. The young woman sounds like a sociopath.
Oops, I need to correct my word choice above. According to this source, she sounds more like a psychopath rather than a sociopath.

What is the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...d_a_psychopath
Old Mar 30, '11, 5:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

OBVIOUSLY, this girl deserves to be in juvi for what she did to her mother, however, I am surprised to see that no one has thought about the girl. Yes, she needs help and did a very bad thing... but doesn't this seem like an awful huge cry for help from a girl who seemingly has tried hard in life so far? Seems to me we should pray for her and her mother.
Old Mar 30, '11, 5:50 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnagrla View Post
OBVIOUSLY, this girl deserves to be in juvi for what she did to her mother, however, I am surprised to see that no one has thought about the girl. Yes, she needs help and did a very bad thing... but doesn't this seem like an awful huge cry for help from a girl who seemingly has tried hard in life so far? Seems to me we should pray for her and her mother.
It is a whole lot more than a cry for help. It is a laundry list of criminal actions. But, I do agree that prayer is always a very good idea.
Old Mar 30, '11, 6:07 pm
Veteran Member

Here is some good commentary on the situation.

"Rachel Anne Hachero Pistol Whips Mother, Forces Her To Buy Sports Car?

...I’m not sure what appalls me the most—-that a teen could pistol whip and threaten a parent into buying them a shiny sports car, or that a parent would choose to not prosecute! Surely Linda Hachero doesn’t want her daughter around other students, knowing her propensity for violence! Or is this where these school shooters come from—-mom and dad look away and make their problem child societies problem?

I certainly hope this young woman isn’t allowed on any campus, Ive League or otherwise. This wasn’t some acting out little temper tantrum. Rachel allegedly hit her own Mother in the head several times with a gun, then threatened her with death—–over a car! How did a 2004 black Nissan 350Z become more important than a Mother? Would you want your offspring anywhere near this person?

Rachel Anne Hachero is now facing charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, and unlawful possession of a firearm by a person younger than 18 and battery. According to attorney Jay Brizel a judge has ruled the Rachel must stay in juvenile detention. For now.

What do you think about this young woman making the decision that an object, albeit a nice car, is worth pistol whipping and terrorizing her own mother? Does she deserve a ’second chance,’ because she’s an honor student—-and made a mistake? Or should she be treated as any other teen would be, and likely shown no mercy?
What would you do if this was your daughter? Personally, mine would sit in jail, then hopefully be transported to some long term mental health facility."...

Excerpted from: http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=2950#more-295
Old Mar 30, '11, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Here is some good commentary on the situation.
What do you think about this young woman making the decision that an object, albeit a nice car, is worth pistol whipping and terrorizing her own mother?
Does she deserve a ’second chance,’ because she’s an honor student—-and made a mistake?
Or should she be treated as any other teen would be, and likely shown no mercy?
What would you do if this was your daughter? Personally, mine would sit in jail, then
hopefully be transported to some long term mental health facility."...

I completely agree. She needs jail, and HELP. How can we judge the mother's actions? We are not in her shoes, know their history.. I don't think she deserves a second chance more than someone else because I don't have all the information. Only those closest can make those determinations.

Who are we to judge at all?
Old Mar 30, '11, 6:24 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

The true problem with the 24 hour news cycle. This has nothing to do with you or I.

John
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old Mar 30, '11, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcelt View Post
The true problem with the 24 hour news cycle. This has nothing to do with you or I.

John
Well said.
Old Mar 30, '11, 6:56 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
I'm sure she can receive psychiatric services at one of FL's finer correctional institutions.
If she's a first time offender I'd opine that they'll most likely give her probation and a requirement to seek professional help to the satisfaction of the court, unless its determined that she would continue to be a hazard to the public.

Quote:
It's interesting to me how people react to stories (starting with the reporters who write them). Would anyone describe a 17 gangbanger as a "child" or suggest that s/he needs help?
The magic elements here are she's female & had been accepted to Ivy League schools.
Legally she's a minor (I'm basing it on 18 being considered an adult in most circles).

Since most rational thinking people would not pistol-whip or put the barrel of a gun against someones head in order to purchase a car, I do believe that the person, aside from the legal issues, definitely needs help to get to the bottom of the problem and reasonably assure that it doesn't happen again.

Quote:
Don't mean to pick on you, gamewell, but this is a reaction I've noticed a lot.
[/font][/size]
No problem, your a lot nicer to me then some in here.

Proud Independent Since 1973
Old Mar 30, '11, 8:02 pm
Banned

Religion: Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenOne View Post

Isn't this nut or what?
No real Ivy Leaguer would resort to pistol-whipping their mom. They might seek to have them ruled incompetent or otherwise maneuver them out of control of the family holdings, but not even a Yaley resorts to this kind of thuggery....
Old Mar 31, '11, 5:03 am

Guns, drugs, paraphernalia, pistol whipping and fast imports. Add in some noise and there you have it... a recipe for a rap song.
Old Mar 31, '11, 5:26 am

Another terrible news from Filipinos abroad.

How then can a gentile who knows Christ as Savior not love the Jewish people, a people loved by God, chosen by him for his own glory?

www.catholicsforisrael.com

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News