Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 31, '11, 4:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Joining the priesthood?

I think I may be called to join the clergy. Obviously I haven't made a final decision yet, but while I pray on this issue, I was wondering if there were any priests on CAF who would be willing to answer a few questions. Really, I'm just looking for details vis-a-vis clerical life. Do you have to go where the Vatican sends you, or do you have some say in the matter? Do priests even have a salary, pension plan, et cetera? What are the requirements beyond seminary?

I'm particularly interested in the Dominican order. Would any Dominicans be open to sharing their stories? Thanks so much in advance. Pax Christi.
Old Mar 31, '11, 5:25 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Joining the priesthood?

Matthew, in the meantime, I googled "Discerning Dominican Priesthood"...a number of sites were listed so you may wish to explore...until you receive the responses you desire.

http://www.op-stjoseph.org/blog/disc...the_priesthood

http://www.spiritualitytoday.org/spi...243rausch.html

http://www.cincinnativocations.org/h...-reading-list/

http://dominicanvocations.com/index....tting_started/

A link to a Dominican parish in Portland Oregon. You might find it helpful to contact a priest there for the practical details you request.
Priesthood, in this instance priesthood in a religious Order, is a vocation from God which we may accept or, sadly, reject, not simply a decision based on viability, and it is carefully discerned by the person and also by the Order.
http://www.holyrosarypdx.org/
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Last edited by Trishie; Mar 31, '11 at 5:44 pm.
Old Apr 1, '11, 7:11 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdknight View Post
I think I may be called to join the clergy. Obviously I haven't made a final decision yet, but while I pray on this issue, I was wondering if there were any priests on CAF who would be willing to answer a few questions. Really, I'm just looking for details vis-a-vis clerical life. Do you have to go where the Vatican sends you, or do you have some say in the matter? Do priests even have a salary, pension plan, et cetera? What are the requirements beyond seminary?

I'm particularly interested in the Dominican order. Would any Dominicans be open to sharing their stories? Thanks so much in advance. Pax Christi.
If you feel called and called to a certain order you need to contact the superior of that order they will direct you. iIf called to priesthood but not a order then contact the vocations director of your diocesees.

He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed
Old Apr 1, '11, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdknight View Post
Do you have to go where the Vatican sends you, or do you have some say in the matter? Do priests even have a salary, pension plan, et cetera? What are the requirements beyond seminary?

The answer to those questions depends on what kind of vocation you're living. First, lets distinguish between the priesthood and religious life, or essentially between secular priests and religious priests for the purposes of your questions.

A secular priest is for the most part you're regular parish priest. He has a college degree, then completes seminary and is ordained a priest. He makes a promise of obedience to his ordinary (his bishop) which binds him for all diocesan matters (essentially, for work). The secular priest gets paid a salary and has to save his own pension plan, health insurance, ect (unless the diocese has something for the priests). I've seen Brother JR say several times that a secular priest can refuse to be sent to a certain parish, but if he's not woking then he doesn't get paid.

A secular priest is free to do anything that would not cause scandal when not doing official priestly duties. He can live wherever he chooses (the rectory or a private residence), he can go to the movies, the mall, take supplemental courses in school or whatever.

A religious priest is a consecrated religious person who has subsequently been called to be a priest. The Dominicans are an example of a religious order. People who become a Religious are a Religious first, even if they are also a priest. Religious don't receive individual salaries or anything because they take a vow of poverty. Their Order (or Congregation) provides everything for them - food, housing, clothing, transportation, ect. If a Religious works a job that makes money (like a professor), the money goes to the Order, not to the person. The Order is obliged to take care of it's members from the time they make final vows until they die.

Religious also make a vow of obedience, which means they must follow the direction of their Superior. If the Superior says you're going to go teach in California, then you're going to go teach in California. If the Superior says you're going to go preach on the streets of Amsterdam, then you're going to go preach on the streets of Amsterdam. In some Orders and Congregations they do not usually do that though and allow you to have some choice (so if an "opening" comes up at one of their ministries, you can "apply" for that opening as it were).

The best thing to do is to talk to a spiritual director, someone in the Church you trust. Probably the best place to start is your parish priest, and he will at the very least refer you to someone. Be open to God's Will (because God knows us better than we know ourselves, and He will always guide you to the best path for your life), receive the Sacraments frequently, and pray. Spend some time in quiet Adoration if you can.

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations