Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: As a Non-Catholic do you own a crucifix?
Yes 18 60.00%
No 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Mar 31, '11, 4:50 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Lutheran
Default How many Non-Catholics wear a Crucifix?

I am just curious how many people who are Non-Catholics either wear a crucifix or have one in their homes. I don't mean to leave out the Catholics, just curious how the Non-Catholics feel.
I am a devout Lutheran and I wear one.

Joshua
Old Mar 31, '11, 5:02 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS - converting to Catholicism
Default Re: How many Non-Catholics wear a Crucifix?

It won't let me vote in the poll.

I have a crucifix...but I hardly ever wear it. I like my cross better.
Old Mar 31, '11, 6:00 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Here in Japan all kinds of people wear crosses, crucifixes and even rosaries, not as signs of faith, but as decoration and because they think it looks cool. I never asume the individual is a Christian. On the other hand, my wife, who is a Japanese convert to Catholicism, was wearing a necklace with the Christian symbol of the fish (I can't remember what it is called . . . is it icthus?) and a stranger asked her if she was Christian. She then whispered the information that she was also a Christian. I guess a fish sign isn't recognized as cool in Japan, yet, and hasn't been borrowed for more mundane uses.
Old Mar 31, '11, 6:36 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS

I am Lutheran MS. I am married to a Catholic, so by default we have crucifixes in our house. However, I did own two papal blessed rosaries prior to my marriage.
Old Mar 31, '11, 6:44 pm

Religion: Catholic- Former Baptist

Before I became Catholic I only wore crosses not crucifixes but I never thought there was anything wrong with crucifixes like some of my other non Catholic brethren

I didn't vote in the poll though since I am now Catholic and proudly wear my crucifix

It bugs me to see some of my students wearing rosaries. They like my crucifix and my saints wood bracelet (you know the ones with the pictures on it) and they want to go buy them but only for fashion. I didn't know Catholicism was so stylish these days. Maybe by wearing them they will be granted the grace of being interested in the prayers too.

Tiber Swim Team 2008

Please Remember the Souls in Purgatory.

Old Mar 31, '11, 6:53 pm

Religion: Roman Cathoilc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustinaClare View Post
Before I became Catholic I only wore crosses not crucifixes but I never thought there was anything wrong with crucifixes like some of my other non Catholic brethren

I didn't vote in the poll though since I am now Catholic and proudly wear my crucifix

It bugs me to see some of my students wearing rosaries. They like my crucifix and my saints wood bracelet (you know the ones with the pictures on it) and they want to go buy them but only for fashion. I didn't know Catholicism was so stylish these days. Maybe by wearing them they will be granted the grace of being interested in the prayers too.
I agree with your comment that people are wearing Rosaries as "costume jewelry" these days.
I think the lovely cast of "The Jersey Shore" started this fad. I actually saw Rosaries hanging with the necklaces at target last week. It's so disrespectful...
Old Mar 31, '11, 7:24 pm
Banned

Religion: non-Catholic

I voted no. No crucifix, no cross, no fish, no WWJD bracelet. I have nothing against any of it; I just don't own or wear any of that stuff. I wear regular clothes. I do shoes and socks. Sometimes sunglasses, if I'm outside and I need them. Maybe a hat. Coat and gloves some parts of the year. That's it. If I start wearing a necklace of any sort in the near future, it'll be a plain brown one that I make from string. I may or may not do that, and if I do, I'll wear it here and there for a few months until it wears out or breaks or I just lose it.

There have been a few times in the past when I've worn certain articles for short periods of time- nothing of religious significance, and nothing that I wore consistently or kept for any significant period of time. I guess that let me know something about myself- if I have a necklace or bracelet of some sort, I'm not going to hang onto it long-term or make it a part of what I'm always wearing.

If I did have a crucifix or a necklace with a cross or anything like that, I'd probably do similar things with them in the long-term. Not because Christianity means nothing to me or because the Cross means nothing to me, but because necklaces mean nothing to me. I wouldn't want to get something like that and then do what I always do with these kinds of things over the long term. In the short term, I'd feel like I have to wear it more than I really want to just because it's a cross or whatever the symbol is. In the long term, though, I think my lack of fashion sense and ambivalence (not contempt by any stretch, just ambivalence) toward necklaces and bracelets and so forth would win out and I'd stop wearing whatever the thing is. Then I'd feel kind of bad about that. But I know how I am and I can anticipate what would happen, so I just don't wear those kinds of things.

If it's a kind-of-cool-looking necklace that I made from string while I was bored, that would be a different story. I wear it for awhile, then something happens to it or I just stop wearing it. No big deal; it didn't really mean anything in the first place so it makes sense for me to treat it like it doesn't mean anything. I've done that before; I might do it again. That's what I generally do with these kinds of things no matter what it is, and that's why I won't spend money on them. It's also why I won't start wearing something with a religious symbol that probably won't wind up being a long-term thing. It does mean something and it does have significance, but I'm not the right kind of person to wear it.
Old Mar 31, '11, 7:24 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickimonica View Post
I agree with your comment that people are wearing Rosaries as "costume jewelry" these days.
I think the lovely cast of "The Jersey Shore" started this fad. I actually saw Rosaries hanging with the necklaces at target last week. It's so disrespectful...
It offends me to see people use them as an accesory and I'm not Catholic.
Old Mar 31, '11, 9:54 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Lutheran

Yeah I don't like that they use them as a fashion statement. I read in some newspaper that some gangs are using rosaries as status symbols. Not the original article but similar
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...es-gangs_N.htm
Old Apr 1, '11, 5:40 am

Religion: other

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickimonica View Post
\

That's nothing new. The goths and metal heads have been wearing them for years! lol

~C. S. Lewis, Letters to an American Lady~
Old Apr 1, '11, 5:42 am

Religion: other

I would not wear a crucifix but do own a beautiful one given to me as a gift. It is hand made out of Olive wood from the Holy land by monks.

~C. S. Lewis, Letters to an American Lady~
Old Apr 1, '11, 5:51 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwano View Post
Here in Japan all kinds of people wear crosses, crucifixes and even rosaries, not as signs of faith, but as decoration and because they think it looks cool.
I didn't know that. I do see this in the US.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Apr 1, '11, 6:42 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

I have a variety of crosses & crucifix and I do wear them.

I also have a cross in each bedroom and also one by the main entrance to the house.

My front screen door is glass and I have a suction cup hook and on it hangs a cross and a 4 inch cross stitched angel.

Old Apr 1, '11, 6:52 am

I worked with a baptist who wore one and my baptist neighbors have a crucifix on their living room wall.
Frankly, I don't get it.
Before the goths and metal-heads, I think we can "thank" Madonna (the singer) for the wearing crosses as a fashion statement trend.
I too find it all very disrespectful but it's a great conversation starter as a chance to witness to the true faith of The Holy Catholic Church.
Old Apr 1, '11, 7:24 am

Even before considering conversion, I've worn a crucifix. I wear it daily during Lent as a reminder to myself of my Lenten commitments. I have several crosses that have been gifted to me, but I've never felt the same about the cross vs. crucifix that many of my Protestant friends do.

Apparently, we (non-Catholics) are suppose to have an empty cross to remind us of the resurrection. I've always preferred the crucifix as a reminder of the suffering, which I view as the true gift. When I see an empty cross hanging in our churches, I feel empty, since numerous people in history have died on crosses for a variety of reasons - I don't feel the message just seeing a cross. Only one Jesus was on the cross, and seeing Him fills my soul with a variety of emotion.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions