Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 2, '11, 4:03 pm
Radio Club Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Near Death Experience Catholic theology

I'm reading this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-After...1785329&sr=8-3

How does near death experiences challenge or confirm Catholic theology?
Old Apr 2, '11, 5:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Near Death Experience Catholic theology

near death experiences are not very reliable. I've read lots.. some really support Catholic theology, others are very Protestant, and some are new agey and deny Christ, or the existence of Heaven, or hell.

I'd just stick to Scripture, Tradition, and the writings of the Saints if you find a near death experience account that is interesting and goes together with Church teaching, it can be encouraging... but if not, - remember they are VERY varied and we don't know if these people experienced something from God, or from the enemy (deception).

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Apr 2, '11, 6:29 pm

I agree with Monica's response.
Old Apr 2, '11, 6:45 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Me too.We are always safe sticking to the SacredTraditions.
Old Apr 2, '11, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatty View Post
Me too.We are always safe sticking to the SacredTraditions.
Yes!
Old Apr 2, '11, 9:34 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
near death experiences are not very reliable. I've read lots.. some really support Catholic theology, others are very Protestant, and some are new agey and deny Christ, or the existence of Heaven, or hell.

I'd just stick to Scripture, Tradition, and the writings of the Saints if you find a near death experience account that is interesting and goes together with Church teaching, it can be encouraging... but if not, - remember they are VERY varied and we don't know if these people experienced something from God, or from the enemy (deception).

God bless
I do remember seeing an old Mother Angelica program on tv some time ago where she interviewed a catholic priest who had near-death experience that totally conformed to catholic theology and teaching-------he was judged by Jesus to not have been a good, proper priest and was about to condemn the man to hell when Mary interfered and begged him to hand the man over to her----and if he still did not live up to his priestly calling then his "will be done." The man reformed and became a devotee of Mary. He was very believable and Mother Angelica appeared to fully believe his story.

I would say Mother Angelica is a very believable person to trust in this matter----if she could be convinced, then that would be good enough for me.

I would say----by all means stick with tradition and the gospels----but if the near-death experience upholds to Catholic theology and it is attended to by respected, honorable people, then it is not foolish to believe it.
Old Apr 3, '11, 3:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryMelkite View Post
I do remember seeing an old Mother Angelica program on tv some time ago where she interviewed a catholic priest who had near-death experience that totally conformed to catholic theology and teaching-------he was judged by Jesus to not have been a good, proper priest and was about to condemn the man to hell when Mary interfered and begged him to hand the man over to her----and if he still did not live up to his priestly calling then his "will be done." The man reformed and became a devotee of Mary. He was very believable and Mother Angelica appeared to fully believe his story.

I would say Mother Angelica is a very believable person to trust in this matter----if she could be convinced, then that would be good enough for me.

I would say----by all means stick with tradition and the gospels----but if the near-death experience upholds to Catholic theology and it is attended to by respected, honorable people, then it is not foolish to believe it.
"Ordinary Melkite"

Thank you for reminding us of that! I do remember a friend loaning me a tape of that sharing by a priest. I forgot the name of the priest,.....but, yes, it was very inspiring to hear about this and see the grace of God at work in the priest's soul.

Thanks be to the Lord!

Dorothy
Old Apr 7, '11, 5:46 pm

Religion: spiritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
I'm reading this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-After...1785329&sr=8-3

How does near death experiences challenge or confirm Catholic theology?
I have read this book and others, and I have had a near death experience. It changed my life completely and I started a web site and blog on the subject. The truth is that NDEs are not religious experiences. I know that some experiencers see Jesus or God and it is easy to say this is religion. The experience is spiritual but not religious, there is no doctrine in them. I have read thousands of them. They are about love as Jesus taught, spiritual love and compassion. Now the core teachings of Christianity are of love as taught by Jesus. To love one another, forgive, don't judge, love your enemies, and help others. This is not religious doctrine, it is about spiritual growth and love. It stops there in ninety percent of NDES.
Old Apr 7, '11, 7:34 pm

Mother Angelica, herself, had a near-death experience. She saw her soul leave her body three times, and return three times. Also, I know of a priest who said his sister died in childbirth, but was revived. She told of being given a choice to stay or return. She returned for her child's sake, but found "the other side" very beautiful. He said that most didn't believe her. She told him that she knew that, but regardless of what they thought --she knew!
Old Apr 7, '11, 9:22 pm

A friend gave me a book called "Descent into death" by Howard Storm. He was a college professor at No KY Univ. and a confirmed atheist. He had a NDE while on vacation in Paris, as is today a minister affiliated with the United Church of Christ, but closely works with the Catholic Church in Honduran missions. I don't know for sure, but I tend to believe this guy based on where he was, what happened and what he's like now. Jesus saved him while he was being dragged to hell. His account of the experience is horrifying until he calls out for Jesus, that is.
Old Apr 7, '11, 11:08 pm

Religion: Christian, non-Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry G View Post
A friend gave me a book called "Descent into death" by Howard Storm. He was a college professor at No KY Univ. and a confirmed atheist. He had a NDE while on vacation in Paris, as is today a minister affiliated with the United Church of Christ, but closely works with the Catholic Church in Honduran missions. I don't know for sure, but I tend to believe this guy based on where he was, what happened and what he's like now. Jesus saved him while he was being dragged to hell. His account of the experience is horrifying until he calls out for Jesus, that is.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4&hl=en&emb=1#
Old Apr 8, '11, 1:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

It seems likely that NDEs are hallucinations caused by electrical discharges in the brain as the brain is slowing dying due to the lack of oxygen. They can be produced artificially:

Quote:
When the right side of the human brain is probed during surgery, it can produce out-of-body experiences, psychic experiences, feelings of deja' vu and mystical experiences. Artificial stimulation and/or seizures to this part of the brain can also cause classic near-death experiences. These experiences, which include the tunnel experience and our personal vision of heaven, can sometimes be played, again and again, apparently without meaning.
See this page and this page for more information.
Old Apr 8, '11, 2:52 am
Observing Member

Send a message via AIM to cdunh

A well written, short, and entertaining novel, HOME FOR CHRISTMAS, by Fr. Andrew Greeley, is based upon his many years as a priest. Not about Christmas, the novel is about a near death experience. It is an enjoyable Christian love story.
Old Apr 8, '11, 5:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting View Post
Mother Angelica, herself, had a near-death experience. She saw her soul leave her body three times, and return three times. Also, I know of a priest who said his sister died in childbirth, but was revived. She told of being given a choice to stay or return. She returned for her child's sake, but found "the other side" very beautiful. He said that most didn't believe her. She told him that she knew that, but regardless of what they thought --she knew!
You are describing classical near death experiences where the experiencer is given a choice as I was, this is very true, and it doesn't matter the number that don't believe, they were not there, I was there and I know for sure it was real, it changed me forever as it has millions of others. Thanks for the post.
Old Apr 8, '11, 5:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcintosh View Post
It seems likely that NDEs are hallucinations caused by electrical discharges in the brain as the brain is slowing dying due to the lack of oxygen. They can be produced artificially:

See this page and this page for more information.
No near death experience has ever been reproduced by anyone. People who believe this have not read any real near death experiences. There has been 35 years of research into near death experiences showing consciousness continues to live after the death of the body. Near death experiences are real spiritual experiences. I will leave a link.

http://wp.me/pvtV5-Sm

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy