Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 3, '11, 7:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Question on the priest's vestments for Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent)

Since today is Laetare (Rejoice) Sunday, the priests are supposed to wear rose to mark the joyous half-way point to Easter. Now, the priest at the Mass I attended today wore violet. I had to lector today, and I know he was aware that rose vestments were to be worn, because someone pointed it out to him before Mass, but he chose to wear violet. Then I questioned myself. Is there an option of wearing rose or violet today? I thought there was, but I wasn't sure.
Old Apr 3, '11, 7:46 pm

Religion: catholic--embracing all universality, diversity,traditions
Default Re: Question on the priest's vestments for Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicZ09 View Post
Since today is Laetare (Rejoice) Sunday, the priests are supposed to wear rose to mark the joyous half-way point to Easter. Now, the priest at the Mass I attended today wore violet. I had to lector today, and I know he was aware that rose vestments were to be worn, because someone pointed it out to him before Mass, but he chose to wear violet. Then I questioned myself. Is there an option of wearing rose or violet today? I thought there was, but I wasn't sure.

My first thought is that wearing rose is optional, it it not a "have to"

It's up to the priest? Any one feel free to correct me, bit my understanding is that the priest does not have to wear rose. It's his choice.
Old Apr 3, '11, 8:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Question on the priest's vestments for Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent)

Quote:
I know there is no strict obligation, because all chapels don't have rose sets, but I'm not sure if he is obligated to wear it if there is one available.
Old Apr 4, '11, 5:31 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
The Ordo allows both. I served two masses Sunday with two different priests, first mass we wore rose, second violet. Both are proper and the choice of the celebrant. I personally prefer the Rose be worn sinse there are only two days of the year it is proper, 3rd Sunday of Advent and this past Sunday.
Old Apr 4, '11, 12:17 pm

I wish priests would choose to wear the rose on Laetare Sunday, if it is available to them.
It is so beautiful a color and sets aside that particular Sunday as distinct in announcing the joy that is to come.
I made such a fuss over it in choir that I actually got some people to wear pink along with me (under the choir robes). It really adds to the day. There were pink ribbons along with violet decorating the altar and touches of pink on the twig wreaths throughout the church. That made me happy. At the end of his homily, the monsignor said, "Rejoice! God is good."
Old Apr 4, '11, 12:20 pm
Forum Master

it is an optional color

Quote:
GIRM 346. As to the color of sacred vestments, the traditional usage is to be retained: namely,

4. Violet or purple is used in Advent and of Lent. ...

6. Rose may be used, where it is the practice, on Gaudete Sunday (Third Sunday of Advent) and on Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent).
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
it is an optional color
Hate to say it....but this was posted already.
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:49 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapey View Post
Hate to say it....but this was posted already.
I know, but I wanted to include the actual GIRM text; actual document references are always a good thing
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:56 pm

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosalieM View Post
I wish priests would choose to wear the rose on Laetare Sunday, if it is available to them.
It is so beautiful a color and sets aside that particular Sunday as distinct in announcing the joy that is to come.
I made such a fuss over it in choir that I actually got some people to wear pink along with me (under the choir robes). It really adds to the day. There were pink ribbons along with violet decorating the altar and touches of pink on the twig wreaths throughout the church. That made me happy. At the end of his homily, the monsignor said, "Rejoice! God is good."
That's a great idea! I think I will buy my sons dress shirts in liturgical colors. Then they will know what to wear to Mass. One of them would look great, since he is an usher. Rats! Wish I were more on top of this! Maybe in time for Advent.
Old Apr 4, '11, 4:39 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosalieM View Post
The cantor at the Mass I went to yesterday wore a nice pink top. At least I saw some rose yesterday!
Old Apr 4, '11, 6:11 pm

Our priests usually do wear rose for the two Sundays, but many churches/priests might decide not to buy vestments that are only worn twice a year since it is not required. For those who love the rose vestments, consider taking up a collection to buy them for your church. Bet the priest will wear them if the congregation provides them!
Old Apr 4, '11, 9:16 pm

Religion: Catholic-Finally Came Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
Our priests usually do wear rose for the two Sundays, but many churches/priests might decide not to buy vestments that are only worn twice a year since it is not required. For those who love the rose vestments, consider taking up a collection to buy them for your church. Bet the priest will wear them if the congregation provides them!
I don't think ours would....someone told him he looked good in pink... Fr was not pleased

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments