Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 4, '11, 12:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default What do you do with broken rosaries

Hi

I'm on my third rosary. I've broken the previous two. I must be hard on them or something because they've both snapped and I can't repair them.

The Cathedral gift shop is benefiting as it seems I'm going in every few months to buy a new rosary.

I don't want to throw away the broken rosaries because I feel that's disrespectful - if not vaguely sinful.

Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

God bless,

Clare
Old Apr 4, '11, 12:13 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What do you do with broken rosaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_clare View Post
Hi

I'm on my third rosary. I've broken the previous two. I must be hard on them or something because they've both snapped and I can't repair them.

The Cathedral gift shop is benefiting as it seems I'm going in every few months to buy a new rosary.

I don't want to throw away the broken rosaries because I feel that's disrespectful - if not vaguely sinful.

God bless,

Clare
theres plenty of rosary parts websites where you could get the parts to mend them...

was it the chain rosary? thats why i like using the ones that are made of beads and string...they seem to last longer and can take a bit of wear and tear in your pocket without breaking

heres an interesting site, they show you how to make your own knotted rosary (the knots are the beads)..plus they give them away free so you can always ask for a free one if you like...
http://www.rosaryarmy.com/
*IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR YOUR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED THEN READ BOTH LINKS*
Old Apr 4, '11, 12:56 pm

Hi Crystal

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, they're chain rosaries so I suppose I am creating a problem for myself.

I appreciate the link.

God bless you,

Clare
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:19 pm

When I have rosaries break I grab some pliers and put them back together. Problem solved. It's a bit tricky and there's very little room to stick your fingers but it's always worked for me.
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:38 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

i guess cos its a chain rosary you could always take the broken rosaries to the jewellers and ask them to join the broken link back together...they'll have links there if its needed...but they'll also have the correct tools to open and close the links
*IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR YOUR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED THEN READ BOTH LINKS*
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Hi Crystal

... Yes, they're chain rosaries so I suppose I am creating a problem for myself.

I appreciate the link.

God bless you,

Clare

Hi Clare,

I really think you have a legitimate problem here. I know it's a problem for me. I support a number of Catholic causes, so I regularly get poorly-made rosaries and religious objects in the mail. The traditional ways of disposing of such objects (burning and burying) are suitable for another time- a time when people had *more* access to both fire and land, and far *fewer* disrepaired objects to dispose of.

A pet peeve of mine. Lots of talk about being "relevant", but I would really like to see updated rules for this uniquely modern issue.

God Bless,
Joan
Old Apr 4, '11, 1:55 pm
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Dnieper Swim Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusAndreas View Post
When I have rosaries break I grab some pliers and put them back together. Problem solved. It's a bit tricky and there's very little room to stick your fingers but it's always worked for me.
I've made rosary bracelets from broken rosaries, or "pocket chaplets" for quick devotions. Depending on how small the beads are, you can make a couple of patterns:

10 Ave's, 1 Pater, 3 Ave's, 1 Pater

10 Ave's, 1 Pater 3 Aves

I've also used parts to be a smaller chaplet that isn't in a circle, and put a crucifix on one end and a medal on the other.
Old Apr 4, '11, 2:59 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

Quote:
Hi

God bless,

Clare
if you take a rosary apart it loses it's blessing, and also stops being a rosary, although i wouldn't say to throw it away even then, but maybe save the beads and learn to make rosaries on your own.
my mother has been making cord rosaries since i was born, and they're pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it, plus you get special blessings and protection from promoting the rosary in that way,

but if you just want to get rid of them, maybe ask around your parish for someone who makes rosaries, or look online for rosary makers who accept broken rosaries.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Apr 4, '11, 3:14 pm

Depending on how delicate the chain is, you can use a pair of needlenose pliers or even a pair of tweezers. You just open the jump ring and insert it into the next intact ring, compress, and voila! done!

Chain link rosaries tend to stay more intact if you put them in some kind of protective case when not in use, instead of just letting them slop around in your pocket or purse. You don't need to have a fancy case, an old jewelry presentation box or even a small plastic baggie will do the trick. Also, the less expensive the rosary is, the more likely the metal is to fatigue and snap. If you can afford it, spring for sterling silver, stainless steel, or brass chain.
Old Apr 5, '11, 7:12 am

Good morning poor_clare, I am a chain rosary maker (have been for many years); I agree that checking with your parish priest is your best first idea to repair broken rosaries. Also the idea of keeping it in a nice padded pouch helps too.

Often parishes have one or more rosary makers who would be glad to repair yours. Usually for no cost or a tiny cost for supplies. I would be happy to repair them for you at no cost if you cannot find someone close to you. If you are interested please send me an email at [email protected]. I have made over 600 chain rosaries and have had only 1 break with normal daily use. Hope this helps! God Bless!
Old Apr 5, '11, 7:27 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Hi

God bless,

Clare
it used to be most jewelers would repair metal rosaries for free
see if a nearby parish as a rosary-makers club who would fix yours
I now get for myself only cord or wood & string rosaries that hold up in pocket and purse and don't get tangled. Keep your good rosary in a case that helps prevent tangling, the round solid plastic are better than flexible pouches.
Old Apr 7, '11, 2:20 pm

Hi

Everyone has been so nice and helpful with all of your answers - thank you for taking the time to write.

The old rosaries are in a box for now - and I actually found another broken one which I had forgotten all about. I guess I will get round to getting them repaired. One is really lovely with light wooden beads and an image of St Therese.

My new rosary is holding up OK. I'm trying to move the beads along rather than pull them which I think I'm in the habit of doing.

Thanks again dear friends.

God bless you,
Clare
Old Apr 7, '11, 4:24 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Hi poor clare-

I was told by a priest at a Legion of Mary meeting to bury my broken rosary (or scapular, medals, etc- any holy or blessed item) in the ground. He said that was the respectful thing to do. Has anyone else heard of that, too?

C P J and L

Old Apr 7, '11, 8:43 pm

I was told by the Msgr at our Parish, that a Blessed item which has NOT been broken,should never be thrown away (Burial, would be appropriate). But any item that has been Blessed, then broken, the Blessing then has also been broken, and is then just an object. I usually just repair mine and have it Blessed again.
Old Apr 7, '11, 9:08 pm

I'm not positive, but I think you can give it to the priest before Ash Wednesday so they can be burned with the rest of the items used to make the ashes.
I'm not sure though, but you should ask a priest to be sure.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality