Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 6, '11, 3:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default St. Therese rose colors and my relationship - signs?

My boyfriend of 4 months and I have always liked the idea of St. Therese sending us roses. We are under the impression that yellow roses mean friendship, pink ones represent the beginning stages of love, and red roses are deep romantic love. We often pray to St. therese and ask her to send us roses as signs for our relationship.

One day when my boyfriend and I went into a cathedral to pray about us and our relationship (this was when we'd been dating for a two months), he said he saw a yello rose. This worried both of us. Does that just mean that we should develop our friendship more within the relationship? Or was it supposed to mean that we were supposed to be just friends?

We took it as a sign to develop our friendship within the relationship. We have now been dating for months and love each other. What jogged my memory about the yellow roses was that I saw online a picture of several bouquets of yellow roses. Does this mean anything? Are we taking this too literally? could the roses refer to something else?

Sidenote: Once I prayed a novena to St. Therese and asked her to help me with myself and within my relationship. The day after I finished the novena, I saw a few bouquets of red and white and pink roses. Is this a good sign? And what do the yellow roses in the cathedral mean? I'm nervous...
Old Apr 6, '11, 4:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Therese rose colors and my relationship - signs?

Thank you for coming here and sharing your story! God bless you and I will be praying for you!

While St. Therese is a wonderful intercessor, it seems that your devotion to her may have crossed the lines into superstition.

Talk to Jesus, he loves you so much! Spend time with him for a while, St. Therese will understand. Jesus will help you let go of this pattern, once you have been able to let go of seeing roses everywhere and trying to interpret the "sign" then you should find the peace that you desire.

Take care, hope this helps a little.
Old Apr 6, '11, 4:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Therese rose colors and my relationship - signs?

For what it's worth, I have to say that in all the years that I have asked St. Therese for a rose, there is NO ambiguity about it at all!

I see roses all the time... I love roses... I have pictures of them in my home and rose bushes outside my door. I work in a supermarket, where I can see the floral displays in the produce department from my work station, with an abundance of roses. I do not take these as roses from St. Therese.

But one time I did ask St. Therese for a favor and asked her to send me a rose, because there was a great deal of uncertainty about the whole situation and I wanted a sign that I should proceed in faith, despite all the uncertainty. Within hours, I got a phone call from a friend I hadn't seen in a while and she asked if I wanted a rose bush! She said she had been moving some plants in her garden and that her roses needed to be moved and, although I live nearly 20 miles from her home, she thought of me first. Well, I certainly wasn't going to turn away St. Therese's roses, so I accepted. She showed up with FIVE rose bushes... all of them blooming! Needless to say, I proceeded with faith and confidence and everything worked out fine (and I thanked St. Therese profusely!)

Another instance was my sister-in-law... she had often asked St. Therese for a rose whenever she asked her to intercede, but she was discouraged because she never got a rose (even though, and this is important to remember, she DID have some of her prayers answered.) One day, she had a very important intention and she once again addressed it to St. Therese, but at the end she added, "I don't know why I keep coming to you... you never send me roses! I wish, just once, you'd send me just one rose!" Well, she got to work (she's a university professor) and when she walked into her office, there was a vase with a dozen roses sitting on it! And old friend she hadn't seen in years, decided to send her roses for her birthday! Later in the day, three of her students each gave her a single rose and wished her a happy birthday, then when some of her colleagues took her to lunch for her birthday, they also presented her with a bouquet of six roses! She very humbly apologized to St. Therese and thanked her... she could never again complain that St. Therese wasn't listening!

The point is, IF St. Therese is going to send you a rose, there will be no doubt about it... she will all but clobber you over the head with them! And it is possible that she will answer your request WITHOUT a visible sign of a rose, as well. But do not be seeing roses wherever you go and think they are all signs from St. Therese... neither attach any importance to the color. "Rose is a rose is a rose...."

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life