Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 7, '11, 5:19 pm

Religion: Christian- Roman Catholic
Default Why is Gods name I am significant?

"i am who i am"
Old Apr 7, '11, 5:36 pm

Religion: mystical seeker
Default Re: Why is Gods name I am significant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaele View Post
"i am who i am"
It is significant for the people of the book, the Abrahamic faiths, because the God of Israel, who they claim to follow, has verbally identified himself.

The name itself is open to several interpretations, e.g., I am that I am, I shall be whom I shall be, etc.

Some say that Yahweh is claiming Essential Eternal "Being" by making "Amness" his chief identifier.

The name became significant for Christians because "I Am" was the God of Jesus and his Jewish followers, and through their successors, it passed into the Gentile world as "the Name of God".
Old Apr 7, '11, 5:52 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

I have been told that it states God's eternal presence. No I was or I will be. He is always present and unchangeable. He has no past or future.
Old Apr 7, '11, 6:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Atheist.

Quote:
"i am who i am"
It's significant because it reveals God's self-evident nature; that is, God is implicitly demonstrable in nature:

"The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
and night to night reveals knowledge
" (Psalm 19:1).

God declares Himself as "I AM" because He has no need to have to actually "prove" His own identity; He is already evident for all. In addition, the meaning of "I AM" suggests that God is self-sufficient and does not depend on anything. He exists in His own right, independent from the sustenance of anything or anyone.

Thank you,
Eugen von Bhm-Bawerk
Old Apr 7, '11, 9:51 pm

Religion: catholic

Jewish Bible and commentary goes into a little more detail. YHWH 'i am who am' means that i am the the one and only and what i say is what i'll do.You will know Who i am by my deeds.' in other word i'm not a clay god whose oracles say much but the are impotent of action.
Old Apr 8, '11, 7:16 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohm Bawerk View Post
It's significant because it reveals God's self-evident nature; that is, God is implicitly demonstrable in nature:

"The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
and night to night reveals knowledge
" (Psalm 19:1).

God declares Himself as "I AM" because He has no need to have to actually "prove" His own identity; He is already evident for all. In addition, the meaning of "I AM" suggests that God is self-sufficient and does not depend on anything. He exists in His own right, independent from the sustenance of anything or anyone.

Thank you,
Eugen von Bhm-Bawerk
That explanation/declaration lifted me up this morning, Mr. Eugene.
Old Apr 8, '11, 10:37 am
Book Club Member

Most of us take "being" for granted. In puzzling over the name God applied to Himself, I found it meaningful to spend time pondering on just what it means to "BE"!!
(I can almost get dizzy pondering it; same with pondering "eternity".)
What a gift "BEing" (existing) is. (Not just humans, but even animals, trees, rocks...)
For us, BEing is a great gift from God. He is the source of our "being".
And our second by second continued "being" is dependent on His upholding us in existence.
We have contingent "being".
But for God, BEing is who He is; His essence. He IS "I AM".
Old Apr 8, '11, 11:45 am

Religion: Christian. Protestant.

The name shows he is far greater than anything that our minds can comprehend, as has been said above its just amazing to see how our God is always. Just Being.
Old Apr 8, '11, 12:52 pm

I think that also, along with the statement being a description of His essence, it's interesting to think of it as a simple proclamation about the fact of His existence. IOWs, to a world which has exiled itself from God, to a lost world that no longer even possesses faith in Him, God's first step was to reveal His very existence, the fact that, He, God...actually...IS.

"It is love alone that gives worth to all things." - St. Teresa of Avila
Old Apr 8, '11, 1:43 pm

Quote:
"i am who i am"
The other posters have already made some good points, but I wanted to point out a small but significant sublety: I believe that the correct translation is "I am who am" and not "I am who I am" -- that is (as steveb1 and Joe Kelley pointed out), He didn't say "I'm this" or "I'm that;" He pointed out that He is existence.
Old Apr 8, '11, 2:42 pm

"I am", according to Meister Echart (sp?) is related to his essence. Since "He is", then anything that "is", is in Him, He is within all things.

Anything that is not, is a lie (and we know the father of lies). So when Jesus said 'I am the truth' He expressed, in a way, His being is part of what "is".

Truth and existence are tied up in each other.
Old Apr 8, '11, 6:45 pm

It is significant because He revealed it to us, giving us the privilege of praying to Him and knowing Him.

By telling us His Name, we could recognize Jesus when He said that before Abraham ever was, "I AM"
Old Apr 9, '11, 12:58 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfollower View Post
The other posters have already made some good points, but I wanted to point out a small but significant sublety: I believe that the correct translation is "I am who am" and not "I am who I am" -- that is (as steveb1 and Joe Kelley pointed out), He didn't say "I'm this" or "I'm that;" He pointed out that He is existence.
Actually, the Hebrew has 'ehyeh asher 'ehyeh, a phrase rather difficult to translate (literally it would be "I-be that/which/who I-be"). The question rests on how we are to understand the imperfective (the imperfective in Hebrew was used for incomplete or ongoing actions, and thus could imply either the present or future) 'ehyeh.

Translating 'ehyeh as "I-be", "I-am" or "I-am-being" does present us with considerable exegetical difficulty, but so too does translating it as "I-will-be".

The crucial difference between the two is that whereas the words 'I-am' in isolation can be meaningfully understood in the context of Gods self-designation, the absolute declaration 'I-will-be' cannot, if read as a reference to the Divine nature. The 'ongoing, continuous being' idea of the verb would certainly indicate that God is not bound by time: He just 'is'. The traditional English "I am that I am" and the Septuagint (and Vulgate) paraphrase ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν / ego sum qui sum "I am who is/am" understands the Name as referring to God's unchanging, ever-constant, ever-present nature.

One problem with rendering with in the future tense is that if God were to designate Himself in terms that specifically refer to the future it could be misread as implying that God is not yet God (taking 'ehyeh to refer to His nature), or that He is in a state of becoming somehow different to how He now is, both of which are rather absurd and unacceptable to the Mosaic monotheist, and even defy coherent articulation.

Thus, when referring to God, future 'ehyeh would require some expansion in order to render it theologically meaningful, one such as the oft-suggested "I will be with you" (cf. Exodus 3:12), which turns it into a reference in relation to His actions within temporal space (this is the interpretation Aquila and Theodotion favored). In this interpretation, the Name does not (merely) reveal the essence of God but His relationship with His people. They need to know not merely that He 'is' but that He will work on their behalf: "I will be understood by my acts and revelation."

The rabbis of the Talmud have paraphrased the passage: "The Holy One, blessed be He, said to Moses: 'Go and say to Israel: I was with you in this servitude, and I shall be with you in the servitude of the [other] kingdoms.' He [Moses] said to Him: 'Lord of the universe, sufficient is the evil in the time thereof!' Thereupon the Holy One, blessed be He, said to him: 'Go and tell them: I AM has sent me unto you.'" 'Ehyeh-asher-'ehyeh is thus interpreted as a statement of Gods abiding presence with Israel, while the 'ehyeh of 3:14b is interpreted as a shortened version of this declaration and as a gesture of Gods compassion towards Israel in response to Moses appeal on their behalf.

Such profound depth for three simple words.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture