Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 9, '11, 11:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Blue Bloods (tv show)

The B storyline was about the parish priest being transferred to another country because he was being accused of sexual misconduct with a female parishioner. This is the first hollywood show I've seen in along time in which the church is portrayed with respect.

The bottomline is that the priest didn't do anything wrong, but rather than bring a bad light to the church, given it's other problems, he was leaving. The main family, the Reagans, were very upset that they were losing their parish priest, who married, buried, and baptize them.

Another interesting part of this show is that the family sits down for Sunday dinner and says grace. At another site, and about a different episode, someone pointed out that the family was eating fish. Although it was a Sunday dinner, the show aired on a Friday in Lent. They were wondering if it was intentional or accidental.
Old Apr 9, '11, 12:45 pm

Send a message via AIM to dixieagle
Default Re: Blue Bloods (tv show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcharity View Post
The B storyline was about the parish priest being transferred to another country because he was being accused of sexual misconduct with a female parishioner. This is the first hollywood show I've seen in along time in which the church is portrayed with respect.

The bottomline is that the priest didn't do anything wrong, but rather than bring a bad light to the church, given it's other problems, he was leaving. The main family, the Reagans, were very upset that they were losing their parish priest, who married, buried, and baptize them.

Another interesting part of this show is that the family sits down for Sunday dinner and says grace. At another site, and about a different episode, someone pointed out that the family was eating fish. Although it was a Sunday dinner, the show aired on a Friday in Lent. They were wondering if it was intentional or accidental.
I missed that episode, as I was out of town; I think I have it on my DVR at home. I really like this show, as Tom Selleck has long been a favorite. That's not to say that I don't take issue with some of the actions of the family members, but I think that it generally does a good job.

I do love that this family goes out of its way to gather for Sunday dinner, though, as the father mentioned in one episode, few families do anymore. I imagine some families have fish on Sunday, as well...I wouldn't read much into it., but who knows?

My blog: http://www.chattycatholic.com
Old Apr 9, '11, 1:13 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I also love this show, especially since we have Blue Bloods in our family. I am so very happy that a fine and fiercely conservative actor, like Tom Selleck, is being given a vehicle to display conservatism and family values in a positive light. I also wonder if having the family, on the show, eat fish on a Lenten Friday was done as a way to honor the season.
Old Apr 10, '11, 7:40 pm

Thumbs up Re: Blue Bloods (tv show)

I like this show as well. My wife and I watch it every Friday night or DVR it if we're out. I don't know how it is doing in the ratings but I talk it up as much as I can. Maybe the networks will figure out that traditional morality sells. Wouldn't that be a shocker to them?
Old Oct 8, '11, 11:14 am

Yesterday's episode had a couple of Catholic messages, but unfortunately I don't have an accurate recall of all of them, but they were positive. It makes me wonder who is behind this show because Catholics are NEVER protrayed in the positive light that they are on this show.

One thing that occurred is that Danny wanted to cover up that a bank robber was a former cop. He wanted Frank to assist with the cover up. Frank suggested that if he were to do that, that he would be just like the bishops that covered for priests. Now, granted, without seeing it the contents of the show, this may sound like a jab at the Church, but it was not.

At the family dinner, the parish priest was quoted.

I think there was a third mention, but I cannot recall what it was. It may have been something to the effect that implied the family went to Sunday Mass.
Old Oct 11, '11, 7:24 am
Prayer Warrior

Tom Selleck is a conservative, and I applaud him for agreeing to do this show. I know that he has gotten a lot of flack from the media about his conservative views prior to doing this show. I also pray the show continues.....
Old Oct 11, '11, 8:08 am

I really like the show too. I admit I have liked all things Tom Selleck since the days of Magnum P.I. and really enjoy the Jesse Stone TV movies that are based on the novels by Robert B. Parker. Blue Bloods though is an especially good series for the reasons many have already mentioned. It portrays strong family values, ethical conduct and a positive view of the Church.
"Remember that your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or 'that virtue was not convenient at the time.' This will not suffice."
Old Oct 16, '11, 8:29 pm

I can't recommend this show enough! It's full of good storylines and dare i say good values it's refreshing to see a show that encourages courage, love and fidelity instead of sex sex and more sex.
Old Oct 17, '11, 1:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanncie View Post
I can't recommend this show enough! It's full of good storylines and dare i say good values it's refreshing to see a show that encourages courage, love and fidelity instead of sex sex and more sex.
This is so very true!
Old Jan 19, '12, 2:59 pm
Registering
Forum Supporter

I realise this thread is quite old, but what-the-hell, I will dredge it up anyway lol

I have only just finished (early january 2012) watching the first series of this show - my fiancee lent me the DVD box set of the series.

(In the Uk , US shows obviously arrive much later - usually american TV is at least one series ahead on US-produced shows. And in the case of this show, it was on a UK channel which few people actually have - "SKY Atlantic", I think - hence we had to wait for the box set).

Well, I was both shocked and delighted at the positive portrayal of the Catholic faith and the Catholic family around which the show centers. It is very unusual these days to see any secular media which is even neutral toward Catholicism, let alone positive.

My fiancee had said she enjoyed the series, but did not tell me of the central role of Catholicism (no "spoilers" lol). She is not a Catholic herself. So it was pleasant surprise to discover this when watching and to realise that she enjoyed a show with such a positive portrayal, set often in a strongly Catholic environment.

Also, it was great to see traditional (i.e proper and decent) family values championed for a change, instead of the empty whims of modern secular society. It was very refreshing to watch four generations of a family regularly gather to share a meal together, despite their busy lives, saying grace beforehand and each sharing their lives and thoughts in conversation. Its much more common for the media to bombard us with artificial parodies of the family - e.g. Elton John & David Furnish fawning over their child amid a gaggle of obviously gay men in trunks etc.

I especially liked how humble and devout Tom Selleck's (a great actor - Magnum P.I. rules!) character is portrayed as being. He is at times seen at confession or lighting candles in side chapels etc.

I liked the fact that clergy were portrayed as normal people, who were approachable and who listened as well as spoke. The common image of Catholic clergy is often unfair, one of dysfunction and power.

The series is balanced and also shows how Catholics are not perfect, nor lead perfect lives. The Church's dismal handling of the abuse cases is acknowledged, as are family failings and circumstances. The detective son, very passionate about fighting crime, is prone to being aggressive and breaking rules to get the job done. The daughter's marriage had failed, leaving her to raise her kid as a single parent. At times, members of the family bicker and fall out during their meals together. The Great Grandfather cheekily revels in the memory of his days as a tough-guy street cop, back in the day, including the odd recollect of rule bending or Police aggression.

But it also showed how Catholics identify and reflect on these imperfections and failings, and never stop trying to become better people.

I was really pleased with the series, it was such a breath of fresh air. I will definitely be eager to see future series. Of course, not every Catholic family is like that (something the show acknowledged) - close and loving, always making time for one another - but this was a portrayal of the Catholic ideal, in terms of what "family" means.

Sadly, I do think the positive image of Catholicism and traditional (natural) families could perhaps be linked to the reason why an accomplished and enjoyable TV show - featuring major & popular actors - was aired on a relatively minor / unseen TV channel, in the UK. Perhaps bigger channels will eventually pick up Blue Bloods, if it's profile continues to rise and the quality is maintained.

I would hope that in future series that some plots last maybe 2 or 3 episodes, the tendency to start and end stories in just one episode was somewhat unsatisfying I felt. The Blue Templar story, the one story which cropped up throughout the series, was ultimately a bit of an anti-climax for me. I think some deeper, more engaging story lines would be good.

However I don't think that criticism is uncommon for a first series of a new show. These are often initially more about introducing characters in depth, in preparation for future story lines, rather than the plots themselves.

Anyway, more power to "Blue Bloods" arm and roll on many future series!
Old Jan 19, '12, 3:09 pm

I also enjoy Blue Bloods and find the lack of family shows on right now sad. And I don't need the shows to be perfect and free of sin, but to treat that sin with consequence and understanding of what is wrong.

I came across a list of family friendly shows that I thought I would pass along. Enjoy!
http://tvcatholic.blogspot.com/2011/...v-time_27.html
Old Jan 20, '12, 5:12 pm

Great thread. Need to check this out!!!

Magister, thanks for the link!!
Old Feb 11, '12, 3:16 pm

Love this show. Catholics are portrayed positively.
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:15 pm

They did it again, in a good way.

If I understand the story correctly, the Archdiocese was investigating a deceased priest for sainthood. Frank (Tom Selleck) was asked to investigate some information on the priest. I won't give away the whole plot, but the church was able to go forward with recommending sainthood.
Old Jun 12, '12, 3:04 pm

Religion: Anglo-Catholic
Smile Re: Blue Bloods (tv show)

I love this show soooooo much!! It is really good to see Catholics respectfully portrayed as real people with real faith and also real failings. I love it when they have the Sunday dinners and say grace and everyone makes the sign of the Cross.

Besides being a good representation for Catholics, it's just also one of the best shows on TV these days!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media