Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 11, '11, 4:51 pm
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Religious Vocations for Husbands or Wives?

I am curious: are husbands or wives called to religious vocations, e.g., to be a deacon, oblate, or something else? What other religious vocations could a husband or wife have, and are they common? Thanks
Old Apr 11, '11, 5:58 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Religious Vocations for Husbands or Wives?

Hmmmm maybe you do not mean this, but they can be ministers who give out the Holy Communion at mass...they can be readers on the masses however I am sure you are aware of this and you meant a more serious religious vocation...I found a forum thread on it:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=126086

God bless you!

"It is better to be the child of God than king of the whole world." -- St. Aloysius Gonzaga
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." --Luke 2:14
Old Apr 11, '11, 10:04 pm

Religion: Deist

Yes, a married man can be called to the permanent diaconate, and either a man or woman can be called to be an oblate or third order of a religious community. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that's vocational, but you can also be called to various lay services like Knights of Columbus, various Confraternities, lectering, serving as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion.
Old Apr 20, '11, 7:24 am

Send a message via AIM to Rebelecka

I cannot actually speak of a secular order besides the Order of Camel, Discalced Secular (OCDS). It is a vocation. A vocation is a gift from God. The Friars, the Nuns and the Seculars are all Camelites. The OCDS are an integral part of the order; not an auxilary, not 2nd class members, but true members of the order. God must call; it's not just folk who are interested in Carmel, but a true vocation that we must discern--and practice.
Old Apr 28, '11, 9:59 pm

I think we are missing the most obvious of all - the Religious Vocation they have already been called to - Husband and Wife - the Metaphor for Church and Christ. We must be very careful not to discount that. Not saying anyone was I think it is great if married persons can give more but not a loss of their primary vocation.

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old May 1, '11, 8:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanofarc2008 View Post
I think we are missing the most obvious of all - the Religious Vocation they have already been called to - Husband and Wife - the Metaphor for Church and Christ. We must be very careful not to discount that. Not saying anyone was I think it is great if married persons can give more but not a loss of their primary vocation.
Yes, of course. I ask because I have a friend whose father is a deacon, which has struck me as somewhat strange because I've thought it could result in a diminishing of "of their primary vocation" of marriage or the vocation to be a deacon. They seem divided. I guess I don't understand why one can be married and become a deacon.
Old May 1, '11, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
Yes, of course. I ask because I have a friend whose father is a deacon, which has struck me as somewhat strange because I've thought it could result in a diminishing of "of their primary vocation" of marriage or the vocation to be a deacon. They seem divided. I guess I don't understand why one can be married and become a deacon.
I think it is important to note that when a married man becomes a deacon - the wife also goes through formation with him, so do his children if they are minor children. If the wife does not give her permission for this - it stops. So if at any time it stops being unitive or detracts from the primary vocation then this most likely is not his calling.

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old May 3, '11, 2:12 pm

Opus Dei Supernumeraries??
Old May 3, '11, 4:45 pm

Someone else mentioned religious order's "third orders;" specifically the Carmelites. The Dominicans do this too, one can be a single or married lay person to join. One's marital vocation remains the state-of-life vocation, but one is part of the Dominican community, must regularly meet, pray the hours according to Dominican custom and live life according to the Dominican rule and spirituality.
Old May 4, '11, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
I've heard this opinion stated many times here. You have to see and understand fully what marriage is and what happens in formation in order to see what affect the process has on a marriage.

If you believe that marriage is created by God, then how could a vocation formation to be a minister of God and His Church have anything but a positive affect on a union of man and woman?

My wife and I were close and in a solid relationship since we were both teenagers, I married my high school sweetheart. But we had no idea how special our relationship would become as a result of deepening our faith and our knowledge of our faith.

To put it simply, our marriage, "primary vocation", would be more deminished had we not gone through the rigors of formation. As far as our children, they have been brought through a formation of young Catholics that many kids will never experience.

We have three teenage kids, 15 year old boy, 16 year old girl, and a 19 year old boy in college. They have thrived in the atmosphere that the diaconate has provided them. I thank God for leading me into this "secondary" vocation, because of my "primary" vocation.

PS. I don't, neither do most deacons I would guess, look at either as a "primary or secondary" vocation. I am a husband and father who happens to be a deacon, quite simple.
Old May 5, '11, 2:25 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapey View Post
I've heard this opinion stated many times here. You have to see and understand fully what marriage is and what happens in formation in order to see what affect the process has on a marriage.

If you believe that marriage is created by God, then how could a vocation formation to be a minister of God and His Church have anything but a positive affect on a union of man and woman?

My wife and I were close and in a solid relationship since we were both teenagers, I married my high school sweetheart. But we had no idea how special our relationship would become as a result of deepening our faith and our knowledge of our faith.

To put it simply, our marriage, "primary vocation", would be more deminished had we not gone through the rigors of formation. As far as our children, they have been brought through a formation of young Catholics that many kids will never experience.

We have three teenage kids, 15 year old boy, 16 year old girl, and a 19 year old boy in college. They have thrived in the atmosphere that the diaconate has provided them. I thank God for leading me into this "secondary" vocation, because of my "primary" vocation.

PS. I don't, neither do most deacons I would guess, look at either as a "primary or secondary" vocation. I am a husband and father who happens to be a deacon, quite simple.
Yes, that is good. Thanks for the insight. I guess I just worry about the possibility that the Church would have married priests, but I don't think She'll change her teaching on that. As both Pope John Paul II and our current Pope say, that is not up for discussion; it'll never change. Protestant ministers seem to have a very divided life between their families and pastoral duties, and that seems partially responsible for the thousands of Protestant denominations' lack of unity.
Old May 8, '11, 7:00 pm

here's a community you might be interested in:

http://www.littleportion.org/

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations