Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 12, '11, 9:49 pm

Default Will soon attend latin mass FIR THE FIRST TIME but before I do I need to know ...well... how?

How exactly does one go about in participating in the latin mass
any rubric/guidelines.
I plan to go after holy week some time in the summer.
Is there anything special that I should know. Im young so I need to know the basics of the laity first and foremost and a translation would be nice... thanx

AVE MARIA(The name which Gives the Name of Jesus more glory than any litanies or glorys)
Old Apr 13, '11, 12:12 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Will soon attend latin mass FIR THE FIRST TIME but before I do I need to know ...well... how?

The Order of the Mass in English that we ordinarily use is an approved translation of the official Latin text. Latin is still the official language of the Church. The rubrics in the English texts of the Roman Missal that we use are the English equivalent of the Latin rubrics. It seems that it is quite sufficient for a layman to know the nigrics and the rubrics in a language he understands to be able to participate in the Mass in any foreign language.
It will be something else if you intend to participate in the Latin Mass that was in use before the reforms of the Second Vatican Council.
Old Apr 13, '11, 12:54 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Will soon attend latin mass FIR THE FIRST TIME but before I do I need to know ...well... how?

In my Latin Mass parish, we use the 1962 missal. Since most of us don't have a 1962 missal handy, we have a supply of "missalettes" to borrow during Mass. Ours have the rubrics of both the priest and the faithful printed on the margins of each page, sometimes with a small illustration.

Our pastor encourages newcomers to give it at least 20 Masses to get into the "swing" of things. I had it much easier than the younger folks, because I am old enough to remember saying the 1962 Mass in Latin as a kid.

If you are going to an EF Latin Mass (using the 1962 missal) rather than an OF Mass in Latin(Novus Ordo), you will notice some things that are dramatically different. At a High Mass, the choir will chant quite a few of the prayers. At a low Mass, the priest and the faithful will be saying most of the prayers. Lots of kneeling at the low Mass, more standing and sitting at the High Mass. No handholding during the Lord's Prayer. In fact, the priest says the Lord's Prayer (in Latin) and the faithful say the "Libera nos a malo" which means "Deliver us from evil."

I have been to many "styles" of the OF Masses, since the late 1960s, and I have been very fortunate to have been in two parishes up here where the OF Mass has been said very reverently, with good, respectful, Catholic hymns. However, for me, I am in the right place when I attend the EF 1962 missal Mass in Latin. Our new parish was formed so we could have this type of Mass everyday. Our pastor belongs to the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, who are faithful to the Pope.
Old Apr 13, '11, 7:03 am
Banned

wow I never thought to check if our pastor was faithfull to the pope I just assumed if he was catholic he would be

All joking aside I hope you enjoy the Latin mass as you seem to have that inkling and count yourself lucky that you have a parish with sufficient priests to be able to have this extra type of mass available to you. But as you sit there and enjoy have some thoughts to other places where resources aren't so good, and how we as Christians can ensure they hear Christs words and can understand all the beautiful parts of the Mass.
Old Apr 13, '11, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKatholic View Post
How exactly does one go about in participating in the latin mass
any rubric/guidelines.
I plan to go after holy week some time in the summer.
Is there anything special that I should know. Im young so I need to know the basics of the laity first and foremost and a translation would be nice... thanx
Try and go to a "High Mass" instead of a "Low Mass". The first time I attended a TLM it was a Low Mass and I couldn't hear or understand a thing and it was very disconcerting, however, when I attended a High Mass it was much more ceremonial and beautiful.
Old Apr 13, '11, 8:06 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
I. At a low Mass, the priest and the faithful will be saying most of the prayers. Lots of kneeling at the low Mass, more standing and sitting at the High Mass. No handholding during the Lord's Prayer. In fact, the priest says the Lord's Prayer (in Latin) and the faithful say the "Libera nos a malo" which means "Deliver us from evil."
I have a hard time telling the difference between a high and low mass.

So at high masses, the congregants donít respond with the choir or does it depend on the parish?
Old Apr 13, '11, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlosap View Post
Try and go to a "High Mass" instead of a "Low Mass". The first time I attended a TLM it was a Low Mass and I couldn't hear or understand a thing and it was very disconcerting, however, when I attended a High Mass it was much more ceremonial and beautiful.
Aren't High Masses only celebrated twice a year? It is my understanding that the vast majority of EF Masses are low Masses.
Old Apr 13, '11, 8:31 am

Tim,
No, a High Mass can be celebrated every day if the priest so chooses. It depends on the availability of a choir and altar boys. Usually a low Mass is celebrated daily and a low Mass on a Sunday morning, early. Then a High Mass closer to noon. But here again it depends on the parish and the resources to support the High Mass.

When the priest has the support of another priest and a deacon he can celebrate a Solemn High Mass. If the local Bishop is available and willing even a Pontifical Solemn High Mass.
Old Apr 13, '11, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair View Post
Tim,
No, a High Mass can be celebrated every day if the priest so chooses. It depends on the availability of a choir and altar boys. Usually a low Mass is celebrated daily and a low Mass on a Sunday morning, early. Then a High Mass closer to noon. But here again it depends on the parish and the resources to support the High Mass.

When the priest has the support of another priest and a deacon he can celebrate a Solemn High Mass. If the local Bishop is available and willing even a Pontifical Solemn High Mass.
I'm sure that your reply is true in theory, but I've read from others here that most parishes only have a High Mass once or twice a year (I don't recall for which feast days) and that most Latin Masses are low, but I'm just going by memory so please excuse me for my (many) errors!
Old Apr 13, '11, 8:48 am

Actually, Tim, its not theory at all. Its a real practice with most FSSP parishes. True many diocesan EF Masses are low Masses. This is mainly because of the lack of a choir that can chant and trained altar boys. It has been my experience that many young priests are a little nervous about trying a slightly more complcated High Mass. Some are unsure of their ability to sing the epistle and Gospel. This should change in time.
Old Apr 13, '11, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair View Post
Actually, Tim, its not theory at all. Its a real practice with most FSSP parishes. True many diocesan EF Masses are low Masses. This is mainly because of the lack of a choir that can chant and trained altar boys. It has been my experience that many young priests are a little nervous about trying a slightly more complcated High Mass. Some are unsure of their ability to sing the epistle and Gospel. This should change in time.
Ahh, there's the problem; I meant diocesan parishes. Since FSSP parishes are a fraction of diocesan the statement that low Masses are the most common is probably still valid.
Old Apr 13, '11, 2:57 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I have a hard time telling the difference between a high and low mass.

So at high masses, the congregants donít respond with the choir or does it depend on the parish?
At the Tridentine Latin Mass from the 1962 missal, it is very easy to tell the difference. At the High Mass there will be six candles lit on the altar. At the Low Mass, only two. At the High Mass the prayers are mostly sung by priest, choir, and the faithful, in Gregorian Chant. At the Low Mass, the priest says the prayers, and the altar servers and the faithful respond.

At my parish, at the High Mass, our choir chants in parts--the women will sing one line, the men will sing a line, and then they sing a line together. Our priest has instructed the congregation to join in with the "together" parts of the chanting. This is how we sing the Gloria and the Credo. It is quite beautiful. The congregation also joins in with some of the spoken responses during the High Mass, also.

In our parish, at the end of Mass, we all join in with one hymn found in our old Hymnals, as Father and the 13 altar servers leave the Sanctuary.

Both types of Masses are quite beautiful and very comtemplative for me.

And for the information of another poster, yes, I do make the distinction of which priests administer our parish. There is much confusion out here between the Priestly Faternity of St. Peter (FFSP) who are loyal to the Pope; and the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) who, sadly, for all their good intentions, are currently in schism from Rome.

Also, consider your choice of clothing. Usually folks attending a TLM dress a little more conservatively than others. Not to mean that you must wear a suit or a dress, just remember that you would dress as if you were meeting the President (as our good sisters used to say). If you are a lady, then you might consider finding a veil to wear, in case that is the norm in your area. The veils are hard to find (I had to order mine online), but don't let the lack of a veil or the lack of a tie stop you from attending the Mass.

Mostly, you will find that everyone is quite welcoming to newcomers. If you ask, they will be happy to point out the right page for you. And you can always get your cues for kneeling and standing from the rest of the faithful.

Last edited by Peggy in Burien; Apr 13, '11 at 3:03 pm. Reason: add
Old Apr 13, '11, 3:06 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laginlaan View Post
The Order of the Mass in English that we ordinarily use is an approved translation of the official Latin text.
It may carry an imprimatur, meaning it's free of doctrinal error, but there is to my knowledge no Vatican-approved translation of the Latin text. They certainly can't be used in the actual liturgy; there is little or no vernacular in the 1962 liturgical books, though one may freely follow along in the vernacular. But that's like riding a bicycle with training wheels.
Old Apr 13, '11, 9:31 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
It may carry an imprimatur, meaning it's free of doctrinal error, but there is to my knowledge no Vatican-approved translation of the Latin text. They certainly can't be used in the actual liturgy; there is little or no vernacular in the 1962 liturgical books, though one may freely follow along in the vernacular. But that's like riding a bicycle with training wheels.
Thank goodness for those training wheels, too!

My grandmother's pre-Vatican II missal was Latin on the left and Spanish on the right, so the Mass has always been in the "vernacular."

Mine was Latin on the left and English on the right.

One nice thing about the Latin Mass in the olden days, was no matter where a Catholic found himself, he could always follow along at Mass. When I was stationed in West Germany in the 1970s and 80s, I could no longer do that. The Mass (Novus Ordo) was in German, and there was no English translation for me. I just had to guess where we were at by picking up a word here and there in German.
Old Apr 13, '11, 10:16 pm

Religion: catholic

Peggy in Burien,

I have been to many "styles" of the OF Masses, since the late 1960s, and I have been very fortunate to have been in two parishes up here where the OF Mass has been said very reverently, with good, respectful, Catholic hymns. However, for me, I am in the right place when I attend the EF 1962 missal Mass in Latin. Our new parish was formed so we could have this type of Mass everyday. Our pastor belongs to the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, who are faithful to the Pope.

I was born and raised in Burien. May I ask what two parishes did you go to that were very reverent. Maybe you have been to my parish. The TLM that you speak of is at St. Alphonsus yes?

onmyknees praying to Him who gives me strength

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism