Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '11, 7:36 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Name change on conversion to catholicism?

bro's

when i converted i was the only catholic in my family ( i was 18) and my mom said that she wouldnt attend my confirmation if i took a saints name, as venerating the saints was invoking the dead.

so i didnt have one, though i narrowed it down to St Maria Goretti (purity) and St Juan Diego (Guadalupe). will it make any difference that i dont have a confirmation name? i feel sad now

my normal name is islamic because most of my relatives are islams or 'non practicing christians'.
can i change my middle name to a catholic one? i dont want to change my first or last name cos i converted about 7 years ago and it wuold mess up my qualifications, career docuemtns, etc. can i change it to ANY catholic name which sounds ok, bearing in mind my first and last names will still be islamic? or does it need to be my confirmation saint.

has anyone else changed their name on converions?
Old Apr 20, '11, 8:36 am

Religion: Evangelical Catholic
Default Re: Name change on conversion to catholicism?

Hi shinytoy,

I'm sad to hear your mother wasn't supportive but I'm pleased that you have remained ardent in your faith.

I think that legal name changes (even for a middle name) are dependent only upon local municipal laws, ie the County Records. If you don't currently have a middle name, I don't think you even need to document since there would be nothing tied to your middle name. It would later show up wherever you use it, so if you keep your middle name out of legal documents (ie credit applications, job applications, insurance and other records) then this will be as simple as stating it and it's done.
Old Apr 20, '11, 8:51 am
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

Confirmation names are a type of sacramental. You're not required to make a legal name change.

Often times, people entering religious orders change their first names. (Althou, I don't know if they also go on to legally change it also.)
Old Apr 20, '11, 8:56 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbkw View Post
Confirmation names are a type of sacramental. You're not required to make a legal name change.

Often times, people entering religious orders change their first names. (Althou, I don't know if they also go on to legally change it also.)
They don't often change their legal name. A patient of mine once was a nun who wanted us nurses to refer to her by her religious name, not her legal name (even though all of her documents were in her legal name which she hadn't used herself since she was 18).

What do you mean by a type of sacramental?

I am considering St Faustina as my patron Saint and Faustina as my confirmation name (I really like it even if I forget about the Saint, it's unusual and my given name is already unusual and a foreign one even though I'm white British).
Old Apr 20, '11, 9:07 am
Banned

Quote:

so have i missed out since i didnt get to have one? nobody will pray for me

also, is it dishonerable if i change my name to a random saint with a cool name eg Xavier or Solange rather than the saints i most admire wth boring names?
Old Apr 20, '11, 9:17 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

i agree, you can choose any name you want for your confirmation name but you dont have to put it on any legal documents or change your i.d,
*IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR YOUR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED THEN READ BOTH LINKS*
Old Apr 20, '11, 9:36 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinytoy View Post
so have i missed out since i didnt get to have one? nobody will pray for me

also, is it dishonerable if i change my name to a random saint with a cool name eg Xavier or Solange rather than the saints i most admire wth boring names?
Choose a saint whom you feel is a role model to you. Perhaps someone who faced similiar life or personal situations or problems.

As your life changes, you'll add other patron saints who have shared that need and have gained virtue from it.
Old Apr 20, '11, 9:46 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
What do you mean by a type of sacramental?
Saints aren't classified as sacramentals - but they aid us by being examples of holiness.
Old Apr 20, '11, 9:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Choose a saint whom you feel is a role model to you. Perhaps someone who faced similiar life or personal situations or problems.

As your life changes, you'll add other patron saints who have shared that need and have gained virtue from it.
no, i wont be adding to it, i only will be changing my name the once. did you even readmy post that you quoted?
Old Apr 20, '11, 10:27 am
Banned

Quote:
no, i wont be adding to it, i only will be changing my name the once. did you even readmy post that you quoted?
So, you've decided to legally change your middle name to a Christian saint's name, preferably one that is "cool"?
Old Apr 20, '11, 10:32 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Saints aren't classified as sacramentals - but they aid us by being examples of holiness.
No, I'm asking about a confirmation name, not a Saint. What do you mean by confirmation names being a sacramental?
Old Apr 20, '11, 11:17 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
No, I'm asking about a confirmation name, not a Saint. What do you mean by confirmation names being a sacramental?
Oh right, I didn't catch that. I was referring to the saints and their particular virtue.

In a way thou, saints themselves are reusing the names of other saints. The name then of itself is rather sacramental.

Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (Mother Teresa) used the name Teresa from Saint Thérèse (Teresa) of Lisieux.
Old Apr 21, '11, 1:32 am
Banned

Quote:
So, you've decided to legally change your middle name to a Christian saint's name, preferably one that is "cool"?
well, yeah.

because im gonna keep my first and last name due to all my documents and qualifications in that name. but I mean all saints have white names, so most names are gonna sound stupid.

dont you think the name Ruqaya Al-Fulan Singh would sound pretty stupid if i changed my middle name to 'Cecilia' (my fave saints are St Margaret, St Paul, St Catherine and St Juan Diego and i also really like our Lady of Guadalupe)

Ruqaya Catherine Singh

seems stupid. and dont say 'ooh if you believe you should be proud to change your name to your fave saint.' because im guessing all of you have white people names and none of you have been in this position. you have to admit it sounds dumb. so if i want a cath name it will need to be a cool one.
Old Apr 21, '11, 4:26 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
bro's

when i converted i was the only catholic in my family ( i was 18) and my mom said that she wouldnt attend my confirmation if i took a saints name, as venerating the saints was invoking the dead.

so i didnt have one, though i narrowed it down to St Maria Goretti (purity) and St Juan Diego (Guadalupe). will it make any difference that i dont have a confirmation name? i feel sad now

my normal name is islamic because most of my relatives are islams or 'non practicing christians'.
can i change my middle name to a catholic one? i dont want to change my first or last name cos i converted about 7 years ago and it wuold mess up my qualifications, career docuemtns, etc. can i change it to ANY catholic name which sounds ok, bearing in mind my first and last names will still be islamic? or does it need to be my confirmation saint.

has anyone else changed their name on converions?
the convert is not required to take a new name unless the given name is flagrantly anti-Catholic (we had one child named for a greek god and the priest insisted he take a saints name). You will have to find out the civil law procedure for a name change where you reside, but that does not change your baptismal name by itself.. YOu can however take the new civil birth certificate with the new name to your baptismal parish, they will note it in the record, and issue a baptismal certificate in the new name.

When a confirmation candidate adopts the name of a saint as a patron that does not change his name on the baptismal record, or in the civil law jurisdiction, it is entered only the in the confirmation record, no where else.
Old Apr 21, '11, 9:30 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
the convert is not required to take a new name unless the given name is flagrantly anti-Catholic (we had one child named for a greek god and the priest insisted he take a saints name). You will have to find out the civil law procedure for a name change where you reside, but that does not change your baptismal name by itself.. YOu can however take the new civil birth certificate with the new name to your baptismal parish, they will note it in the record, and issue a baptismal certificate in the new name.

When a confirmation candidate adopts the name of a saint as a patron that does not change his name on the baptismal record, or in the civil law jurisdiction, it is entered only the in the confirmation record, no where else.
no no no!!

i know the laws relating to the name change but i was wondering if anyone else who had a non catholic name previously changed their actual name when they converted.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization