Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 21, '11, 9:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Pope owning fish company: that's why you can eat fish on Fridays?

I heard this line again today. Is there any slight bit of truth to it?

I explained that when I hear stuff like this I think of anti-Catholic propaganda. I then explained that in the Summa Theologica meat was avoided, since the meat was thought to stir certain reactions in people, and that there is a real scientific connection (Zinc) that has been found today.
Old Apr 21, '11, 10:06 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Pope owning fish company: that's why you can eat fish on Fridays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish90 View Post
No, this (and many similar stories) are a silly myth.

The language of the Church is Latin. We are prohibited from eating "carne" on Friday. In Latin, "carne" means "meat" as from a land-dwelling animal. "Carne" would not include fish.

Even in English, we do not normally describe fish (shrimp, clams, etc) as "meat" (we have the special term, "seafood"). But, in Latin, we never would describe them as "carne."

Hooray!
Old Apr 22, '11, 12:02 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic

Quote:

I explained that when I hear stuff like this I think of anti-Catholic propaganda. I then explained that in the Summa Theologica meat was avoided, since the meat was thought to stir certain reactions in people, and that there is a real scientific connection (Zinc) that has been found today.
i know you are young so i excuse you for asking such a question.But no the Pope doesn't own a fish store or any other business.
Old Apr 22, '11, 12:22 am
Banned

Quote:
...Pope owning fish company...
I can top that. I heard the pope added an extra five mysteries to the rosary (the Luminous Mysteries) to increase the number from 15 to 20 so everybody would have buy new rosaries.

Anyway, back in the olden days, Europeans typically ate fish as an every day thing and meat was a special-occasion dish; forbidding meat on Fridays was just a way of reminding people it was inappropriate to have celebrations on that day.

Ironically seafood is now the special-occasion food while meat is the routine. If the rule had been instituted today, maybe it would be no seafood on Fridays.
Old Apr 22, '11, 12:35 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaCC View Post
Anyway, back in the olden days, Europeans typically ate fish as an every day thing and meat was a special-occasion dish; forbidding meat on Fridays was just a way of reminding people it was inappropriate to have celebrations on that day.
This is also true. Most forest lands were owned by the King, and hunting on the King's land (and taking the King's meat) was forbidden. But the sea was not considered to be owned by anybody, so anybody could drop a hook or a net into the sea and freely eat of whatever benefits his labor had provided. So, our European ancestors (at least, those who dwelt near the coast) probably ate more fish than their descendants do today.

Hooray!
Old Apr 22, '11, 12:41 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I heard this line again today.
Anytime someone claims something against the Church, demand to see proof.
Matthew 16:18

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

Old Apr 22, '11, 12:46 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

From what I recall, Peter did own his own boat. So yes, the Pope did own a fish company. And his brother is the COO (St. Andrew). He had fierce competitors in the market (James and John) but eventually they had a merger with Peter as the CEO even though John was beloved by the son of the Director of the Board.
Old Apr 22, '11, 5:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
From what I recall, Peter did own his own boat. So yes, the Pope did own a fish company. And his brother is the COO (St. Andrew). He had fierce competitors in the market (James and John) but eventually they had a merger with Peter as the CEO even though John was beloved by the son of the Director of the Board.
Thank you for my morning laugh. That should be the standard response to the claim's the OP heard...
Old Apr 22, '11, 5:19 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic

Quote:
Old Apr 22, '11, 5:34 am

Quote:
Old Apr 22, '11, 8:12 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Love it!
Old Apr 22, '11, 8:24 am
Banned

Quote:
Quite right. However after a three-year suspension of operations for professional development, upper management made a strategic redirection of the company into human resources consulting. They eventually went public with an IPO that was out of this world. Now they have offices worldwide, a customer base hovering around 1.6 billion, and assets that defy assessment.

It's quite a success story. You can get the first-hand account of the company's early years written by the original team members and their early collaborators in hardcover, paperback, or Kindle, online or at most major book retailers.
Old Apr 22, '11, 10:55 am

Heh... The pope did point out in one of his books that one of the meanings of "koinonia", communion, is "a shared-ownership business enterprise".
Old Apr 22, '11, 11:44 am

Religion: Lutheran LCMS - converting to Catholicism

Quote:
LOL! I love this response!

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy." - St. Francis
Old Apr 22, '11, 11:47 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Yup every pope in history has had ownership of the largest fishing company in the world.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics