Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 25, '11, 2:29 am

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Default Matthew 10:23

"But whenever they persecute you in one city, flee to the next; for truly I say to you, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel until the Son of Man comes."

I have looked up several commentaries but they all had holes in them. Can anyone explain this verse?

God Bless,
Old Apr 25, '11, 2:37 am

Religion: mystical seeker
Default Re: Matthew 10:23

I have no idea, but found this:

Dr. Lightfoot supposes the meaning to be: "Ye shall not have traveled over the cities of Israel, preaching the Gospel, before the Son of man is revealed by his resurrection, Romans 1:4; compare Acts 3:19, Acts 3:20; Acts 5:26. To you first, God, raising up his Son, sent him to bless you, etc. The epoch of the Messiah is dated from the resurrection of Christ." After all, the place may be understood literally; for τελειν τας πολεις, to finish the cities, is only a concise mode of speech, for τελειν οδον δια τας πολεις, to complete the journey through the cities. To finish the survey, to preach in every one: - till the Son of man be come, may refer either to the outpouring of the Spirit on the day of pentecost, or to the subversion of the Jewish state.

Located at:

http://bible.cc/matthew/10-23.htm

Old Apr 25, '11, 9:25 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

This is my take on a number of different footnotes from the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible.

The coming of the son of man refers to (Dan 7:13). This refers to Christ ascension and coronation when he is given the kingdom. Then sitting at the right hand of the Father, God decrees the destruction of all Christ's enemies (Ps 110:1) Linked to this "initial" coming is the visitation of destruction upon unfaithful Jerusalem in A.D. 70. (which was earthly evidence of Christ's vindication that his disciples witnessed). And heaven continues to deal with Christ's enemies. So there was a "coming" within the generation of the living apostles but not his Second Coming in glory. Instead, the vistitation of destruction is a prelude or pre-figurement of his Second Coming. First century events point to (look forward to) his Second coming.

Jesus left the temple area and was going away, when his disciples approached him to point out the temple buildings. He said to them in reply, "You see all these things, do you not? Amen, I say to you, there will not be left here a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down." As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately and said, "Tell us, when will this happen, and what sign will there be of your coming, and of the end of the age?" (Mt 24:1-3)

"Learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, know that he is near, at the gates. Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. (Mt 24:32-34)

scripturecatholic.com
Old May 2, '11, 7:35 am

I've had some confusion over this passage too....let me get this straight: You guys are basically saying that when the Jesus speaks of his "coming" in certain passages he is NOT referring to his second coming, but rather His coming into the kingdom of heaven (the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven)?

If the answer is yes then it really clarifies for me passages like Matthew 16:28: "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."
Old May 2, '11, 9:52 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathonofOhio View Post
I've had some confusion over this passage too....let me get this straight: You guys are basically saying that when the Jesus speaks of his "coming" in certain passages he is NOT referring to his second coming, but rather His coming into the kingdom of heaven (the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven)?

If the answer is yes then it really clarifies for me passages like Matthew 16:28: "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."
I would say yes to a certain extent, but I think it is more than simply going to take his seat at the right hand of the Father. Jesus promised to come again within the generation of the living apostles. As a prelude to his Second Coming, this initial "coming" refered to his visitation of destruction upon unfaithful Jerusalem in 70 A.D.- earthly evidence of his heavenly reign.

scripturecatholic.com
Old May 2, '11, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoneil View Post
I would say yes to a certain extent, but I think it is more than simply going to take his seat at the right hand of the Father.
I am thinking along the same lines as you on this then. Thanks for clarifying that. This has really helped me understand this and a few other passages better. Glad I saw this thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture