Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 25, '11, 10:27 am

Religion: One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church
Default Jesus the Lost 40 days, new books discovered?

So, I was watching a history channel program called "Jesus, The Last 40 Days". This documentary/show (not really sure what to call it) talked about several books that show a carbon date of 300-400AC that talk about the 40 days during Jesus resurection. According to this show the books were only recently discoved (a few years ago). I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this? Has he Holy See had an opportunity to review these books?
Old Apr 25, '11, 11:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus the Lost 40 days, new books discovered?

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Following up last year's "The Real Face of Jesus," History, in a special called "Jesus: The Lost 40 Days," recreates the events in the so-called "lost gospels" of Mary Magdalene, Thomas, Peter and others that were unearthed at Nag Hammadi by Egyptian farmers in 1945.
Old Apr 25, '11, 11:45 am
Forum Supporter

Wednesday, April 20, 9-11 p.m. EDT (History) "Jesus: The Lost 40 Days." This special examines the 40 days that elapsed between Jesus' resurrection and his ascension. Drawing on such nonbiblical writings as the Gospel of Thomas, the Gnostic Gospels, the works of the first-century Jewish historian Josephus and the Gospel of Nicodemus, the program seeks to create a "fuller" narrative of this period than that contained in the canonical Gospels. (While such nonrevealed and -- in some cases -- heretical sources may be of interest historically and culturally, Catholic viewers will not, of course, regard them as faith-formative.) from the USCCB website
Old Apr 25, '11, 5:30 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Learn View Post
So, I was watching a history channel program called "Jesus, The Last 40 Days". This documentary/show (not really sure what to call it) talked about several books that show a carbon date of 300-400AC that talk about the 40 days during Jesus resurection. According to this show the books were only recently discoved (a few years ago). I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this? Has he Holy See had an opportunity to review these books?
Anything you see on History Channel take with a pinch of salt because it is a blatant anti-Christian channel in general and anti-Catholic in particular.
Old Apr 25, '11, 5:54 pm

Ouch!
Old Apr 25, '11, 6:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Anything you see on History Channel take with a pinch of salt because it is a blatant anti-Christian channel in general and anti-Catholic in particular.
Or one can just have some fun and throw the box of salt at the TV. The show is already going to make a mess, so you might as well take your frustration out on it.
Old Apr 25, '11, 8:43 pm

I watched it Sat night. The one expert they interviewed talked about the Gospel of Mary. She insinuated that Mary Magdelin was privvy to lots of private revelation Jesus made to her and others privately, and because the male Apostles didn't know of these revelations they purposely rejected the writings. And also because she was a woman

They also talked about the Gospel of Thomas. Although they pointed out that most of what was in that was simply sayings of Jesus, that were mostly written down already in other gospels, it held some super secret teachings from Jesus.

The thing to remember about these 'lost gospels' is that they weren't included in the bible. A lot of the writings and letters from the early age were lost. Does that make the bible incomplete? Does it mean that there are some secret teachings we aren't aware of? IMO, no. We have the church that has been here from Day 1 to guide us, and for 400 years they didn't use a bible. Early Christians had Tradition, tradition, and the leaders of the church to pass down teachings from generation to generation. And the Holy Spirit guided them.

That being said, in watching that show, something really made me mad. The experts said that in the early days, there were many many churches throughout the mediteranean. Each had their own version of Christianity and each was diverse. The Catholic church was in Rome, and modeled itself on the way the Roman army was organized, in a strict manner with bishops and priests and diocese, etc. But all the other communities were seperate and had their own traditions and variety of beliefs. When Constantine converted to Christianity, he used the Roman army to spread the Catholic version of Christianity throughout these other communities and imposed that organization and belief system on all the other communities.

Now, we all know that's blatantly false and that the other communities knew the seat of Christianity was Rome, and they all followed and obeyed Rome. But it still disheartening to hear that **** pushed on national tv.
Old Apr 26, '11, 10:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Don't believe it.

Don't believe carbon dating either. The carbon dating machine was made by man and has mans information inputted into it, the machine does not know by itself.
Old Apr 26, '11, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post
Or one can just have some fun and throw the box of salt at the TV. The show is already going to make a mess, so you might as well take your frustration out on it.
So true. I watched a little of the show on the last days of Jesus but couldn't watch much without wanting to kick in the TV. Now that holy week is over I guess the History Channel can go back to showing more on the last days of Hilter and I can go back to referring to it as the Hilter Channel.
Old Apr 26, '11, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelka View Post
Don't believe carbon dating either. The carbon dating machine was made by man and has mans information inputted into it, the machine does not know by itself.
If cargon dating is done correct it is very accurate within a time period from a couple of hundred years ago back several thousand years. It is true that machines, labs, processes, etc., do not know by themselves. But men using them and the knowlege, logic, and reasoning that God provided through science they can establish a very close approximate date.

Was the process done correctly? Who knows.
Was the results reported correctly? It was the History Channel!
Old Apr 26, '11, 10:45 am

There is a reason that these 'gnostic gospels' were lost and buried for over 1700 years, because they were not inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Church rejected them, so they were not used in the Liturgy by the various Catholic Churches around the Mediterranean Sea, and they were not copied and passed on.

It always amazes me when some of these 'scholars' (like Bart Ehrman) will so easily reject the books of the New Testament which have a 2000 year trail of history of use in the Churches behind them, and jump so enthusiastically and embrace these gnostic gospel, as exhorting the truth about the life and the sayings of Jesus.
Old Apr 26, '11, 10:46 am

Religion: Working on becoming Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
I find this interesting...

You believe differently from Jews... do you consider yourself anti semitic?

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=523931

"I love Jesus's style"
-Winston Zeddemore
Old Apr 26, '11, 11:22 am

I stopped watching the History channel on anything to do with any religion. ANY religion. I have been, at times, tempted to reach through the TV and slap some of the "experts". I also try to pray for them.
Old Apr 26, '11, 11:26 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I have never heard, but is question is Vatican behind this book and scripted events.
What is really new what is not in Bible, already?
Old Apr 26, '11, 6:25 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrummer5 View Post
I find this interesting...

You believe differently from Jews... do you consider yourself anti semitic?

History Channel does not simply have different views. They actively attack Christianity and the Catholic Church through their programs. That is quite different from believing differently!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture