Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '11, 7:13 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic
Default How is a charismatic mass different?

I don't believe there are any charismatic masses held where I live. Tell me about them! How are they different than regular masses? Would this be the same as a healing mass?
Old Apr 28, '11, 8:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How is a charismatic mass different?

It has been a very long time since I have been to a charismatic mass, mainly because the church I attend now does not have any charismatic priests. I will tell you, however, that it is the Mass itself that ministers to me, charismatic or not. As far as what "rubrics"(if any) there are in a Charismatic Mass, I haven't a clue. It's been so long since I've been to one that I can't recall. Frankly, I love the Mass so much that I don't care if I ever go to another Charismatic Mass, and I am grateful for the Charismatic Renewal for having helped me to rediscover my Catholic faith, but the end of it all, the very thing that the Renewal was pointing to all along was the very thing I have now at this moment. In other words, what the Renewal was meant to accomplish in me, and I presume the rest of the Church, is the reawakening of the beauty of the Catholic faith. In fact, I specifically recall one of the leaders of the Renewal stating that the goal of the Renewal itself was to disappear.
What greater gift is there than to receive JESUS in the eucharist? Was it the Little Flower who said that Jesus does not come down from heaven to remain in a golden ciborium, but instead seeks the heaven of our hearts? Whether the Mass is charismatic, Latin, or in the vernacular is not as important as the fact that Jesus gives Himself to us intimately in a profound mystery. In my opinion, the Mass is the way that I am enabled to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and my neighbor as myself. So to answer your question, if any Mass produces all of this in your heart and prepares your soul to experience the loving unity with your Creator that is promised to all who repent and believe, it is not any different than any other Mass you could possibly attend.
What a gift the Mass is! What a privilege and what a profound gift is Jesus giving Himself to us intimately in the Eucharist! Charismatic or not.
Old Apr 28, '11, 9:07 pm

Religion: Evangelical Catholic

I've been curious to attend a charismatic Mass - the only one I know of is literally across the city from us, in a beautiful Redemptorist church that was actually struck by lightning two years ago and on which reconstruction finished in time for Christmas.

I'm also reading a book out of the charismatic movement by Albert Boudreau, "The Born Again Catholic". It's a slower start than I was hoping but I'm continuing to read - and yes, it has an imprimatur (I think from a charismatic bishop. as well).

Our old parish had a priest who had a lot of charisma, and the Mass we attended was very lively, but there was none of the trappings I'd expect at a charismatic Mass - no glossolalia, no rolling in the aisles. The liturgy was very well-done, the priest expressive and emotive, and the choir just outstanding. They actually had more elements of Taizé - incorporating meditations after Eucharist, and especially for the Good Friday Mass.

I know that doesn't barely answer your question. I hope the movement hasn't died altogether - by seeking to have it disappear, I think the hope was to have its tenets fully incorporated into the main, which sadly hasn't happened. I love the Mass, but I see so many who just go through the motions that it saddens me and I want to find a way to help them to feel fully alive in Christ, as Irenaeus said.
Old Apr 28, '11, 11:06 pm

Religion: Catholic - but figuring where I fit.

Having been to many Charismatic Masses, the only difference between them and the Ordinary Form of the Mass, is that the people pray in tongues. Some Charismatic Masses may get out of hand, and, yes, I've been to a few of those. But for the most part, they are just an ordinary Mass that incorporates periods where prayer tongues are encouraged. Specifically, after the opening hymn, before the celebrant begins the Mass with the Sign of the Cross, there is a period of prayer with tongues and audible praise and worship acclamations. This repeats itself following the elevation of the host, then the chalice, at the consecration. The elevation is typically extended for several minutes. When the Celebrant lowers the Body and Blood, the prayers cease. I have been present at Masses celebrated by Cardinal Archbishops, where the elevations lasted from 3 to 5 minutes. The sound of the congregation singing and praying in tongues is a beautiful melody.

An authentic Charismatic liturgy should be reverent, respectful, and in conformance with liturgical standards. People should not be dancing, Resting in the Spirit, or engaging in some of the more extreme behavior associated with protestant Pentecostalism. At the archdiocesan-held events I attended, and diocesan-sponsored events, there was typically a praise and worship period before the Mass; you might witness some attendees dancing during this event. Resting in the Spirit typically takes place following the liturgy, as prayer teams and priests and deacons lay hands and pray over individuals. Seminarians attending the events frequently served as catchers for those yielding to Rest in the Spirit. I attended events in very conservative dioceses, Philadelphia and Baltimore. The seminarians were from St Charles Borromeo and Mount Saint Mary's, two of the most orthodox seminaries in the USA. The liturgies were beautiful, the attendees reverent.

The few I had problems with, were common problems that can happen at any OF Mass. Holding hands during the Our Father, standing around the altar in the sanctuary during the Eucharistic Prayer and Consecration, neglect to genuflect before the tabernacle and bow before passing the altar. If you attend in a diocese where the Bishops Office is actively involved with the Renewal, the Mass should be no different than any OF Mass you would normally attend, except for the addition of the audible praying and use of tongues as noted above. A healing Mass is a different liturgy, but it might be a Charismatic Healing Mass. Healing liturgies have an opportunity for the sick to come forward to be anointed by a priest. Charismatic often set up and organize such liturgies.

Member Secular Franciscan Order

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -- Mahatma Gandhi
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:10 am

Religion: Catholic - Somewhere between Roman and Ruthenian

Seriously?

I was raised Charismatic Evangelical. Give me a Tridentine Mass or the Divine Liturgy any day over anything "charismatic".

You're not missing out. I promise.
Old Apr 29, '11, 5:13 am

Religion: Catholic

Every Mass is Charismatic inasmuch as it is the work of the Holy Spirit. Anything else is plain silly and has no Apostolic basis whatsoever. The Charismatic nature of the Mass that many people describe is nothing but an attempt to incorporate the worst of prentecostalism into Catholic Worship.
Old Dec 20, '13, 1:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Smile Re: How is a charismatic mass different?

Here's a video of a Charismatic mass in one of the largest mall's in the Philippines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgtq7XxP8Ms...normally before dismissal after prayer after communion the priest goes into a healing prayer

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments