Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '11, 7:35 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic
Exclamation Can I get remarried in a Catholic Church?

Hello to all,

I am so hoping I can get some help on this. I was a practicing catholic when I met my ex-husband 19 years ago and he was a non-practicing baptist. I was married in a parish hall at a baptist church by a church of God preacher. I didn't formally leave my church or join any other church. I am hoping to remarry in a catholic ceremony. Is my previous marriage considered valid or invalid? Where can I get validation of the answer?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can direct me in the right direction....
Old Apr 28, '11, 7:44 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can I get remarried in a Catholic Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmich View Post
Hello to all,

I am so hoping I can get some help on this. I was a practicing catholic when I met my ex-husband 19 years ago and he was a non-practicing baptist. I was married in a parish hall at a baptist church by a church of God preacher. I didn't formally leave my church or join any other church. I am hoping to remarry in a catholic ceremony. Is my previous marriage considered valid or invalid? Where can I get validation of the answer?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can direct me in the right direction....
When you got married, had you seen your priest and done everything that is required of a Catholic for her to get married outside the Church? If not, then your marriage is likely invalid due to lack of canonical form.

If that is the case, you present the marriage certificate, or more likely a certified copy of the registration of marriage (which shows the specific location of the wedding and the officiant), a recent copy of your baptismal certificate (which should show no marriage) and your divorce papers to your pastor who will likely forward everything to the Marriage Tribunal and that should be it -- a few weeks and you get notice of freedom to marry.
Old Apr 28, '11, 10:11 pm

If your marriage is deemed valid and you are now divorced then you need to apply for an annulment. They are not as easy to get as they once were. (70's -90's). There will be costs involved that vary from Diocese to Diocese.

As my first grade teacher used to say, "stay within the lines".
Old Apr 29, '11, 6:37 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
I am so hoping I can get some help on this. I was a practicing catholic when I met my ex-husband 19 years ago and he was a non-practicing baptist. I was married in a parish hall at a baptist church by a church of God preacher. I didn't formally leave my church or join any other church.
It sounds as though you married outside Catholic form without permission from the bishop to do so. This would be an invalid attempt at marriage.

Quote:
I am hoping to remarry in a catholic ceremony. Is my previous marriage considered valid or invalid?
It appears to be invalid. So, what you do is make an appointment with your priest and follow his instructions. You will need a declaration of freedom to marry-- this is a paperwork process. You will submit your marriage license, baptismal records (you or the priest obtains that from your baptismal parish, it will have the parish seal on it), and your divorce decree, plus a form. This all goes to the diocese. It takes a couple of months, typically.

Quote:
Where can I get validation of the answer?
Step 1, go see your priest and get the process started.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Apr 29, '11, 3:59 pm

See your priest and your priest will walk you through this. God bless.

In Formation with SFO - to Come and See Contact NAFRA-SFO
Old Apr 29, '11, 4:14 pm
Forum Elder

While the case may seem "obvious," the only people who can rule definitively are the members of your Marriage Tribunal.

Get an appointment with your parish priest to find out how to get started. I feel sure that you will have good news in a short while - but let them make the final decision.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Apr 29, '11, 11:13 pm

Religion: (cradle) Catholic - Latin Rite

[quote=corsair;7814121]If your marriage is deemed valid and you are now divorced then you need to apply for an annulment. They are not as easy to get as they once were. (70's -90's). There will be costs involved that vary from Diocese to Diocese.

If I may, an annulment, more accurately called a Decree of Nullity, is a statement that a marriage is not (never was) valid in the eyes of the Church. Thus, a "marriage deemed valid" could never be "annulled."

As was pointed out above, it may be that your marriage was not valid because it did not follow the requirements of the Church (lack of canonical form) and you could be granted a Decree of Nullity and then be free to remarry.

More importantly, as also was advised above, for a definitive answer for your specific situation the place to start is your local priest.
Old Apr 30, '11, 4:12 am

You get definite answer through your Catholic parish.

For the validity of the marriage of a Catholic the witnessing of the parish priest is required (marriage in Catholic Church) Your marriage is almost certainly invalid, but the decision belong to the Church. Contact your parish.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments