Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 29, '11, 11:18 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Roman Catholic Taking Communion at Other Christian (Non-Catholic) Churches?

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be attending a couple of Christian Baptisms soon that are Non-Catholic. One is in an Anglican (Episcopal) Church, the other is in a United Church. I know that the United Church one is part of a Sunday morning service. The beliefs of both of these churches is that any baptized Christian can take part in their communion, but I was always taught that Roman Catholics can only receive communion within our own church. Is this the case, and if so, how do I pass up taking communion if it is offered (I'm not sure if it's a communion service) without looking rude?
God Bless!

Last edited by veilofveronica; Apr 29, '11 at 11:19 am. Reason: better explanation
Old Apr 29, '11, 11:35 am

Default Re: Roman Catholic Taking Communion at Other Christian (Non-Catholic) Churches?

You look rude and let the chips fall. When I was Protestant I didn't go up for Communion sometimes because I felt I had to live better. Whether that's good or not, it definitely goes against the grain and takes courage not too. I'd just look rude. Otherwise you imply that you condone the Protestant understanding of things. And that does all parties a disservice.
Old Apr 29, '11, 11:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Roman Catholic Taking Communion at Other Christian (Non-Catholic) Churches?

Here is what I do when I attend services at my wife's Protestant church. Ushers pass bread and grape juice to the people in the pews. I simply take the plate and pass it to the next person down the pew. This is in a respectful manner and always with some reverence.

Like veilofveronica said, to take part in their communion service would be claiming that you are in "common union" with them. Unfortunately, we are not yet there. So, as non-Catholics are asked to abstain from taking the Eucharist, we should also respect their beliefs and likewise decline. This can be awkward, especially when the speaker strongly encourages EVERYONE to take part. But it is more important to be true to yourself than to publicly represent something which you are not.

If they go forward for communion, simply remain in your seat. If they pass communion to all, just act like it's a collection basket at a Catholic church and quickly pass it on!
Old Apr 29, '11, 11:48 am

Religion: I'm in RCIA! :D

I don't think most Protestants see it as rude, just like most Catholics don't think it's rude not to go up and receive the Eucharist. They might assume you just aren't 'right with God' that particular morning, or that you're abstaining because you haven't been baptized yet, or what have you. Most of them will just assume there's a good reason, and leave it alone.

I wouldn't worry about it. The worst that will happen is that someone will ask you why you're not taking communion and you might get into a conversation about being Catholic. Most people won't, though, because taking or not taking communion is a personal thing.

Hope this helped some!
Nicki

From the cowardice that dares not face new truth,
From the laziness that is contented with half truth,
From the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth,
Good Lord, deliver me. ~Prayer from Kenya
Old Apr 29, '11, 11:55 am
Banned

Religion: Quaker

If they invite communicants to the rail....simply stay seated in a prayerful manner....if they pass the small communion cups with wine/grape juice and bread...just pass it on and remain respectful.

I have been in meetings for worship where I have not shared in the bread and wine...one need not be rude or disrespecful...nor intend to be simply to show one's disdain for the traditions respective ordinance/sacrament...not that I'm implying you would be....being respecful is the key.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:01 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon

I cannot imagine protestants being insulted, angry, or anything about not recieving communion there. Simply say, "Gonna hang back here for a bit" and bow your head in prayer.

It always works for me. I've gone to several non catholic churches where this situation comes up. No one cares who doesn't go up and accept communion.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalking View Post
I cannot imagine protestants being insulted, angry, or anything about not recieving communion there. Simply say, "Gonna hang back here for a bit" and bow your head in prayer.

It always works for me. I've gone to several non catholic churches where this situation comes up. No one cares who doesn't go up and accept communion.
I've even attended "Sacrament meetings" at the local LDS chapel with some friends....just passed the tray to my neighbor...I wasn't the only one not partaking.

The key is what Ms. Franklin espoused...R-E-S-P-E-C-T...simple respect we would want showed to us.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:10 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
I've even attended "Sacrament meetings" at the local LDS chapel with some friends....just passed the tray to my neighbor...I wasn't the only one not partaking.

The key is what Ms. Franklin espoused...R-E-S-P-E-C-T...simple respect we would want showed to us.

Totally agree with you you.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:24 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilofveronica View Post
how do I pass up taking communion if it is offered (I'm not sure if it's a communion service) without looking rude?
God Bless!
Be very gentle, polite and say, "No thank you".
Or still, don't get in the line if they have one.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:29 pm
Banned

Religion: Ex Catholic(Christian)
Post Re: Roman Catholic Taking Communion at Other Christian (Non-Catholic) Churches?

I attended a seventh day adventist service with a neighbor/friend.Since I wasn't a practicing catholic at the time,I went up for the distribution of the bread and grapejuice.Hopefully,I didn't commit a sin,because I was a lapsed catholic at the time.
As christians,I see no reason why we can't share in communion with some of our christian brothers and sisters.What about taking communion at a Lutheran or Episcopalian service?
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:37 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny50 View Post
I attended a seventh day adventist service with a neighbor/friend.Since I wasn't a practicing catholic at the time,I went up for the distribution of the bread and grapejuice.Hopefully,I didn't commit a sin,because I was a lapsed catholic at the time.
As christians,I see no reason why we can't share in communion with some of our christian brothers and sisters.What about taking communion at a Lutheran or Episcopalian service?
Well, the lapsed part wouldn't make it not sinful, Franny, but if you didn't know it was sinful, that would excuse you. You could have been a real 'participating' Catholic and still not known it was wrong. However, now you know it's wrong so now if you deliberately did it, it WOULD be sinful.

However, NO to Lutheran or Episcopalians. You are NOT in full union with them, they are not in full union with you. Also canon law requires you, as a Catholic, to only receive from a CATHOLIC minister (i.e. priest, deacon, EHMC) in a Catholic Church or in any church which is deemed to have a valid communion/valid orders. In the Catholic understanding that would include the Orthodox but NOT Lutherans or Episcopalians. I'm sure somebody with more time (I have to head out) will show you the relevant paragraphs from the catechism and the code of Canon Law.

God bless.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny50 View Post
I have attended meetings for worship with other traditions that asked me to participate in their communion service. I let them know I have not been baptized in water as I am a Friend...but if they're good with that...I would have no problem sharing the "sacred meal" with them....we worship the same God and acknolwege the same Lord.

I know however that Catholics are forbidden to share in communion outside of the Catholic church...Orthodox being the exception...but the Orthodox usually deny communion to any NOT Orthodox for the same reasons Catholics deny those not Catholic.....I believe some Lutherans are closed communionists as well.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:46 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
I have attended meetings for worship with other traditions that asked me to participate in their communion service. I let them know I have not been baptized in water as I am a Friend...but if they're good with that...I would have no problem sharing the "sacred meal" with them....we worship the same God and acknolwege the same Lord.
That's fine for you, Publisher, but if you as a Friend had a teaching that said you should not share with someone, even someone who worshipped the 'same Lord', I'm sure you'd adhere to that. I do not believe it would be Christian behavior for somebody who knew somebody else was not 'supposed to' do something (even if the first person had no problems with it), for them to encourage the second person to disobey their spiritual leader/teachings just because the first person didn't have a problem with it. . .

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Apr 29, '11, 12:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post
That's fine for you, Publisher, but if you as a Friend had a teaching that said you should not share with someone, even someone who worshipped the 'same Lord', I'm sure you'd adhere to that. I do not believe it would be Christian behavior for somebody who knew somebody else was not 'supposed to' do something (even if the first person had no problems with it), for them to encourage the second person to disobey their spiritual leader/teachings just because the first person didn't have a problem with it. . .
Friend...I agree with you...I don't believe I indicated anything other wise...if I did so please let me know.
Old Apr 29, '11, 3:19 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilofveronica View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be attending a couple of Christian Baptisms soon that are Non-Catholic. One is in an Anglican (Episcopal) Church, the other is in a United Church. I know that the United Church one is part of a Sunday morning service. The beliefs of both of these churches is that any baptized Christian can take part in their communion, but I was always taught that Roman Catholics can only receive communion within our own church. Is this the case, and if so, how do I pass up taking communion if it is offered (I'm not sure if it's a communion service) without looking rude?
God Bless!
Hi V.
Look at it in reverse. If I came to mass at your parish, and knowing I was Lutheran, you saw me 1) stay kneeling in the pew, or 2) went up to receive a blessing with my arms crossed, would you consider me as rude? I would think not, as you would probably think I was being respectful of your tradition, as well as mine.
I would see it the same way were you in my Lutheran Church. Simply staying in the pew - we have guests do it all the time, being in a tourist area -is not rude or disrespectful.
In fact, it is the respectful thing to do, for your tradition and mine.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions