Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 30, '11, 3:03 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Why do people hate catholics

It really upsets me how much people hate Catholics. Why is this? It doesn't matter how often you explain the common misunderstandings (ie Mary, Papal infallibility, prayer to Saints and on and on)...people just hate us. The comments on Yahoo News about Pope John Paul II beatification are beyond terrible. Vicious remarks about priests, the Vatican, Catholics in general are rampant. I deal with it everyday at local home school groups. Most of the mothers are evangelical and as soon as they find out I'm Catholic...its like I'm the outcast. A few people are "tolerant" of my religion but it is as if they think of me an ignorant child who needs to be "taught the truth". Everyone assumes that I am a cradle Catholic. "oh you were indoctrinated as as child" they nod knowing ....Nope, I converted about 6 years ago, I say. They are shocked that an otherwise intelligent person would be so stupid to join the "Catholics" as an adult.

Anyway....This just really depresses me and weighs on my heart. It saddens me that my 5 year old son is going to be noticing soon and start asking questions. I just don't understand the anger....for example. There is a home school mother that I see alot and she is very nice but she often brings up that I should be raising my son in a more "Christ Centered Church." I explain that everything about our Church is Christ-centered and her response is (and this is normally a mild sweet woman)...oh do you consider raping boys and worshipiing idols Christ centered? Then she gestured toward my crucifix necklace as being an idol. Agggghhh Can you please explain this to me or give me some advice?

God Bless,

Cynthia
Old Apr 30, '11, 3:05 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Mormon
Default Re: Why do people hate catholics

It's the same reason people hate mormons, protestants, jews, African-Americans, whites-ignorance and fear.
Old Apr 30, '11, 3:09 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

Take me off your list ~ I DO NOT hate Catholics - Never did - never will

Old Apr 30, '11, 3:24 pm

I get some of that too-- mostly from Facebook "friends" and extended family. I've been deleting people who make offensive remarks, so my list of people outside my parish is going to be getting smaller by the day!

I had an aunt of my husbands tell us that baptism is "only symbolic" and unnecessary. Another (who I blocked, and my husband defriended) was a distant relative who went into the whole "wh*re of babylon" screed.

Another, is a fallen away Catholic who blames the RCC for the size of her family and the fact that her exhusband was a bully. I posted information on where to watch the beatification ceremony of JP II, and she *had* to make a remark about how he shouldn't be considered for sainthood because of the pedofile fiasco. Um. Yeah. She's off my list too.

I find that most of the people who hate Catholicism fall into two broad categories. Those who are Christians who don't understand what Catholicism really is (they only know what some one like Jack Chick says it is) and atheists or new agers who want to do what ever they want, and resent the fact that there are moral laws to live by, and the church upholds them.
Old Apr 30, '11, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindydanleo View Post
It really upsets me how much people hate Catholics. Why is this? It doesn't matter how often you explain the common misunderstandings (ie Mary, Papal infallibility, prayer to Saints and on and on)...people just hate us. The comments on Yahoo News about Pope John Paul II beatification are beyond terrible. Vicious remarks about priests, the Vatican, Catholics in general are rampant. I deal with it everyday at local home school groups. Most of the mothers are evangelical and as soon as they find out I'm Catholic...its like I'm the outcast. A few people are "tolerant" of my religion but it is as if they think of me an ignorant child who needs to be "taught the truth". Everyone assumes that I am a cradle Catholic. "oh you were indoctrinated as as child" they nod knowing ....Nope, I converted about 6 years ago, I say. They are shocked that an otherwise intelligent person would be so stupid to join the "Catholics" as an adult.

Anyway....This just really depresses me and weighs on my heart. It saddens me that my 5 year old son is going to be noticing soon and start asking questions. I just don't understand the anger....for example. There is a home school mother that I see alot and she is very nice but she often brings up that I should be raising my son in a more "Christ Centered Church." I explain that everything about our Church is Christ-centered and her response is (and this is normally a mild sweet woman)...oh do you consider raping boys and worshipiing idols Christ centered? Then she gestured toward my crucifix necklace as being an idol. Agggghhh Can you please explain this to me or give me some advice?

God Bless,

Cynthia
I don't know where you're from but I've never been anywhere where Catholics were hated and I honestly think you're exaggerating....a lot.

Most non Catholics are not even worried about Catholics, they're just neutral and probably get along fine with their Catholic neighbors. Even if they do disagree with something(s) about Catholicism, it still doesn't mean hate.

I have been mixed up with anti Catholics which are a different case entirely but I still wouldn't necessarily use the word hate, and with the case of anti Catholics you need to remember that a very large percentage of them are actually just ex Catholics on a hissy fit about trying to find something evil about the Church so they can justify their departure from it.

The overwhelming majority of non Catholics seem to have zero issue with the Catholic Church.
Old Apr 30, '11, 4:32 pm

Quote:

God Bless,

Cynthia
I haven't run into this "hate" personally, except on forums. You'll need to do as Jesus did from the Cross. He said, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do." Be patient with them, and tell them you'll pray for them. That'll probably irritate them, but tell them you're serious.
Old Apr 30, '11, 4:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

For the ones that do, it doesn't help that they've been given misinformation and lies about the Faith and little or 0 about what we actually believe. It says a lot for my (non-Catholic) friends that they're still friends in spite of all the negativity about the Church.

Maybe you can root out a few other Catholic home-educated families to co-op with and try to be more positive about the others. Put yourself in their shoes. And then let's look at ourselves and the ways in which we can grow in holiness. People need to be able to look at us and see that we are different in a magnetic way - to see the face of Christ and be drawn to Him. Then perhaps the Holy Spirit can work through us to soften people's hearts and come closer to the Truth. It worked for the saints
Old Apr 30, '11, 4:59 pm
Banned

Religion: Mass-attending agnostic with a Catholic spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonsfalling View Post
I don't know where you're from but I've never been anywhere where Catholics were hated and I honestly think you're exaggerating....a lot.

Most non Catholics are not even worried about Catholics, they're just neutral and probably get along fine with their Catholic neighbors. Even if they do disagree with something(s) about Catholicism, it still doesn't mean hate.
Agreed...100 percent.

I am a non-believer who attends mass with my Catholic wife every week. The folks I've met at that parish form a community of genuinely nice and decent people. There might be one or two that I don't particularly care for, but to say that I hate them would be a gross exaggeration. I have to agree with the poster above that those who "hate Catholics" are probably not familiar with Catholicism, and are acting out of fear and ignorance - same as if they hated Mormons, Muslims, or Jews. That's what happens when fear and ignorance overrides reason.

Now, I will admit that I sometimes find myself scratching my head and wondering, "how can an otherwise intelligent person believe this?" But hate??? No way.

Edit to add:

As I think about this more, some people are probably very much turned off by the Catholic claim that Catholicism is somehow special and has been blessed with "The Truth," and that other religions are therefore inferior. But again, this feeling of being turned off, in most people, does not rise to the level of "hate." (Of course, most religions make extraordinary claims. Catholics are not alone in this. But as a reader of CAF, I naturally see this from Catholics more than from others.)
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:01 pm

I know from my experience homeschooling, that you are NOT exaggerating!

Your experience sounds much like mine in the homeschooling community. The biggest homeschooling group locally is a Christian organization, made up of mostly Evangelicals and "former" Catholics. While I and my children have made some solid friends among them, we've also been confronted with real ugliness concerning my sons' scapulars and medals, our "swatting flies" at the start and end of every prayer and our non-participation in their activities on Good Friday.

For an introvert like me, the challenges to my faith have been both a cross and a blessing. I know my children are watching the charitable, but truthful responses I've LEARNED to give (there's the blessing-the desire to learn about Catholicism has grown so strong as I've been hit again and again with the need to defend our faith.)
I've seen them, as teens now, do their own defending with charity and clarity, and I know that's one of the reasons God gave me a heart for homeschooling.

Jesus' message offended a great deal of people during his lifetime, and I've decided that's just par for the course for his followers. Use every opportunity you're given to speak The Truth, let your life be a witness to The Truth, and don't take the insults to heart.

God bless!
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:04 pm

Quote:

I have been mixed up with anti Catholics which are a different case entirely but I still wouldn't necessarily use the word hate, and with the case of anti Catholics you need to remember that a very large percentage of them are actually just ex Catholics on a hissy fit about trying to find something evil about the Church so they can justify their departure from it.

The overwhelming majority of non Catholics seem to have zero issue with the Catholic Church.
I think it does depend on where you live. Indy is much more protestant, not as "Ethnic" as Chicago, which had a Catholic influx of Irish, Germans, Italians, and Polish people. I
I have run into "hatred"-- strong word-- but when you're the minority it is hurtful.

OP- You said it makes you depressed, and I tend to lose sleep over this type of issue, too. However, the less I am around them, and more friends I have who are Catholic, the less depressed I am.

Your home schooling situation is unfortunate, because it could be wonderful for your kids. You will really need to protect your kids from that influence.
Teach them well.
I have a list of people that I pray for, and I will add "home schooling Catholics" to it.
Pray to St Michael to defend you in battle, and also to the Holy Spirit to guide your teaching.
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:07 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:

How can they be exaggerating when they are just speaking from personal experience?

I myself have had to sit there grimacing when people are discussing the Catholic Church in a "less than favourable" tone, shall I say. I'm not one of those to start fights for no reason so I don't say anything unless I'm asked, which I haven't yet.

Yesterday on Facebook I added my patron Saint - St Faustina - to my "list of inspirational people" as well as our current Pope, Oscar Romero, St Christopher and St Therese. One of my friends from RCIA made a playful comment about how I'm being really "out" as a Catholic since Easter, and then something I've been quite apprehensive about happened - a friend from school commented on it. When I was at school studying to go to University, I was "super-secular" and they commented saying this, asking what's changed. I didn't really want to start a public debate about it so I spoke to them via private message, said I converted and they asked me why, then they just said "lol" and didn't reply. It was obvious they didn't approve.
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

Those of you who say you think the OP is exaggerating - clearly, you don't live in the Deep South or interact with lots of people in graduate school. I have heard nasty comments from full professors, during class, at a public university. The Newman Club at our parish constantly counsels students who have had profs say inaccurate or cruel things about the Church (from gross historical inaccuracies to things about child-molesting priests).

I mean, go onto any secular news story about JP II's beautification and read the comment section. You'll be appalled - so many people are saying he shouldn't be sainted because he hid child molestation (among other things). Babble.com, a parenting website, is actually virulently anti-Catholic. Their news blog, Stroller Derby, runs anti-Catholic screeds about once a week (gross inaccuracies about going to confession via iPod, molestation statistics, etc.).
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

God Bless,

Cynthia
Don't worry about it.

Luke 21:17 You will be hated universally on account of my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiatingx View Post
"swatting flies"
What does this mean?
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:30 pm

Religion: catholic

I think the word "hate" is a little harsh, even though it feels that way at times. I too have been hurt by other Christians over their catholic remarks.

The arguments are always the same, papal authority, organized religion, Mary, blah blah, blah. If you try to "share" your belief, or explain it, you are shut off!! or is that shut-up? Either way, they are right and you are wrong. In my experience they are "eager" and feel "convicted" to share THE TRUTH with you, but when you attempt to correct, or share with them, they almost yawn. (and it is always "but Pastor says") Keep reading on this site and you will see it time and time again. (but our catholic heroes are here)))))) yes indeedie

I don't talk about catholicism anymore with either one of my protestant sisters. I have finally realized since coming here to CAF (regularly for the past two months) that we actually speak "two" different languages, so when we are talking about our life with the Lord, we seem to be getting along fine because they think I am one of them. This has worked out in the past, but things are fixing to change. I am educating myself here! (can you believe I agreed to an invisible church with one of them?)

May I suggest staying away from news on yahoo, or whatever other anti-catholic sites there are just for the sake of not letting it get the best of you. Stay on this forum and just read, read read and learn. The time will come when you will be able to answer them in a most charitable way...and feel good about it; )

P.S.....my protestant sisters are a step-sister and a cousin..........they are family

On a happy note: this site is full of all different faiths and it is nice to hear from them and to learn about their beliefs too.

Teresa
Old Apr 30, '11, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalking View Post
It's the same reason people hate mormons, protestants, jews, African-Americans, whites-ignorance and fear.
That's true Rascalkig, but also consider as an example how much anger and hostility that some Catholics show even here on this forum, to anyone who doesn't agree with them. You and I have always said that that's no way to win friends and influence people. And look at the way some Catholics say that only Catholics are going to be saved and that people of all other religions are damned to hell, or that Catholics are the only one's with the "Truth" but all other people have nontruths. We know we're right, but the way we talk to people is a reflection of our religion and a reflection on those who follow the Catholic faith. Just like we Catholics think it is absurd that someone would say that only Catholics will burn in the fires of Hell, that's how other people feel when Catholics make such claims to them. If negativity is put out, it will come back. That's why the most important part of evangelization is leading by example. *Show* them how a Catholic lives.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life