Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '11, 10:22 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholic Books for 4-6th grade boys

I have two boys who will be in the 4th grade and the 6th grade next fall. I'm looking for some books that they might enjoy. We have a Catholic Children's Encyclopedia that has several stories in it about different saints, but they're only just short biographies of a few pages each that are really below their reading levels. We read through the whole book together, and they really enjoyed reading the biography type stories, but I'd like to find something that's a little bit older age level that maybe goes into a bit more detail. Does anyone have any reccomendations for a chapter-type book that would be appropriate for them? What about fiction books with Catholic themes? Does anyone know of such a thing?

Their religious education classes at the Church are going to be finishing for the Summer soon, so I was hoping to find some things to supplement with at home while they're classes are on break. I'd love to hear from some other moms of boys if you've found books on Catholic topics that interest them.
Old May 2, '11, 10:33 am

Smile Re: Catholic Books for 4-6th grade boys

I have two sons ages almost 9 and almost 11 and it is a challange to find good books that will keep their interest.

One book we have that they do like is called "The Action Bible" which is bible stories in comic book style with pictures. It appeals to their age and they are reading actual bible stories.

Good luck, I hope to see some interesting repsonses.

Linda
Old May 2, '11, 10:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Catholic Books for 4-6th grade boys

Ignatius Press publishes Vision books and they have many chapter books about saints approprate for that age. http://www.ignatius.com/Products/Cat...sionBooks.aspx My children enjoy them. I have read some of them outloud to my children, and I've bought several that they enjoy reading independently.

TAN books has also republished some books that were part of an old series by Fr. Francis Finn called "Tom Playfair". They are fictious stories about a Catholic boys boarding school around the turn of the last century. Those are nice books for Catholic boys the age of your children.
Old May 2, '11, 10:41 am
Book Club Member

How about The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis? While not Bible stories or Saint's biographies, they are written from a Christian (Anglican) perspective. I'm reading them with my children (2nd & 3rd grade) right now, but your boys would probably be able to read them on their own. Lots of adventuring and sword-fighting and other stuff that appeals to boys. Also, for the older one, maybe The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (who was Catholic).

Edited to add:
OOOPS! Just noticed you wanted materials to supplement their religious education! I still think these are good books for kids, though.
Old May 2, '11, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenswithkids View Post
Ignatius Press publishes Vision books and they have many chapter books about saints approprate for that age. http://www.ignatius.com/Products/Cat...sionBooks.aspx My children enjoy them. I have read some of them outloud to my children, and I've bought several that they enjoy reading independently.

TAN books has also republished some books that were part of an old series by Fr. Francis Finn called "Tom Playfair". They are fictious stories about a Catholic boys boarding school around the turn of the last century. Those are nice books for Catholic boys the age of your children.
We have a few of these and my kids really enjoy them as well.

I would suggest buying a book list such as "A Mother's List of Books" by Theresa Fagan (you can get it through Amazon, it's 7 or 8 dollars). There are a lot of suggested books for all age levels. It has served us well in looking for reading material.

For summer religious ed, you could try an online course - www.mycatholicfaithdelivered.com has the Faith and Life series available for a very low price.
Old May 2, '11, 10:53 am

If you go to some of home school programs you will find lots of readers for your boys.

Here is Setons site

and here is their fourth grade readers
from your
neighborhood?

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.
Old May 2, '11, 11:45 am

I wrote "My Great-grandfather Turns 12 Today" for children that age. It's a novel for middle-graders.

It's an e-book but you don't need an e-book reader to read it. (Also, because it's an e-book it's only $2.99.)

You can read more about the book here:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Great-grand...4360923&sr=1-5

www.BillDodds.com
Old May 2, '11, 11:48 am
Prayer Warrior

powerlinemom

I don't have any recommendations but I just want to say THANK YOU!!!
As a catechist my heart is broken by parents who treat Religious Education as less important than sports and other activities. So the fact that you are on here asking how to supplement and continue your children's RE is AWESOME. You are clearly your children's primary catechist.

Old May 2, '11, 11:58 am
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...der_1400315387

This has a "Look Inside" feature on Amazon and it references to the CCC. Each day there's an actitivity and a prayer. It also references the Liturgical year. A letter from Mother Teresa is in the foreward. And it has an Imprimatur. I'm 50 and I get a kick out of this Children's Bible.
Old May 4, '11, 1:22 pm

The books by Mary Fabyan Windeatt were favorites growing up at our house. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Rose-Lim...4539764&sr=1-7

I have to second the Fr. Finn stories too, especially the Tom Playfair trilogy. They were re-printed from the late 1800's-early 1900's, and are therefore a little old-fashioned and quaint, but still hilarious and a good read for kids. They definitely withstood the test of time

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life