Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 17, '05, 8:59 am
jrabs jrabs is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 5, 2004
Posts: 11,438
Religion: Catholic
Default Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Anyone ever got one of those sex offender fliers in the mail saying an offender has moved into your area? I have received 2 recently for level 2 offenders. Got them posted on my fridge. Scary stuff!

Here is a quick website to see if there are any preditors in your area. Not sure how updated this is - but sadly interesting.

http://www.criminalcheck.com/
__________________
"Only a general knows how and when to use one of his soldiers. Wait, your turn will come." St. Padre Pio
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 17, '05, 9:11 am
TarAshly TarAshly is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 19, 2004
Posts: 1,781
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

WOW! theres one in my apartment complex. a rapist! im going to call my leasing office right away! thank you for the heads up!
__________________
"Did you ever stop to think that the bum on the street may really be one of Gods Angels here on earth?

"What you do to the least of man ......"


Proud to be one of Mary's Legionaries
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 17, '05, 9:52 am
YinYangMom YinYangMom is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: June 9, 2004
Posts: 4,570
Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Ok, I have several problems here...

a) once a convicted sexual predator does his/her time they are free citizens again (though I understand all convicted persons lose their right to vote)...they have to live SOMEWHERE.

b) the concept of shooing away an ex-convict from my neighborhood seems to state - it's ok for YOUR neighborhood, but not mine....go commit a crime on my friend in the next town, just stay away from me.

c) the call to forgive for Catholics does not stop just because we know who the past sinners are. It is very un-Christianlike, in my opinion, to brand people who have served their time and have possibly reformed.

d) the purpose of the list isn't to get everyone riled up to run the person out of town...it's so that we can become more aware or potential problems. It is a resource which helps the neighborhood watch aspect of a community work more effectively. We are called then to be more observant and if we see any behavior we recognize as being warning signals or in violation of the person's probation then we are obliged to call the authorities.

e) There are many criminal activities already taking place in your neighborhood....you just don't know about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 17, '05, 11:53 am
Princess_Abby Princess_Abby is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2004
Posts: 2,911
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYangMom
Ok, I have several problems here...

a) once a convicted sexual predator does his/her time they are free citizens again (though I understand all convicted persons lose their right to vote)...they have to live SOMEWHERE.

b) the concept of shooing away an ex-convict from my neighborhood seems to state - it's ok for YOUR neighborhood, but not mine....go commit a crime on my friend in the next town, just stay away from me.

c) the call to forgive for Catholics does not stop just because we know who the past sinners are. It is very un-Christianlike, in my opinion, to brand people who have served their time and have possibly reformed.

d) the purpose of the list isn't to get everyone riled up to run the person out of town...it's so that we can become more aware or potential problems. It is a resource which helps the neighborhood watch aspect of a community work more effectively. We are called then to be more observant and if we see any behavior we recognize as being warning signals or in violation of the person's probation then we are obliged to call the authorities.

e) There are many criminal activities already taking place in your neighborhood....you just don't know about it.
Very true. I don't think those lists should be used to go run someone out of town, humiliate them or otherwise ridicule.

However, this doesn't mean caution shouldn't be exercised. It's important to be aware and protect our children and ourselves.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 17, '05, 11:58 am
bossmare bossmare is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 7, 2005
Posts: 87
Religion: currently in RCIA!
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

I doubt the lists are meant to "shoo" anyone out. I think awareness is the key. We have the right to know if there are violent sex offenders living close by. For the sake of our children and ourselves. Pure safety issue. No its not right to bother those on the lists, but we have the right to know. Look at the cases of children who have been hurt/killed/etc by violent offenders all because no one knew they lived close by
__________________
God would not urge us to ask, unless He were willing to give.

-- St. Augustine

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 17, '05, 12:28 pm
azannette azannette is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2004
Posts: 7
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYangMom
Ok, I have several problems here...

a) once a convicted sexual predator does his/her time they are free citizens again (though I understand all convicted persons lose their right to vote)...they have to live SOMEWHERE.

b) the concept of shooing away an ex-convict from my neighborhood seems to state - it's ok for YOUR neighborhood, but not mine....go commit a crime on my friend in the next town, just stay away from me.

c) the call to forgive for Catholics does not stop just because we know who the past sinners are. It is very un-Christianlike, in my opinion, to brand people who have served their time and have possibly reformed.

d) the purpose of the list isn't to get everyone riled up to run the person out of town...it's so that we can become more aware or potential problems. It is a resource which helps the neighborhood watch aspect of a community work more effectively. We are called then to be more observant and if we see any behavior we recognize as being warning signals or in violation of the person's probation then we are obliged to call the authorities.

e) There are many criminal activities already taking place in your neighborhood....you just don't know about it.
__________________
blessed mom of 5
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 17, '05, 2:22 pm
MooCowSteph MooCowSteph is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2004
Posts: 3,347
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmare
I doubt the lists are meant to "shoo" anyone out. I think awareness is the key. We have the right to know if there are violent sex offenders living close by. For the sake of our children and ourselves. Pure safety issue. No its not right to bother those on the lists, but we have the right to know. Look at the cases of children who have been hurt/killed/etc by violent offenders all because no one knew they lived close by
Exactly! We need not do anything with the information we find, but wouldn't you want to know if there was a child sex offender on your street if you had young children? We need to be aware.

Anyone in Maryland can check here.
http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/onlineservs/sor/
It has photos.
__________________
Steph

(DD2005) (DD2008) (miscarriage2010) (DS2012)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 17, '05, 3:05 pm
TarAshly TarAshly is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 19, 2004
Posts: 1,781
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYangMom
Ok, I have several problems here...

a) once a convicted sexual predator does his/her time they are free citizens again (though I understand all convicted persons lose their right to vote)...they have to live SOMEWHERE.

b) the concept of shooing away an ex-convict from my neighborhood seems to state - it's ok for YOUR neighborhood, but not mine....go commit a crime on my friend in the next town, just stay away from me.

c) the call to forgive for Catholics does not stop just because we know who the past sinners are. It is very un-Christianlike, in my opinion, to brand people who have served their time and have possibly reformed.

d) the purpose of the list isn't to get everyone riled up to run the person out of town...it's so that we can become more aware or potential problems. It is a resource which helps the neighborhood watch aspect of a community work more effectively. We are called then to be more observant and if we see any behavior we recognize as being warning signals or in violation of the person's probation then we are obliged to call the authorities.

e) There are many criminal activities already taking place in your neighborhood....you just don't know about it.
Right, however my complex has rules against sexual preditors living in the neighborhood, and honey i dont live in that fancy a neighborhood, its dangerous to have these people in such close and closed in proximity to children and women. sorry but i placed my phone call and let the officer of the complex know about it. aparently his parole officer forced him to move out of the complex about a month ago, it just hasnt updated on the list aparently. i have no regrets im sorry but i dont want myself, my niece or my sister to become this guys next victim. we all live in the same complex. it just isnt safe. trusted my good judgement here i hope.
__________________
"Did you ever stop to think that the bum on the street may really be one of Gods Angels here on earth?

"What you do to the least of man ......"


Proud to be one of Mary's Legionaries
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 17, '05, 4:04 pm
Celia Celia is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 29, 2004
Posts: 1,910
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Wow...ok, there is a rehab center down the road from my house, I thought it was for like alcoholics and drug users & such, apparently it has SEVERAL convicted child molesters living there as well. And with all these kids in my apartment complex....oh, that is awful. Thank you for posting this, at least now we know to keep an eye out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 17, '05, 4:15 pm
BobCatholic BobCatholic is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 4,495
Religion: Catholic
Default rainbow sashers

They should list rainbow sashers on that list. After all, they're trying to prey on the Eucharist....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 17, '05, 4:21 pm
BLB_Oregon BLB_Oregon is offline
 
Join Date: July 18, 2004
Posts: 2,941
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

You don't have to look it up. There are sexual predators in your area. Only a fraction of them will ever be caught.

You and your children need to be on the look-out for adults whose behavior might pose a threat. Your kids need to know that "Most people are nice, but dangerous people can look just like nice people... in fact, they try hard to look even nicer, because they need you to trust them."

This has always been so. There is a reason why people told their children "morbid" fairy tales about strangers who turned out to not be what they seemed. It was a way of getting a healthy suspicion all the way into the imagination, where children make their decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 17, '05, 4:40 pm
CARose CARose is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 23, 2004
Posts: 1,967
Religion: orthodox Roman Catholic (love the church & all it stands 4!
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB_Oregon
You don't have to look it up. There are sexual predators in your area. Only a fraction of them will ever be caught.
Sad but true.

Quote:
There is a reason why people told their children "morbid" fairy tales about strangers who turned out to not be what they seemed. It was a way of getting a healthy suspicion all the way into the imagination, where children make their decisions.
When my daughter was young, I bought several volumes of the old, traditional Childrens Stories, Brothers Grimm and what not and was amazed when reading through them as an adult. They seemed so morbid. I can see your point.

Interesting thought.

CARose
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 17, '05, 6:01 pm
Laurel Laurel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 352
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Laurel
Post Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

This list is definitely helpful but don't forget that many offenders are not on there and many are not strangers. I know this first hand. Don't think someone is safe for your kids because he/she is not on the list. My brother is not there but I would say he is definitely not safe.

Watch them close.
__________________
Go out into the world today and love the people you meet. Let your presence light new light in the hearts of people.
~Mother Teresa~

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 17, '05, 7:48 pm
Chris Jacobsen Chris Jacobsen is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 8, 2004
Posts: 606
Default Re: Check to see if there are sexual predators in your area

Most sex offenders never make the list because they never have charges filed against them and are never convicted.

As a matter of fact, many sex offenders marry each other and produce children who grow up to be sex offenders.

In other words, most sex offenders are no worse than most people. They just had the misfortune of going to prison for doing what most people get away with.

Let those who have never violated the sixth commandment be the ones to cast the first stone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8448Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: jerrythetrucker
5139CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: hopeful01
4423Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3731Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3314Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3279Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3222Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3107For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.