Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 4, '11, 3:36 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic as of Easter Vigil 2009
Default How to decide to have another child?

How/When to decide when to have another child. We have a soon to be two year old, and she is fantastic. I am happy with one child and I thought that my wife was as well. But, now she has expressed interest in having another, and trying in the fall. I am not sure that I want another, with all the work, money, exhaustion etc. Just not sure what to do, and I hate to disappoint my wife and to have her always to have wanted another and never know what it is like. I am just looking for a little advice, so this is such a broad topic.
Old May 4, '11, 3:43 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How to decide to have another child?

Have another child.

I was lucky, I just had twins, one of each.

Financially it will be very hard but it is worth it.

Which is greater? Your wife wanting another child or you not wanting one?

The most important thing is if you talk to her about this.
Old May 4, '11, 3:46 pm

Religion: Catholic

Do not decide about having another child, just choose to trust in your wife instincts. You will be grateful for your choice in a few years from now, and for the rest of your life.
Old May 4, '11, 3:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

The last few days my daughter has had an ear infection/fever and has been crying and miserable. We have not slept and are exhausted, and then have to go to work. I just look at this situation and think do I want to go through this again. I am not opposed to another child 100%. But, I worry about having a child with disease or mental issue and it freaks me out. We rolled the dice once and it worked out. Not sure I am mentally prepared to do it again. I also look at the cost of another child, and hate that this is one of my issues. We have good jobs, but basically at the end of the month the money is spent on house/bills/groceries etc. I know that we can save more each month and change our lifestyle for another child. But, there are things like travel and other things that I wanted to do, and I feel selfish to not put my wife and possibly another child ahead of that.
Old May 4, '11, 4:16 pm

When you get to the end of your life, which can you imagine yourself thinking:

"Gee, I wish I had never had so many kids. They were nothing but work. It wasn't worth it."

OR

"I am so thankful that I put in that time and energy to have you with me here now, as I am on my deathbed. I am leaving such a good legacy."

We have four (so far) and each one has been more enjoyable and less stressful.

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old May 4, '11, 4:34 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristacecilia View Post
When you get to the end of your life, which can you imagine yourself thinking:

"Gee, I wish I had never had so many kids. They were nothing but work. It wasn't worth it."

OR

"I am so thankful that I put in that time and energy to have you with me here now, as I am on my deathbed. I am leaving such a good legacy."

We have four (so far) and each one has been more enjoyable and less stressful.
Fantastic point.
Old May 4, '11, 4:46 pm

Our experience has been that the second one is easier than the first one was. And the third one is easier than the second one. And at least so far, the fourth one is about the same as the third one.

Or let me put it mathematically:

Consider a scale of difficulty, where higher numbers mean higher difficulty (more work). For example, Difficulty = 2 is twice as much work as Difficulty = 1. Now, many people would think that the difficulty increases linearly with each additional child, like this:

Difficulty level of one child = 1
Cumulative difficulty level of two children = 2
Cumulative difficulty level of three children = 3
Cumulative difficulty level of four children = 4
(etc.)

But we have found it to be more like this:

Difficulty level of two children = 1.7
Difficulty level of three children = 2.2
Difficulty level of four children = 2.6

. . . or something like that.

In other words, yes another child would be more difficult, but perhaps not as much as you think. At least this has been our experience, though yours might end up being different.

One reason for the decreasing difficulty of each additional child is that children who are close in age will play together, which helps give the parents a little more free time. And older children will help with younger children and help with tasks around the house too. Also, you'll find that you don't have to buy nearly as much stuff for the second child, because you already have everything from the first child. And if the children are of the same sex as each other, then you can even re-use most of the same clothes, since they outgrow them long before the clothes wear out.

Also, think of what happens when you invest for your retirement. Maybe you sacrifice $400 per month now, which you could use to buy a lot of fun stuff now, so that that money will grow and grow, and leave you with much more money when you retire. Kids are a little bit the same way. You have to put in a lot of work and sacrifice in the beginning (and for years after the beginning too), but in the end, I think that many parents would say that all that work and sacrifice pays out more than you put in.

If you said that you had three kids, or four kids, or six kids, or eight kids, and you were discerning whether to have another, maybe I would say it could go either way. But if you have only a two-year-old, and you and your wife both are in good health, then my advice would be to go for it, and trust in God to provide.

But obviously don't just take my advice. Pray on it, maybe talk to an orthodox spiritual advisor, and obviously talk with your wife about it. Let her know your concerns, and talk through them.

I wish you the best!
Old May 4, '11, 4:47 pm

Religion: Currently Swimming the Tiber!

How? Pray, pray, pray, pray, pray. Pray on your own AND with your wife. Pray about all of the issues you mentioned and anything else that comes up.

God, and the Church, ask us to be open to life. And part of that is continuously examining our circumstances and asking God if we have proper reasons to postpone for now. If there are good reasons, as one radio therapist and his wife I love to listen to suggest, you should also be looking to see how you can fix those circumstances (if they are fixable. None of us can tell you if your reasons are proper (that's a prudential decision between you, your wife, and God), but it is important to properly form your conscience - do a LOT of reading to figure out what those licit reasons are.

Above all, PRAY. As you recognize that some of your own impediments include your thoughts/worries about another child, one of the things you might pray for is that God will help you deal with those worries and trust Him more. God provides.

Like I said... Pray, pray, pray, pray, and pray. ;-) Continue to discuss it with your wife and PRAY with her. I think that's the best advice I've ever heard (and I've heard it from multiple sources.

It's Official! Tiber Swim Team Class of 2009!
Proud to be a Doctor, Wife, and Mum, just like my patron saint.
Old May 4, '11, 5:16 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

Pray, pray pray...
Old May 4, '11, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGH View Post
Our experience has been that the second one is easier than the first one was. And the third one is easier than the second one. And at least so far, the fourth one is about the same as the third one.

Or let me put it mathematically:

Consider a scale of difficulty, where higher numbers mean higher difficulty (more work). For example, Difficulty = 2 is twice as much work as Difficulty = 1. Now, many people would think that the difficulty increases linearly with each additional child, like this:

Cumulative difficulty level of two children = 2
Cumulative difficulty level of three children = 3
Cumulative difficulty level of four children = 4
(etc.)

But we have found it to be more like this:

Difficulty level of two children = 1.7
Difficulty level of three children = 2.2
Difficulty level of four children = 2.6

. . . or something like that.

In other words, yes another child would be more difficult, but perhaps not as much as you think. At least this has been our experience, though yours might end up being different.

One reason for the decreasing difficulty of each additional child is that children who are close in age will play together, which helps give the parents a little more free time. And older children will help with younger children and help with tasks around the house too. Also, you'll find that you don't have to buy nearly as much stuff for the second child, because you already have everything from the first child. And if the children are of the same sex as each other, then you can even re-use most of the same clothes, since they outgrow them long before the clothes wear out.

Also, think of what happens when you invest for your retirement. Maybe you sacrifice $400 per month now, which you could use to buy a lot of fun stuff now, so that that money will grow and grow, and leave you with much more money when you retire. Kids are a little bit the same way. You have to put in a lot of work and sacrifice in the beginning (and for years after the beginning too), but in the end, I think that many parents would say that all that work and sacrifice pays out more than you put in.

If you said that you had three kids, or four kids, or six kids, or eight kids, and you were discerning whether to have another, maybe I would say it could go either way. But if you have only a two-year-old, and you and your wife both are in good health, then my advice would be to go for it, and trust in God to provide.

But obviously don't just take my advice. Pray on it, maybe talk to an orthodox spiritual advisor, and obviously talk with your wife about it. Let her know your concerns, and talk through them.

I wish you the best!

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old May 4, '11, 5:34 pm

Take a deep breath and say "Lord I trust in you." Now let Him decide what he wants to do. He may decide to give you ten more or He may decide that this is it. Don't waste your time wondering what YOU want because it is counter productive.

Good Luck!
from your
neighborhood?

The most powerful weapon to conquer the Devil is humility. For as he does not know at all how to employ it, neither does he know how to defend himself from it.
Old May 4, '11, 5:42 pm

Talk to your wife about your concerns.
And maybe you two are meant to have another child, but now is simply not the right time. Fall is a long way off anyway, who knows...one or both of you may have changed their minds by then.
We have four.
If I could go back in time, and have none, I absolutely would. I love my children, but life was just better before we had them.
Once you have them you can't go back, so choose wisely friend.
Old May 4, '11, 5:50 pm

It will please God for you to to sacrifice more by having more children.

If you truly can't cope with more then God will not give you more, trust in Him.

It would also be a shame for all that hard gained experience you have gained with your first to go to waste for the rest of your life imo.
Old May 4, '11, 11:48 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkipp View Post
How/When to decide when to have another child. We have a soon to be two year old, and she is fantastic. I am happy with one child and I thought that my wife was as well. But, now she has expressed interest in having another, and trying in the fall. I am not sure that I want another, with all the work, money, exhaustion etc. Just not sure what to do, and I hate to disappoint my wife and to have her always to have wanted another and never know what it is like. I am just looking for a little advice, so this is such a broad topic.
I think that's a decision that your going to have to make on your own.Is it that much more difficult to have 2 children than one?You will have to make sacrifices but your wife if willing for the pleasure of having a second child.What pleasures are greater than children?I love my cat,traveling,and lots of other things but they can't compare to a child.That's just my opinion.
Old May 5, '11, 12:21 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkipp View Post
hi mkipp,
what did you and your wife agree on before you got married?
My last boyfriend said he would like two children.. to which I responded I'd like to have 10. Though he knew I wasn't all serious, I definately wanted him to know that I do wish to be a mother of more than two unless I suffer from infertility or psyc. issues at that point.
Withholding children from a marriage is BAD news and cruel actually. Quite a few women I know have no children or only one and they are desperately trying to have more with either age or sickness against them.

If people get married they also say yes to having children. Today its very hard for many to even commit to marriage, let alone children, because we live in the ME-generation of lazy entertainment seeking people The only time where we feel very well is when we are off and just sitting on the internet, eating a delicious meal.. basically when no one demands things from us. if you don't see your self in any of this, good for you, but in my country there is a generation gap between those happy and fullfilled older people who found their life in work and family, and the unsatisfied younger generations who feel like these things are nothing but an unfair burden.

Dont worry! You will grow with the assignment. You have sacramental grace to back you up and when you "get out of yourself" and really give yourself to others, then you grow as a person. Your life will have meaning. Like the Church says: its in selfgift that we find ourselves.
The children will bless you and love you in return. Besides.. no kid wants to be an only child. Believe me, I know!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life