Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 8, '11, 6:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Looking for research re: pheromones & artificial contraceptives

I have read and seen discussions on this subj. but looking for the research behind it. Anyone with this info.?
Old May 8, '11, 6:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Looking for research re: pheromones & artificial contraceptives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE View Post
I have read and seen discussions on this subj. but looking for the research behind it. Anyone with this info.?
You mean about pheromones used as contraceptives? Google Scholar yields some results. Interestingly, the first paper that came up concluded that natural male pheromones worked on non-contraceptive-using women but had mixed effects on contraceptive-using women.

I have also heard of a study done on monkeys which concluded that contraception decreases females' attractiveness to males and results in male homosexual acts.

For an excellent overview on how breast cancer is a risk of abortion and oral contraceptives, read Lanfranchi 2009 and this brochure.

Also, I received a letter from the Breast Cancer Prevention Institute about a new study confirming that hormone replacement therapy (HRT) causes breast cancer. Their newsletter wrote:
When 15 million women stopped their HRT in 2002, the breast cancer rates of postmenopausal women dropped 11%. There were arguments in the literature about what caused this drop for a few years. By 2010, authorities agreed that it was because these women stopped their HRT.
Clearly, if a large number of young women stopped their oral contraceptives, there would be fewer premenopausal breast cancers.
It also refers to this brochure: If it's not OK for him to take steroids...why is it OK for her?

I hope these resources are what you're looking for.

Last edited by Geremia; May 8, '11 at 7:00 pm. Reason: corrected grammar error
Old May 8, '11, 7:05 pm
Banned

Default Contracepting Monkeys

Here's some information about the monkey study from Janet E. Smith's excellent talk:
Quote:
Monkeys and Contraception
There is an amazing study reported from a book by a man named Lionel Tiger. Lionel Tiger is an anthropologist who studies animal behavior to explain human behavior. Lionel Tiger works with a colleague named Robin Fox, who also is an anthropologist who studies animal behavior to explain human behavior. He works at Rutgers. In the 1960s, as he saw contraception becoming more and more popular, he speculated that male/female relationships would change radically [Pope Paul VI predicted this in Humanæ Vitæ, too.]. He did a study in the early 70s that involved a tribe of monkeys. The alpha monkey of this tribe, named Austin, chose three female monkeys to be his exclusive sexual partners. Austin had a grand time with these three female monkeys. Then the researchers injected Austin's three females with the contraceptive Depo-Provera. Austin stopped having sex with them and chose other female monkeys to be his sexual partners. Then they contracepted all of the females in the tribe. The males stopped have sex with the females and started behaving in a turbulent and confused manner.

Male monkeys at least evidently prefer intercourse with fertile females. Studies also show that males – human males – produce more testosterone when they are around women who have fertile cycles. In fact, men are more attracted to women when they are fertile and women are more attracted to men when the women are fertile.

Once when I mentioned this at a talk in Kansas, a man came up to me and said, "In Kansas, we don't need studies to show that males are more interested in females when they're fertile." He said everyone in Kansas grows up on a farm and we know that when a bull is in a pen with a cow who is not fertile, he is not at all interested. But if the bull is in a barn a mile a way with metal fences in between, the bull will get to the cow when she is fertile.

Tiger speculates that one of the reasons that women are dressing so immodestly is that they're not attracting men because of their fertility. They have to do sort of bizarre things in order to attract a male. They aren't attracting them simply by their fertility since they are not having fertile cycles.

Tiger also reports on a study involving tee shirts. The study included two groups of human females, one contracepting, one not contracepting. It also involved a group of males who had been rated for their evolutionary desirability. Men who are evolutionarily desirable are healthy and aggressive and responsible; the other group included those who can't hold a job, etc. These men all wore a tee shirt for a day. At the end of the day the women smelled the tee shirts. Without meeting the males the non contracepting women chose the evolutionarily desirable males as potentially attractive mates; the contracepting women chose the losers.

Mothers have approached me after my talk and said: "That explains a lot. It explains why my daughter is stuck with that loser." Other women say, "Now I understand why my son, who is such a marvelous young man, seems to be having trouble finding good young women."

Last edited by Geremia; May 8, '11 at 7:22 pm. Reason: added "Pope" to Paul VI
Old May 8, '11, 7:32 pm
Banned

Default Re: Contracepting Monkeys

This is the specific section of the book that covers the study.
Old May 9, '11, 7:53 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Looking for research re: pheromones & artificial contraceptives

Thank you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology