Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 8, '11, 8:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Lay people extend their hands for blessing...

So this happens at Mass typically on Father's Day, Mother's Day, and some others...

The priest gives a blessing to the said group and invites all the laypeople to extend their hands.

Question I have is where does this come from? Is it valid and or licit?
Matthew 16:18

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

Old May 8, '11, 9:11 pm
Banned

Religion: Conservative Catholic
Default Re: Lay people extend their hands for blessing...

I don't know where it came from, but lay people can't give blessings, therefore we should not be extending our arms to give blessings. The same ges for EMHC's giving "blessings."
Old May 8, '11, 10:32 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

It comes from the "praying over" of Protestants.
Old May 8, '11, 10:52 pm
Banned

Religion: Conservative Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
It comes from the "praying over" of Protestants.

Not just protestants. Mormons too.
Old May 8, '11, 10:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
Not just protestants. Mormons too.
But the influence in Catholic parishes comes from Protestants. Since they do it all the time and publicly, including their TV evangelists.
Old May 8, '11, 10:58 pm

We don't do this at my church and I'm happy about that but I have been to churches where it was done. It reminds me of a Hitler salute. When I see it my first thought is
'sig heil'. I agree that lay people can't give blessings so there's no point in extending hands .
Old May 8, '11, 11:10 pm

Quote:
I don't know where it came from, but lay people can't give blessings, therefore we should not be extending our arms to give blessings. The same ges for EMHC's giving "blessings."
ummmm.... you might want to double check the first part of your general statement. You make it sound like a lay person can not ever give a blessing of any sort at any time. However, in the right context, a lay person can give a "blessing" perhaps not during Mass or in other such situations but there are appropiate times and places:

http://www.catholicweekly.com.au/art...uestion%20Time

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the full article above... I've taken just a few things from it below; however, the full context would be better!
Regard the in the quote below... (I added these ofcourse):
Quote:
(...)
There are two main types of blessings. The first, sometimes called “constitutive” blessings, confer a sacred character on the person, place or thing, dedicating it to the service of God.
(...)
The other type, sometimes called “invocative”, ask for God’s blessing on such things as houses, cars, meals, trips, etc., without making them sacred.

Who can give blessings? The short answer is that anyone, even lay people, can give blessings on certain occasions, but the Church restricts some blessings to bishops, others to priests and deacons, and others can be given by lay people.

The general principle regarding blessings is that “the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more is its administration reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priests, or deacons)” (CCC 1669).

As for blessings reserved to bishops, the Code of Canon Law says that “Consecrations and dedications can be validly carried out by those who are invested with the episcopal character, and by priests who are permitted to do so by law or by legitimate grant” (Can. 1169, §1).
(...)
There are certain ordinary blessings that all the lay faithful, including children, can carry out. These include blessing oneself with holy water upon entering or leaving a church, blessing a meal and blessing oneself at the beginning of a trip.

Some other more formal blessings in De Benedictionibus can also be imparted by lay people, including the blessing of a family and of sons and daughters. Thirteen such blessings are listed.

In general, when a priest or deacon imparts a blessing he extends his hands over the person or thing, whereas a lay person keeps the hands folded.

The blessings given by lay people do not confer a sacred character on the person or thing, but merely invoke God’s protection and blessing.
(...)
-Fr John Flader
I had to add the bouncies above as there you have a very specific reference...
NOTE second to last statement about the hands folded...
Old May 8, '11, 11:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiae View Post
We don't do this at my church and I'm happy about that but I have been to churches where it was done. It reminds me of a Hitler salute. When I see it my first thought is
'sig heil'. I agree that lay people can't give blessings so there's no point in extending hands .
It comes from the "laying of hands". Of course for a Protestant congregation of a few dozen to a few hundred, not everyone can lay their hands on a person standing in front they wish to pray over. Or for a TV evangelist who obviously cannot touch the head of the person on the other side of the TV.
Old May 9, '11, 12:14 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thumbs up Re: Lay people extend their hands for blessing...

Can't we just put our hands together, and pray? Or is that too traditional?
we pray.
- St. Augustine of Hippo
Old May 9, '11, 12:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Thank you for all the input so far!

However, is it valid and licit for the congregation to outstretch their hands when invited by the priest?

Can I do this in good faith? Is it written somewhere that allows the priest to request the congregation to participate in this manner?

Or should I abstain?
Matthew 16:18

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

Old Nov 11, '11, 4:01 am
Observing Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

I have been told that lay people can ask for blessings in that we are always asking God to do so, not acting as if we ourselves are Devine.
Old Nov 11, '11, 2:24 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

there are several blessings included in the book of blessings in which lay people can participate, and a couple of occasion in some of the RCIA rite when the laity participate. I never saw language in either that invites them to extend hands (except in the signing for rite of acceptance) but that does not mean it isn't there.
Old Nov 11, '11, 2:25 pm

It happens in our church, too. If I were the pastor and wanted to invoke a blessing on a group at Mass, I would invite the congregation to bow their heads and join me in prayer for the blessing.

Joe
Old Nov 11, '11, 4:53 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P58.HTM

669 Sacramentals derive from the baptismal priesthood: every baptized person is called to be a "blessing," and to bless.172 Hence lay people may preside at certain blessings; the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more is its administration reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priests, or deacons).173

------------
However when it comes to Liturgy or formal blessings...the Priest I think should be the only one blessing in that fashion.
Old Nov 11, '11, 5:33 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_eye222001 View Post
Thank you for all the input so far!

However, is it valid and licit for the congregation to outstretch their hands when invited by the priest?

Can I do this in good faith? Is it written somewhere that allows the priest to request the congregation to participate in this manner?

Or should I abstain?
Not licit during Mass.
GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal) dictates the required actions of the Priest and of the Laity.

The Laity holding hands, mimicing the Priest by putting hands up in air, etc., is not permitted or recommended.
All Priests must follow GIRM during Mass. If he does not, talk to him privately. If he continues contact your Diocese Bishop.

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-wors...f-contents.cfm

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments