Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 9, '11, 2:47 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to dfp42
Default Is a installation mass always required for a new parish priest?

I found out that our parish priest is leaving and according to a letter read at mass written by our bishop. This is taking effect next week, and in the letter the new priest has also been announced. My question is should there be an installation mass for this new priest who's accepted the position, or could he simply just come and be our new parish priest? This is effective starting next Sunday but nothing has been announced.
Old May 9, '11, 3:05 am
Forum Master

Default Re: Is a installation mass always required for a new parish priest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp42 View Post
I found out that our parish priest is leaving and according to a letter read at mass written by our bishop. This is taking effect next week, and in the letter the new priest has also been announced. My question is should there be an installation mass for this new priest who's accepted the position, or could he simply just come and be our new parish priest? This is effective starting next Sunday but nothing has been announced.
We've changed Pastors 4 times in the last 12 years and in only one case was the Pastor officially installed. I think it was done because he was the Vicar General and the Bishop wanted it -- and he was taking over a parish that had been Pastor-less for the previous 6 months. Two of the others were already living here in our rectory and regularly provided pastoral ministry to our parish when the Pastor was unavailable. They just kind of slipped in to the Pastor role without ceremony.
Old May 9, '11, 3:53 am

Religion: catholic

In our diocese there is usually an installation mass for a new pastor not for an associate pastor. And the installation mass usually occurs a few months after he has become pastor. Priests are moved around in June and the formal installations take place in the fall, even as late at December. It is important to not that it is not installment ceremony that installs them as pastor but the letter signed by the bishop, which occurs when they are made pastor.
Old May 9, '11, 4:01 am

This will be our 3rd priest in the 2 years I've been at my parish and back to the faith. So technically, an installation mass with our bishop doesn't need to take place? The last priest who is resigning had one last year with our bishop. I'm really hoping that we can get a priest who will stay with us for at least 3 years at our parish of 8000.
Old May 9, '11, 4:05 am

What is the point of actually having an installation mass for a diocesan parish priest? With how they come and go, what is the installation really all about? I watched a priest get installed to my parish and leave a year later. Does an installation mass confirm the people that we officially have a parish priest?
Old May 9, '11, 4:09 am
Forum Master

Quote:
This will be our 3rd priest in the 2 years I've been at my parish and back to the faith. So technically, an installation mass with our bishop doesn't need to take place? The last priest who is resigning had one last year with our bishop. I'm really hoping that we can get a priest who will stay with us for at least 3 years at our parish of 8000.
No, as Joannm said, it's the letter from the Bishop that officially makes them the Pastor. the Installation Mass is a nice ritual but not necessary. In our widespread diocese, where the Bishop must fly to many parishes -- they either have no road access or would require 12-18 hours of driving -- Installation Masses are few and far between.
Old May 9, '11, 4:13 am

Does a priest have a choice if he wants to be the parish priest of a certain church? In the letter read to us, it said that our bishop asked Fr. and he has accepted the position to be our new pastor. I thought priest don't have much of a choice in where they serve the people.
Old May 9, '11, 4:32 am

Only diocesan bishops are installed to their dioceses, and have somewhat permanent relationship to that diocese. . Pastors are serving wherever they are sent, without declared relationship to their parish. There is no legal basis for installation.
Old May 9, '11, 5:03 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo View Post
Only diocesan bishops are installed to their dioceses, and have somewhat permanent relationship to that diocese. . Pastors are serving wherever they are sent, without declared relationship to their parish. There is no legal basis for installation.
I don't think you're right on this one. The Pastor certainly has a declared relationship with his parish and it is different from that of the Administrator or Assistant Pastor.
Old May 9, '11, 5:11 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Does a priest have a choice if he wants to be the parish priest of a certain church? In the letter read to us, it said that our bishop asked Fr. and he has accepted the position to be our new pastor. I thought priest don't have much of a choice in where they serve the people.
Yes, the priest may decline a position in some circumstances, but in reality it almost never happens.

If the bishop has read the installation letter, than this priest is you new pastor. It sounds like you only have one priest so there won't be any carry over. My parish is much larger and has 3 priests, so even through we have priests come and go almost every year, there is always some continuity.

Pray for your departing priest and for your new one. It is difficult for them too. And there is probably some other cause in the diocese which has made the bishop move your priests so often, so pray for that to be resolved even if you don't know what it is.
Old May 9, '11, 5:15 am

So it's normal for them to come and go every year? I guess I should just get used to them leaving shortly after they arrive? I wish it wasn't like this, honestly.
Old May 9, '11, 5:20 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
I My question is should there be an installation mass for this new priest who's accepted the position, or could he simply just come and be our new parish priest? This is effective starting next Sunday but nothing has been announced.
I have never seen it, and have seen many pastors come and go, so it must not be a requirement. Perhaps yes in the case of a new parish, a mission that has become a parish, or one that has been without a pastor for a while, that might be done.

In most dioceses priest assignments and pastor changes are announced this time of year and the actual changes made at the end of each fiscal year, June or July, unless there is a reason to do it at another time. The assignments of new priests and deacons are usually announced at the time of ordination. Appointments to diocesan curia are usually long term until health or other reason makes a change necessary. Pastoral assignments are usually 3-6 years for a priest's first assignment, renewable for 6 years, with supposedly a max of 12 years in a parish. There are many good pastoral reasons for that some administrative some for care of souls and good of the community. In practice however those can become longer term assignments.

Most bishops won't change pastors if there is a capital campaign and building going on, or if the assignment was made for a specific need (Spanish speaking pastor for instance). New bishops typically wait a year or so until they have a chance to get to know the priests and parishes before making wholesale changes. But pastor assignments are made to best serve the needs of the parish and the entire diocese. The parish does not exist in a vacuum and sometimes a change, even as drastic as a closing or consolidation, is in the best interests of the entire local church.
Old May 9, '11, 5:46 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

Our Parish priest has been around for 7 years.
Old May 9, '11, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
I don't think you're right on this one. The Pastor certainly has a declared relationship with his parish and it is different from that of the Administrator or Assistant Pastor.
According to the 1917 Canon Law (against the practice in the majority of the world) the parish was considered 'beneficium' given to the pastor. This concept was significantly changed in the 1983 Law, the pastor has right for some benefits, but not to a particular parish. This is explotied now in the Pfleger, case who is pastor of St Sabina Chicago since 30 years, and is suspended by Cardinal George because he refuses a different disposition (he is accused only with the disobedience of disposition, nothing else).

The pastor has rights and obligations over the parishioners, he has no right to the parish itself.

In the Archdiocese of Chicago the current practice is that pastors in every six years, parochial vicars is every three tears could be sent elsewhere. This term can be extended once. There are exception in my territorial parish the pastors were present for 10 years, 14 years, 5 years and counting. The first one asked himself for his disposition, the second one wanted to stay, but was replaced any way.

In the parish what I frequent the previous pastor retired after being pastor there for 10 years, the one who came replace him was promoted to higher position after 2 years, the recent is fresh and I hope he will stay longer.
Old May 9, '11, 6:50 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo View Post
According to the 1917 Canon Law (against the practice in the majority of the world) the parish was considered 'beneficium' given to the pastor. This concept was significantly changed in the 1983 Law, the pastor has right for some benefits, but not to a particular parish.
That explains why the priest who baptized me served in our parish for almost 40 years, from the early 20s to 1959.

But my point was that installing a Pastor recognizes his specific responsibility to his parish, rather than to other parishes he may be overseeing or the responsibilities of the Assistant Pastor or Administrator. Not necessary, by any means, but a good way of making the point to the congregation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments