Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 10, '11, 4:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2012
Default Lutheranism vs. Catholicism

What's the difference between these two?

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Proud to be Catholic
Old May 10, '11, 5:04 pm

Religion: Catholic convert
Default Re: Lutheranism vs. Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post
What's the difference between these two?
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that the Catholic Church was established by Jesus the Christ, on Pentecost, in Jerusalem circa 33 AD and the the Lutheran Church was established by Martin Luther (who was a former Augustinian priest) - in the 16th century, in Wittenberg Germany, and he challenged certain theological ideas of the Catholic church and inspired the Protestant Reformation thereby changing the course of Western civilization.
“I think of how by my sins I have added to the oppression in which Jesus suffered in the Garden. At that time Jesus saw all my sins, all my omissions, and He saw the place I should have occupied in Hell, if Thy Heart, oh Jesus, had not granted me forgiveness” –St Gemma
Old May 10, '11, 5:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe370 View Post
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that the Catholic Church was established by Jesus the Christ, on Pentecost, in Jerusalem circa 33 AD and the the Lutheran Church was established by Martin Luther (who was a former Augustinian priest) - in the 16th century, in Wittenberg Germany, and he challenged certain theological ideas of the Catholic church and inspired the Protestant Reformation thereby changing the course of Western civilization.

Aside from that, what doctrinal differences are there?

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Proud to be Catholic
Old May 10, '11, 5:34 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe370 View Post
That is my only response to that.
As the OP has been posting with me on the slaming protestants thread......real life example right here.......as if we are somehow unaware that Christ formed the Christian church. We are protestant.....not braindead. We do not subscribe to the belief that the Church Christ founded was intended to become what the Catholic Church did in the 1500's.

There are lots of differences between Lutheranism and Catholicism. Keep in mind that things that onside doens't view as differences often the other side does, and there are differences in beliefs between Lutheran synods.

I'll start off with saying that my best advice on how to reseach this better is to actually pick up a copy of the Lutheran Small Catichism and the Augsburg Confession. You might also check out the LCMS synod website as it has most of our doctrine laid out.

Then you can actually compare it to your own church's doctrine.

I'll try to write more later, but I have a toddler who just brought me her bib and sippy cup so I have to go make dinner.
Old May 10, '11, 5:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
As the OP has been posting with me on the slaming protestants thread......real life example right here.......as if we are somehow unaware that Christ formed the Christian church. We are protestant.....not braindead

I was thinking the same thing. BTW, the other thread that we've been chatting on wasn't about slamming protestants. I don't have anything against protestants. It was just something I noticed in the arguments used by protestants compared to the arguments used by Catholics.

Quote:
We do not subscribe to the belief that the Church Christ founded was intended to become what the Catholic Church did in the 1500's.

There are lots of differences between Lutheranism and Catholicism. Keep in mind that things that onside doens't view as differences often the other side does, and there are differences in beliefs between Lutheran synods.

I'll start off with saying that my best advice on how to reseach this better is to actually pick up a copy of the Lutheran Small Catichism and the Augsburg Confession. You might also check out the LCMS synod website as it has most of our doctrine laid out.

Then you can actually compare it to your own church's doctrine.

I'll try to write more later, but I have a toddler who just brought me her bib and sippy cup so I have to go make dinner.
What is LCMS synod?

Proud to be Catholic
Old May 10, '11, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje101 View Post

Aside from that, what doctrinal differences are there?
Well, I would have to say that it depends on which Lutheran church we are talking about, or if we are talking about what the CC believes verses what Martin Luther believed. For example, most Lutheran churches do not believe in Mary's perpetual virginity or her perpetual sinlessness, but Martin Luther absolutely did.
“I think of how by my sins I have added to the oppression in which Jesus suffered in the Garden. At that time Jesus saw all my sins, all my omissions, and He saw the place I should have occupied in Hell, if Thy Heart, oh Jesus, had not granted me forgiveness” –St Gemma
Old May 10, '11, 5:51 pm

Religion: Catholic

-Lutherans believe that one is saved by faith alone. Catholics believes faith plus works.
- The Catholics believe that the tradition is authoritative. Protestants believe in sola scriptura (only the bible is authoritative)
The Lutherans believe that the eucherist is symbolic. Catholics believe that it is the body of Christ.
-Lutherans deny infant baptism while Catholics practice it.
- Catholic bibles have 7 extra books and the Protestant bibles have 66 books.
-Lutherans deny purgatory.
-Lutherans deny immaculet conception.
- I think Lutherans don't see Mary as the "Queen of Heaven" and they don't pray to her or the saints.
Old May 10, '11, 5:55 pm
Forum Master

"We do not subscribe to the belief that the Church Christ founded was intended to become what the Catholic Church did in the 1500's". GREAT QUOTE!!!

If we were to judge the Apostolic Church by the behavior of the Apostles on Good Friday, there would be no reason to accept Christ's infant Church, for all but 1 deserted him, one denied him thrice and one betrayed him with a kiss. But we don't reject Christ's Church for the sins of the Apostles, we acknowledge their sin nature and rather accept the Gospel Christ entrusted to them and his Church.

This wasn't a mystery to Jesus it was known, as the entire History of the CC is a known. Its His church. And regardless of error which btw all "humans" have. Unless the Lutherans claim to have it "all correct"? Then as also stated The gates of Hell will never prevail against His church.

I'm pretty sure Catholics do not subscribe to the belief that the Catholic Church was intended to have 3000 denominations all claiming "Truth" today? Basically a direct result of the reformation, no?

The basic fundamental error of Luther was he seemed to forget Jesus Christ/GOD was actually running the Church through the Holy Spirit. Christ never claimed the Apostles would be perfect, but He did give then the authority to bind and lose.

God Bless, Gary

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old May 10, '11, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobio View Post
-Lutherans believe that one is saved by faith alone. Catholics believes faith plus works.
- The Catholics believe that the tradition is authoritative. Protestants believe in sola scriptura (only the bible is authoritative)
The Lutherans believe that the eucherist is symbolic. Catholics believe that it is the body of Christ.
- I think Lutherans don't see Mary as the "Queen of Heaven" and they don't pray to her or the saints.
Some Lutherans believe in the real presence in the Eucharist, however, they do not embrace it in the same way that the EOC and the CC do. What is interesting is the fact that Martin Luther believed in Mary's sinlessness - as well as Purgatory, something I just recently discovered,
Old May 10, '11, 6:03 pm

"It's His church" - is the main reason why everyone should want to belong to the Catholic Church, IMHO, if the CC is the church founded by Him, which I believe it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTaylor View Post
"We do not subscribe to the belief that the Church Christ founded was intended to become what the Catholic Church did in the 1500's". GREAT QUOTE!!!

If we were to judge the Apostolic Church by the behavior of the Apostles on Good Friday, there would be no reason to accept Christ's infant Church, for all but 1 deserted him, one denied him thrice and one betrayed him with a kiss. But we don't reject Christ's Church for the sins of the Apostles, we acknowledge their sin nature and rather accept the Gospel Christ entrusted to them and his Church.

This wasn't a mystery to Jesus it was known, as the entire History of the CC is a known. Its His church. And regardless of error which btw all "humans" have. Unless the Lutherans claim to have it "all correct"? Then as also stated The gates of Hell will never prevail against His church.

I'm pretty sure Catholics do not subscribe to the belief that the Catholic Church was intended to have 3000 denominations all claiming "Truth" today? Basically a direct result of the reformation, no?

The basic fundamental error of Luther was he seemed to forget Jesus Christ/GOD was actually running the Church through the Holy Spirit. Chirst claimed the Apostles would be perfect, but He did give then the authority to bind and lose.

God Bless, Gary
Old May 10, '11, 6:06 pm

I respect your beliefs even if I do not agree with them!!! Of course protestants are not brain-dead; they just have a different set of beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
As the OP has been posting with me on the slaming protestants thread......real life example right here.......as if we are somehow unaware that Christ formed the Christian church. We are protestant.....not braindead. We do not subscribe to the belief that the Church Christ founded was intended to become what the Catholic Church did in the 1500's.
Old May 10, '11, 6:10 pm

Religion: LC-MS Lutheran

Quote:
Where did you get your information about Lutherans?
Lutherans do baptize infants and it is a washing of regeneration in the Holy Spirit.
Lutheran believe that the Apocrypha is to canonical but good for reading.
Lutherans do not believe in purgatory.
Lutherans can believe that the Blessed Virgin Mary was ever-virgin or not, I do.
Lutherans do honor Mary as the Mother of God, but we do not pray to her or other Saints, we honor most pre-Reformation Saints.
If you want to know more about Lutheran Confessions, visit the Book of Concord site at http://dev.bookofconcord.org. It might surprise you.
Old May 10, '11, 6:10 pm
Forum Master

Whats seperates Lutherans from Catholics isn't as large as some would think. Most is a lack of understanding.

It could be said the reformation helped spread the gospel. But sad part is no matter how we slice the bread we have a serious problem today. Not so much with catholics/Lutherans but with ever growing insanity of denominations. You just have to know it can't live in Gods world, and this is Gods world we live in, by the moment and totally at His Mercy.

Of course today we have a different theology with Mary and the Saints which Luther never agree'd with anyway. So to some degree there are Lutherans who are actually moving further away from the CC.

God Bless, Gary

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old May 10, '11, 6:15 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn160 View Post
Where did you get your information about Lutherans?
Lutherans do baptize infants and it is a washing of regeneration in the Holy Spirit.
Lutheran believe that the Apocrypha is to canonical but good for reading.
Lutherans do not believe in purgatory.
Lutherans can believe that the Blessed Virgin Mary was ever-virgin or not, I do.
Lutherans do honor Mary as the Mother of God, but we do not pray to her or other Saints, we honor most pre-Reformation Saints.
If you want to know more about Lutheran Confessions, visit the Book of Concord site at http://dev.bookofconcord.org. It might surprise you.

Probly a Fast Google sight which seems to be the crutch for knowledge today. If your not sure, just hit Google and something will pop up. may not be the truth, but something will definatly arrive.

God Bless, Gary

Old May 10, '11, 6:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
-
This is not at all accurate.

I was baptized in the LCMS as an infant, as was my mother, and her mother before her.

The LCMS also believe that the Communion is the body and blood, but use "consubstantiation" instead of "transubstantiation".

Please state facts, not just what you think is fact. That helps no one!

Also, I grew up knowing that Mary was Jesus mother, and she was a virgin.
I actually had very little problem converting from LCMS to Catholic, as the "key points" had no differences. Sure, some details were different, but certainly not deal breakers! No big deal, in the big picture of things.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions