Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 12, '11, 5:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholics being Godparents for Lutherans?

Can a catholic individual/couple be godparent(s) for a lutheran baptisim?

Please cite sources. Thanks!
Old May 12, '11, 5:44 pm

Default Re: Catholics being Godparents for Lutherans?

Just a question; how would you propose making sure the children were raised Lutheran and still be a good Catholic?

I think your answer will solve the issue. And in case you are still in question, talk to your Catholic priest. You'll find the answer is a big "NO".

God Bless
Old May 12, '11, 5:47 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

I woudn't even know where to begin to look for sources on this!

But the first thought that entered my mind when I read the OP was-
Quote:
Why not? If a Lutheran could be a "Christian witness" along with a Catholic Godparent for a Catholic child, why couldn't a Catholic act in the same way in a Lutheran baptism? If anything, the Catholic presence in the life of the Lutheran child could result in a lost sheep coming home.
I see it as a "win-win" situation!

Musings From One of the Women
Old May 12, '11, 5:53 pm
Banned

Religion: Conservative Catholic

I would say no, but in this whacky world where Gene Simmons can be a godparent for a Catholic, I'm sure somewhere somehow a Catholic can get away with being a god parent for a Luthern baptism.
Old May 12, '11, 6:20 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMc View Post

No.

See canon law and documents on ecumenism.

A Catholic can be a witness of a non-Catholic baptism, but not as a godparent. Catholics The 1993 Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism (Directory on Ecumenism) explains:
It is the Catholic understanding that godparents, in a liturgical and canonical sense, should themselves be members of the Church or ecclesial Community in which the baptism is being celebrated. They do not merely undertake a responsibility for the Christian education of the person being baptized (or confirmed) as a relation or friend; they are also there as representatives of a community of faith, standing as guarantees of the candidate’s faith and desire for ecclesial communion. (no. 98)

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.

Last edited by 1ke; May 12, '11 at 6:31 pm.
Old May 12, '11, 6:20 pm

Religion: RC

Quote:

Considering the fact that the godfather is supposed to help ensure that the child becomes a good Lutheran, I'm not sure how appropriate it would be even if it is legal.

Do the Lutherans allow this?
Old May 12, '11, 6:23 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasi View Post
Considering the fact that the godfather is supposed to help ensure that the child becomes a good Lutheran, I'm not sure how appropriate it would be even if it is legal.

Do the Lutherans allow this?
Depends on the Synod. I don't this the WELS or LMCS are real keen on non Lutheran God Parents. ELCA who knows. I know that at my daughter's baptism, we had my sister as a Godparent and our good friends who were Anglican as Witnesses.
Old May 12, '11, 6:34 pm
Banned

Religion: classical Anglican

If I recall correctly, Catholics are allowed to be witnesses for non-Catholic baptisms.

What precisely this would mean to the god-parent and the parents I suppose could vary. Many people are not so much looking for someone specifically to make sure the child becomes a good Lutheran (or whatever) but wants a person who is really concerned for the child's spiritual life and welfare, who will be available to help the child, answer questions and so forth, throughout his life. So even to a Lutheran, a good Catholic who will love the child and be around might seem a better choice than an indifferent Lutheran.
Old May 12, '11, 8:14 pm

I was going to respond to my friend's question with an email. What does everyone think of this?

Quote:
Hi Mr/Mrs. [Last Name]

Of course, ask your pastor/priest friend, but I don't believe it's the best idea, even if you are technically allowed. That being said you might not be technically allowed. I'm just not sure.

The main reason why lies with the role of the godparents. Their role is to assist the parents in bringing up the child in the faith (in this case, the lutheran faith), but it seems you could not do that (with honesty for one of two reasons. Either you would:

1) Be helping raise the child Lutheran, which a catholic probably be doing in good conscience
or
2) Be helping raise the child Catholic, which I'm sure the parents would not appreciate , and would defeat the point of being baptized Lutheran.

Either way, it wouldn't seem to be a good situation to be in for a catholic to be in.

Again, defer to your pastor/priest friend, but that's my 2 cents.

God Bless, and I hope this is of some help for you!

In Christ,
Old May 12, '11, 8:42 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I was going to respond to my friend's question with an email. What does everyone think of this?
I think you are being wishy-washy with a lot of "I think" and "technically...". See above quote from the Directory on Ecumenism. There isn't any "might" or "maybe" in the situation. A Catholic cannot be a godparent to a non-Catholic. They can be a Christian witness.

If someone directly asked you the Church's teaching on the matter, cite the document I posted above.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old May 12, '11, 8:49 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
If I recall correctly, Catholics are allowed to be witnesses for non-Catholic baptisms.

What precisely this would mean to the god-parent and the parents I suppose could vary. Many people are not so much looking for someone specifically to make sure the child becomes a good Lutheran (or whatever) but wants a person who is really concerned for the child's spiritual life and welfare, who will be available to help the child, answer questions and so forth, throughout his life. So even to a Lutheran, a good Catholic who will love the child and be around might seem a better choice than an indifferent Lutheran.
I would have to agree with this. That is why I allowed my Anglican Friends as witnesses. They are from an ultra conservative sect and congregation (their doctrine and services are almost Catholic) Obviously my first preference would always be for my kids to be LCMS with me, but if something happened to me, I'd rather they grow up conservative Anglican, or Catholic rather than a lot of other denominations or nothing at all.
Old May 12, '11, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
I think you are being wishy-washy with a lot of "I think" and "technically...". See above quote from the Directory on Ecumenism. There isn't any "might" or "maybe" in the situation. A Catholic cannot be a godparent to a non-Catholic. They can be a Christian witness.

If someone directly asked you the Church's teaching on the matter, cite the document I posted above.
Hi 1ke,

Thanks for the quote. I was being "wishy-washy" because I really didn't know.
Old May 20, '11, 3:51 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: eclectic, spiritual

I can see both sides to this.

I have a similar issue, only I was a Protestant when I became godmother for my niece and nephew (I came back to the Catholic Church just this week.) Should I offer to resign? The deacon at my parish says it's OK if I stay. Please note: the other two godparents are not Christians (don't ask me why they were chosen.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments