Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 12, '11, 6:11 pm

Religion: Christian, Catholic
Default Catholic marrying a Baptist... pastor...?

Hey everyone,

If a Catholic marries a baptist pastor (female of course) would he be in sin?
I'm asking this because we hear so many times that Catholics can marry people from other religions and atheists and etc... but usually there is no "concern" as long as the children get raised Catholic. What if a Catholic guy marries a female pastor? Even if they agree that the Children get raised Catholic but share a some of their mother's ministries would the marriage be valid? How about for the guy? Would he be living in sin when his wife is acting against Church teachings?

Thanks!
Daniel
Old May 12, '11, 6:39 pm
Registering

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic marrying a Baptist... pastor...?

They would need to marry in the Catholic Church or get the approval of the Bishop to marry outside of it for the marriage to be valid. I believe it would fall under the same rules as a Catholic marrying any non-Catholic.
Old May 12, '11, 7:50 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskysmine View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm asking this because we hear so many times that Catholics can marry people from other religions and atheists and etc... but usually there is no "concern" as long as the children get raised Catholic. What if a Catholic guy marries a female pastor? Even if they agree that the Children get raised Catholic but share a some of their mother's ministries would the marriage be valid? How about for the guy? Would he be living in sin when his wife is acting against Church teachings?

Thanks!
Daniel

A Catholic can receive permission to marry a non-Catholic. The Bishop can give or refuse permission as individual situations warrant. We cannot say what the Bishop would do in a specific situation such as this.

Female "pastors" are at odds with not only the Catholic understanding of the priesthood but also the Baptist church's own teachings. I think a Catholic attempting marriage to a female "pastor" would be lacking in prudence. It would be incumbent upon the priest to talk sense into the Catholic contemplating such an unwise and ill-thought-out action.

Also, if there were some independent Baptist church out there that hired a female "pastor" in contradiction to their own denomination's teachings, I would presume that this "pastor" would be expected to be an example and leader of their flock. Marrying a Catholic and having their children raised Catholic would likely cause such a "pastor" to lose their job or at a minimum have their ability to pastor called into question.

I would question the integrity or the seriousness of someone claiming to be a leader in the Baptist church marrying someone of a very different faith, theologically speaking, and then agreeing to raise their children in that contradictory faith. It would be a weak "pastor" who would do so.

So, all in all, such a scenario is unlikely from numerous perspectives.

Lastly, you characterize Catholics marrying various non-Catholics (such as atheists, etc) as not of "concern." This is a serious mischaracterization. The Church sees it as grealy concerning, and very unwise. The Church counseling against it. The Church considers it so perilous that it makes marriage to an unbaptized person an impediment to valid marriage unless a dispsensation is obtained. And, likewise permission for mixed marriage is required. The Church tolerates mixed marriage.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old May 12, '11, 7:55 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Hey everyone,

el
Catholics are forbidden to marry non-Catholics. They must request a dispensation from the bishop to do so and it is supposed to be granted only if there is no danger to the faith of the Catholic party. How committed to their own faith is a pastor who would not only marry a Catholic but agree to raise their children Catholic? The Catholic would be in sin if he married outside the Church because he would be in an invalid marriage.

why "of course?"
Old May 12, '11, 8:33 pm

Religion: LC-MS Lutheran

In the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, the wife of the pastor has to be Missouri Synod Lutheran. Also before a man can go to seminary if he is engaged, his intended wife has to be Missouri Lutheran. The LC-MS only ordains men.
Old May 12, '11, 8:48 pm
Forum Elder

CHAPTER VI.

MIXED MARRIAGES

Can. 1124 Without express permission of the competent authority, a marriage is prohibited between two baptized persons of whom one is baptized in the Catholic Church or received into it after baptism and has not defected from it by a formal act and the other of whom is enrolled in a Church or ecclesial community not in full communion with the Catholic Church.

Can. 1125 The local ordinary can grant a permission of this kind if there is a just and reasonable cause. He is not to grant it unless the following conditions have been fulfilled:

1/ the Catholic party is to declare that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of defecting from the faith and is to make a sincere promise to do all in his or her power so that all offspring are baptized and brought up in the Catholic Church;

2/ the other party is to be informed at an appropriate time about the promises which the Catholic party is to make, in such a way that it is certain that he or she is truly aware of the promise and obligation of the Catholic party;

3/ both parties are to be instructed about the purposes and essential properties of marriage which neither of the contracting parties is to exclude.

Can. 1126 It is for the conference of bishops to establish the method in which these declarations and promises, which are always required, must be made and to define the manner in which they are to be established in the external forum and the non-Catholic party informed about them.

Can. 1127 1. The prescripts of ⇒ can. 1108 are to be observed for the form to be used in a mixed marriage.

Nevertheless, if a Catholic party contracts marriage with a non-Catholic party of an Eastern rite, the canonical form of the celebration must be observed for liceity only; for validity, however, the presence of a sacred minister is required and the other requirements of law are to be observed.

2. If grave diYculties hinder the observance of canonical form, the local ordinary of the Catholic party has the right of dispensing from the form in individual cases, after having consulted the ordinary of the place in which the marriage is celebrated and with some public form of celebration for validity. It is for the conference of bishops to establish norms by which the aforementioned dispensation is to be granted in a uniform manner.

3. It is forbidden to have another religious celebration of the same marriage to give or renew matrimonial consent before or after the canonical celebration according to the norm of 1. Likewise, there is not to be a religious celebration in which the Catholic who is assisting and a non-Catholic minister together, using their own rites, ask for the consent of the parties.

Can. 1128 Local ordinaries and other pastors of souls are to take care that the Catholic spouse and the children born of a mixed marriage do not lack the spiritual help to fulfill their obligations and are to help spouses foster the unity of conjugal and family life.

---------

In the case of the Lutheran minister marrying a Catholic, (s)he would not only have to be aware that his/her spouse is taking on the obligation of seeing to it that the children would be raised Catholic, but also has to sign on to the Catholic understanding of the consent a valid marriage requires. "I'll believe what I believe about marriage and you believe what you believe" does not cut it.
Old May 13, '11, 8:32 am

Thank you for your replies...
What I meant by "(female of course)" was that it would be a biologically compatible marriage but the problem was with religion. Just didn't want to bring other issues to the problem.

It seems there are a lot of problems with such a kind of marriage. If both are in love then the answer is to just forget about it? Is there no way to conciliate matters?

=x

I'm a bit scared now.
Old May 13, '11, 9:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Greetings,

Well, the Director of Religious Education (male) at our parish is married to a Baptist preacher. They've been together over 20 years and have made it work. So it is possible.
Old May 13, '11, 10:53 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
It seems there are a lot of problems with such a kind of marriage. If both are in love then the answer is to just forget about it?
It is prudent to not put yourself in such a position to begin with.

Quote:
Is there no way to conciliate matters?
It is unlikely.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old May 16, '11, 12:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrgwillidar View Post
Greetings,

Well, the Director of Religious Education (male) at our parish is married to a Baptist preacher. They've been together over 20 years and have made it work. So it is possible.
Do they have children? Where do the children go to worship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
It is prudent to not put yourself in such a position to begin with.
Do you think marriage is a completely rational process?
It's not like we can really stop our emotions from happening right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
It is unlikely.
No one ever said it was easy. There are a lot of difficult things in life that are worth trying to do something.

God bless,
Daniel
Old May 16, '11, 1:31 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Daniel
Gender is not an issue here.
People, unless there are impediments, previous bonds etc, have a right to marry whom they will.
I believe it is in Indonesia that a very public couple, a Catholic and Protestant are married. This has been an inspiration and helped positive ecumenism in that country.
Old May 16, '11, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrgwillidar View Post
Greetings,

A FEMALE baptist preacher? Really, and for over 20 years now. That's really surprising, as most Baptist Church's don't allow women to be pastors. .

I don't see how somebody who has made that such an important part of their life that they chose it as a profession, could ever be truly happy with their spouse/children not joining them, but I guess we're all different.
Old May 16, '11, 4:18 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4home View Post
A FEMALE baptist preacher? Really, and for over 20 years now. That's really surprising, as most Baptist Church's don't allow women to be pastors. .

I don't see how somebody who has made that such an important part of their life that they chose it as a profession, could ever be truly happy with their spouse/children not joining them, but I guess we're all different.
We attended a Southern Baptist church for a few years down in North Carolina back the early 1980s.

There were woman pastors, but they were involved with children's or women's ministries. Never was a woman pastor involved with ministries where she would be in an authority position over men.

We saw this also in the Evangelical Free Church in America denomination. The female pastors were usually children's pastors.

Keep in mind that in denominations other than Catholic, a "pastor" is seen differently. "Pastor" is simply another word for "shepherd." A shepherd is someone who takes care of sheep, and there have always been "shepherdesses."

So the way these denoms look at it, it's appropriate to have women "pastors" as long as they are not in authority over men. I can kind of go along with that, although I think that it would be less confusing and controversial to refer to these women as "Director of Children's Ministries" or "Director of Women's Ministries." That's what my childhood denomination does (Conference Baptist).

Finally, keep in mind that "Baptist" is a gigantic "umbrella" that is used for many hundreds of denominations. We know of liberal Baptist denominations that are ardently pro-abortion and have pastors sitting on the local NARAL boards. We know of conservative Baptist denominations that still practice "No blacks, no tracks, no slacks." So it's very likely that there are Baptist denominations that allow female pastors, not just women's and children's pastors, but actual senior or executive pastors in charge of their entire church.
Old May 17, '11, 2:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4home View Post

Well, I think that deppends on what do you think really matters. If your husband/wife was a catholic but didn't go to church wouldn't it be kinda like the same thing as marrying a non-denominational Christian? A Baptist can have a really close relationship with God and follow pretty much what the Catholic Church stands for, unless probably the "right of interpretation" thingy.
She can be as "pro-life" and as "pro-family" as any catholic. I think the hardest thing would actually not being able to share the Eucharist. Don't you think?
Old May 17, '11, 5:11 am

Quote:
Well, I think that deppends on what do you think really matters. If your husband/wife was a catholic but didn't go to church wouldn't it be kinda like the same thing as marrying a non-denominational Christian? A Baptist can have a really close relationship with God and follow pretty much what the Catholic Church stands for, unless probably the "right of interpretation" thingy.
She can be as "pro-life" and as "pro-family" as any catholic. I think the hardest thing would actually not being able to share the Eucharist. Don't you think?
Heart4home, Really.

Dskysmine,
I think their hardest thing was the raising of their children as catholic, and the kids have chosen as adults to continue in the Catholic faith.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life