Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 12, '11, 7:42 pm

Question The Rosary & Intentions

Can we have multiple intentions when we pray the Rosary?
Old May 12, '11, 9:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Rosary & Intentions

Yes, There is no limit on intentions. It's a private devotion.
Old May 12, '11, 9:43 pm
Trial Membership

Yes we can. When we lift up your hearts and minds to God in prayer we communicate to our Father who is always listening and infinitely loving. So we can tell him everything. When we pray the rosary, we contemplate on the life of Christ and we ask the intercession of Mary, his mother and ours as well. So we have a Father, and a Brother in Jesus Christ, and a Mother who knows our every need and who is always ready to give what's best for us. So ask whatever you need, tell God everything.
Old May 13, '11, 9:49 pm

Thank you both. Thank you so much. Neilbautista, you have put it into perspective for me. I have to say, I rejoice in the fact that I have such a Family! Wow. A Heavenly Father--the Creator, the Almighty, a Heavenly Brother--the King of Kings, and a Heavenly Mother--the Queen of Heaven.

Old May 15, '11, 2:32 pm

I have another question for everyone.

Can we pray the Rosary for someone else?

I'm not sure how to word this question another way, so I'll give an example. Say I pray the Rosary because I'm Catholic and that's what I want to do, but I have a Protestant relative who does not believe in praying the Rosary; but, I want him or her to blessed and safe. Could I pray the Rosary with intentions for him or her?

Several people have told me that the Blessed Virgin promises she will protect those who are devoted to her through the Rosary from unprovided/untimely death. Hearing this makes praying the Rosary all the more awe-inspiring for me, and gives me the desire to pray the Rosary everyday; but, when I think about that promise, I worry about the Protestant members of my family who don't pray the Rosary because they don't think it's right. .
Old May 15, '11, 4:52 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic convert

And I just started praying the Rosary once a day now.

But what happens once we start praying the Rosary every day?

Can anyone give me some real life examples of what has happened when/since you started to pray the Rosary every day???

Thanks.....
Old May 15, '11, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareinatortura View Post
I have another question for everyone.

Can we pray the Rosary for someone else?

I'm not sure how to word this question another way, so I'll give an example. Say I pray the Rosary because I'm Catholic and that's what I want to do, but I have a Protestant relative who does not believe in praying the Rosary; but, I want him or her to blessed and safe. Could I pray the Rosary with intentions for him or her?
We can pray rosary for everyone. Even for the non-believers. Even if they don't know our Heavenly Father, Lord Jesus, and our Holy Mother Mary, God and Mother Mary know them all, and love them all.
And none beside thee delights me on earth. (Psalm 73:25)

Old May 15, '11, 5:33 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansdec View Post

Can anyone give me some real life examples of what has happened when/since you started to pray the Rosary every day???

Thanks.....
I started saying the Rosary every day as a result of my Seven Sorrows Devotion to Our Lady, which I coincidentally started because it was shorter than the Rosary and I thougth I didn't have time for the Rosary. Now I pray both every day. Also as a result of these two wonderful devotions, I began doing Eucharistic Adoration one hour every week and I've begun attending daily Mass. This has been my practice now for about 8 years!! I would sooner die than not have the opportunity to receive Our Lord in the Eucharist every day!!

So, you see, my 2 devotions to Our Lady have turned into an utter LOVE AFFAIR with Jesus!

"If we only knew how God regards this Sacrifice, we would risk our lives to be present at a single Mass." ~ St. Pio of Pietrelcina, stigmatic priest
Old May 16, '11, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaryFan View Post
I started saying the Rosary every day as a result of my Seven Sorrows Devotion to Our Lady, which I coincidentally started because it was shorter than the Rosary and I thougth I didn't have time for the Rosary. Now I pray both every day. Also as a result of these two wonderful devotions, I began doing Eucharistic Adoration one hour every week and I've begun attending daily Mass. This has been my practice now for about 8 years!! I would sooner die than not have the opportunity to receive Our Lord in the Eucharist every day!!

So, you see, my 2 devotions to Our Lady have turned into an utter LOVE AFFAIR with Jesus!
Firstly. . That is excellent--you are a great example to all of us, and God bless you!

Thank you so much for answering my question. The more I learn about the Rosary, the more I want to continue to pray it everyday. I am learning that I need to pray about everything; as in, "in all things, pray." There's so much I want to pray about, from things in my own life, to the healing of nations. . The possibilities seem endless and amazing. I am so thankful that I can freely pray the Rosary, and that I can make the decision to become Catholic. This faith is too wonderful for me to pass up. .

You know, the more I learn about the Catholic faith, the more I wonder why anyone who knows of Christ would not want to share in it. . But, that's just me. Maybe I'm biased.
Old May 16, '11, 7:24 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansdec View Post

Thanks.....
What happens? Well you develop or enhance your daily prayer life. Pray draws us closer to God, and in the case of the rosary it also draws us closer to the Blessed Mother.

Also, like other structured forms of prayer, the rosary can help us develop a little more patience and bring a few moments of stillness to our otherwise crazy lives.

I've heard of some people having wild or miraculous experiences after they began praying the rosary on a regular basis. This is wonderful and I am sure this happens to some people. However, if someone is only praying the rosary in the hopes of getting something then they're praying it for the wrong reasons and likely won't get a thing.

Personally I've experienced no inexplicable miracles from praying the rosary. The miracles I have been blessed to receive have been much less flashy, but to me much more valuable. Since I began praying the rosary daily I have been drawn closer to Christ and His Blessed Mother and my faith in the Church has been strengthened.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen
Old May 16, '11, 9:34 pm

jtodisco,

Your post was wonderful. I found it to be very insightful and informative. But, I have a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodisco View Post
if someone is only praying the rosary in the hopes of getting something then they're praying it for the wrong reasons and likely won't get a thing.
How do we know what are wrong reasons and what are right reasons to pray?
Old May 17, '11, 1:10 am
Prayer Warrior

By "wrong reasons" I was referring to people who hear of miracles taking place for those who pray the rosary and think "Oh boy, I want a miracle, maybe if I pray the rosary God or the Blessed Mother will give me that promotion I'm looking for or that new car I want but can't afford, etc." I know this may sound extreme and you may think "who would treat prayer in such a selfish way" but I've seen it. It's a form of what is called the "prosperity gospel" in Protestant circles. The idea is that God wants to make you rich and fulfill all your sensual desires and that praying to God is like making a list for Santa Claus.

I'm not saying that prayer doesn't sometimes involve asking for God's help. But when prayer is only about getting something instead of at least sometimes being about giving God praise and showing Him our love for Him, it is not coming from a sincere heart.

Anyway, I'm sure no one on this thread has such selfish intentions, I just mentioned the "wrong reasons" briefly as an aside.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen
Old May 17, '11, 1:32 am
Banned

Religion: catholic
Lightbulb Re: The Rosary & Intentions

Yes, check out how St. Louis the montfort say his rosaries.

He made "Methods of Saying the rosaries"

Included multiple intentions for each decade

http://www.montfort.org.uk/Writings/MSR.html

I use this, and it has greatly helped me in achieving virtue
Old May 17, '11, 2:15 am
Prayer Warrior

When I pray the rosary, I offer it to our Blessed Mother all the peple I want to pray for, then I pray for all her intentions for the world, done and dusted.
Old May 18, '11, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodisco View Post
By "wrong reasons" I was referring to people who hear of miracles taking place for those who pray the rosary and think "Oh boy, I want a miracle, maybe if I pray the rosary God or the Blessed Mother will give me that promotion I'm looking for or that new car I want but can't afford, etc." I know this may sound extreme and you may think "who would treat prayer in such a selfish way" but I've seen it. It's a form of what is called the "prosperity gospel" in Protestant circles. The idea is that God wants to make you rich and fulfill all your sensual desires and that praying to God is like making a list for Santa Claus.

I'm not saying that prayer doesn't sometimes involve asking for God's help. But when prayer is only about getting something instead of at least sometimes being about giving God praise and showing Him our love for Him, it is not coming from a sincere heart.

Anyway, I'm sure no one on this thread has such selfish intentions, I just mentioned the "wrong reasons" briefly as an aside.
Oh, yes I think I understand! Thank you for your explanation, jtodisco. I want to ask your opinion on something.

Is it wrong for me to pray the Rosary in hopes of a swift ending to a war or conflict? (That is not my only reason for praying the Rosary, but intentions along those lines are one of the reasons why I decided to devote my time to the Rosary.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality