Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 14, '11, 5:48 am

Religion: Catholic
Post Britain's Roman Catholic Church brings back no-meat Fridays

Britain's Roman Catholic Church brings back no-meat Fridays
ROMAN Catholics in Britain will be urged to abstain from meat on Fridays, reviving an ancient tradition of sacrifice to honor the death of Christ, British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported today.

A conference of British bishops made the decision to reinstate the rule, with the practice to return September 16 to mark the first anniversary of Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the country.

The no-meat rule was changed in 1984 after hundreds of years of tradition, with the faithful given the option to choose a different form of penance or attend Mass instead. However, most Roman Catholics still observe the rule on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of '05. ☦
Old May 14, '11, 7:07 am

Default English Bishops Bring Back Meatless Fridays

http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-32571
Old May 14, '11, 7:16 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: meatless fridays back in UK

Now if we can get the U.S. Bishops to follow suite.

He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed
Old May 14, '11, 7:20 am
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic faithful to The Magisterium

Amen,

I was so afraid to post that view point seeing I am a new member and all. But yes, thanks for posting that. Got one hearty supporter over here.

Little One0307
Old May 14, '11, 7:25 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little One0307 View Post
Amen,

I was so afraid to post that view point seeing I am a new member and all. But yes, thanks for posting that. Got one hearty supporter over here.

Little One0307
Don't be afraid. the barking here is much worse than the bitting.

He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed
Old May 14, '11, 7:27 am
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic faithful to The Magisterium

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneGODoneCHURCH View Post
Don't be afraid. the barking here is much worse than the bitting.
LOL. Thanks I will remember that one.

Little One0307
Old May 14, '11, 7:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Britain's Roman Catholic Church brings back no-meat Fridays

I was hoping they would bring back Penny Catechism before meatless Fridays.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
the Lord is with You
Blessed are You amongst women
and Blessed is the Fruit of Thy womb, JESUS
Old May 14, '11, 8:05 am

In the best possible way, I very nearly fell off my seat when I read the news. It was very much not what I was expecting to come out of the recent meeting of the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, particularly as until now we've only had abstinence on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, not even the Fridays of Lent. I am pretty enthusiastic about this development (have been trying, with my wife, to observe non-meaty Fridays as much as possible hitherto). I think it's significant that this will come into effect on the anniversary of His Holiness' visit to the UK – may his presence here continue to bear fruit for years to come.

Can anyone name other countries in which every Friday (excepting, of course, Solemnities) is to be observed with abstinence from meat?
Old May 14, '11, 8:08 am

Just a minor correction, they're only back in England and Wales as of yet. Scotland, also part of the UK, has a separate Bishops' Conference, although I'd be quite happy to see it follow suit. I've always felt rather averse to eating meat on Fridays anyway, regardless of the official line.
‘In all that concerns the king, I will be slavishly obedient; if any attack his temporal power, I will shed my last drop of blood for him. But in the things of spiritual jurisdiction which a king unjustly seizes I cannot and must not obey.’

St John Ogilvie.
Old May 14, '11, 8:14 am
Banned

A "Required Act of Penance" is absolutely meaningless.

Penance must be voluntary to have any real meaning. That's exactly why meatless Fridays were abolished, because most Catholics did not consider it to be penance, it was just a requirement of the church.

Requiring that all Catholic refrain from eating meat on all Fridays will quickly become another superstition. It will just be a meaningless ritual that they all have to go through, with little (if any) personal meaning at all.

And sadly, all too many will simply ignore this "requirement".

I vividly remember the old days. I knew very few Catholics (including Nuns, Brothers and Priests) that ever considered meatless Fridays to be an act of penance. In fact, many of us looked forward to Fridays, because we got some delicious non-meat treats to eat, like cheese enchilada's, etc. It was just something that Catholics did, not a real act of penance at all.
Old May 14, '11, 8:15 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Britain's Roman Catholic Church brings back no-meat Fridays

I am very pleased with this development. I think that it will help cement us again and give us back some of the identity we have lost over the last 30 years. It forces us to bear witness when we, for instance go out for a meal on a Friday and let it be known that we won't be having a meat dish as we are Catholic and are commemorating the day when Christ died for us.

I have continued to practice abstinence from meat on a Friday but some of my friends haven't and have admitted that action of giving something up on a Friday has been a bit wooly at times.

Pax et Bomum.
Old May 14, '11, 8:29 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to torch621 Send a message via MSN to torch621

Its' only meaningless if you don't attach any spiritual meaning to it, which sadly most of this corrupt world does not do.
Old May 14, '11, 9:06 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent1984 View Post
Can anyone name other countries in which every Friday (excepting, of course, Solemnities) is to be observed with abstinence from meat?
United Arab Emirates (well, the Vicarate of Arabia, I guess), although it's Wednesday here (well, our week days are all mixed up anyway); I think it's recommended in South Africa (my family does)....so when I fly home from here on a Thursday (as I will be in July) I end up having 2 days of abstinence in the week.

Mother, Mother-in-law, Granny (2 girls & 2 boys )

I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord . . . . . to give you a future with hope. Jer 29:11
Old May 14, '11, 9:56 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

Penance must be voluntary to have any real meaning. That's exactly why meatless Fridays were abolished, because most Catholics did not consider it to be penance, it was just a requirement of the church.

Requiring that all Catholic refrain from eating meat on all Fridays will quickly become another superstition. It will just be a meaningless ritual that they all have to go through, with little (if any) personal meaning at all.

I vividly remember the old days. I knew very few Catholics (including Nuns, Brothers and Priests) that ever considered meatless Fridays to be an act of penance. In fact, many of us looked forward to Fridays, because we got some delicious non-meat treats to eat, like cheese enchilada's, etc. It was just something that Catholics did, not a real act of penance at all.
So even with your worst case scenario; Catholics are still at least doing 2 things which they do not w/o this required penance:
1) They are thinking about and acknowledging God in their lives through the entire day. Remembering the entire day to go meatless still does require thought and open us to perhaps greater levels of fasting as we may be called.
2) They are acknowledging real communion with and authority of the Catholic Church in a very physical way. The significance of this should not be belittled.
Old May 14, '11, 10:15 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

Yeah, make it as meaningless and requiring you to go to Mass on Sunday's and HOLY DAYS. Penence on Firdays is still and has been required for Catholic on fridays, this did not change, what changed is that the bishops could leave what the penence was to be up to each person. We see how well that has worked. NOT!!!

So yes making it uniform Through out the whole of the church would be again a good thing.

I know you can lead the horse to water, but you can not make him drink. The rest of that goes like this You can give him the choice to drink or be drowned.

He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News