Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 17, '11, 1:53 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Mormons: There is no evidence of the Book of Mormon or other Mormon Doctrines in the Early Church

Okay, so I know that Mormons believe in the Great Apostasy but even if the Great Apostasy were true, there is no evidence of this. The Didache was compiled as early as maybe 60 AD. The Apostles were still alive at this time, or at least some of them were. Therefore, why do we not find evidence of Mormon doctrines in the Didache?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old May 17, '11, 5:49 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Mormons: There is no evidence of the Book of Mormon or other Mormon Doctrines in the Early Church

Can I ask, why post this on a Catholic forum? There are numerous Mormon online forums you can use.
Old May 17, '11, 6:07 am
Banned

Religion: Charismatic Baptist
Default Re: Mormons: There is no evidence of the Book of Mormon or other Mormon Doctrines in the Early Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
Can I ask, why post this on a Catholic forum? There are numerous Mormon online forums you can use.
Why shouldn't he post it here? There are Mormons online here. And sometimes they are giving really good answers and threads like these are often really intersting to read...
Old May 17, '11, 6:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Okay, so I know that Mormons believe in the Great Apostasy but even if the Great Apostasy were true, there is no evidence of this. The Didache was compiled as early as maybe 60 AD. The Apostles were still alive at this time, or at least some of them were. Therefore, why do we not find evidence of Mormon doctrines in the Didache?
I try to answers this being a non-Mormon: They think that the Church needed to be restored because it got very corrupted, well simply into apostasy, during the last, let's say 2000 years, before Joseph Smith Jr, their prophet got the task of God to restore the True Church of Christ...
So, you could maybe say that first, the Didache is considered apocryphal and second that at that time when this document was written, the Church already had gone into apostasy.
Mormons are "bible-onlyists" (together with their other Sacred Scriptures like BoM etc.) btw.
And in the BoM it says that because of the wickedness of the Jews, they don't know about the Nephites and Lamanites which were chosen by God in present-day America as the righteous part of the people of Israel. (cf. 3 Ne 15)

"19 But, verily, I say unto you that the Father hath commanded me, and I tell it unto you, that ye were aseparated from among them because of their iniquity; therefore it is because of their iniquity that they know not of you.
20And verily, I say unto you again that the other tribes hath the Father separated from them; and it is because of their iniquity that they know not of them." --- 3 Ne 15:19-20

in Christ,
Old May 17, '11, 6:29 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esdra View Post
Why shouldn't he post it here? There are Mormons online here. And sometimes they are giving really good answers and threads like these are often really intersting to read...
I just think if you want answers from Catholics, you post on a Catholic forum.
If you want answers from Mormons, you post on a Mormon forum.

There are a couple of Mormons on here yes, but from what I'm seen they're sporadic in their posts and often ignore threads like this. The thing is, if I really wanted answers I would go to them, not wait for them to come to me. I think you'd get a much better answer if you went to a Mormon forum or searched online. I have read other threads before asking for an atheist, Protestant etc to come forward and answer questions and they just ended up being outnumbered and forced into a corner.
Old May 17, '11, 6:54 am
Banned

Religion: Quaker

Good thing he posted in "Non-Catholic Religions".
Old May 17, '11, 7:30 am

Quote:
I try to answers this being a non-Mormon: They think that the Church needed to be restored because it got very corrupted, well simply into apostasy, during the last, let's say 2000 years, before Joseph Smith Jr, their prophet got the task of God to restore the True Church of Christ...
Actually, this isn't accurate. They don't believe the Church needed to be restored because it became corrupted. They believe it became corrupted because it lost "priesthood authority" upon the death of the last Apostle. They deny apostolic succession, not believing that it was passed down to the successor of Peter and the other bishops.

Quote:
So, you could maybe say that first, the Didache is considered apocryphal and second that at that time when this document was written, the Church already had gone into apostasy.
Not true. As the OP said, the Didache was written very early on while at least some of the Apostles were living. Their claim is that authority (and truth) only left the Church when the Apostles were no longer around. I think this is a good question. The bottom line is that nothing they claim about the "Great Apostasy" has any evidence to support it.
Try to imagine that the Church that Christ started, in which He promised to remain until the end of time, and to which He also promised to send the Holy Spirit, was dependant upon ordaining new Apostles. Knowing this, they apparently forgot to ordain new Apostles, the one thing necessary to keep the Church alive. It is beyond belief.

Quote:
Mormons are "bible-onlyists" (together with their other Sacred Scriptures like BoM etc.)
Actually they are "Joseph Smith-onlyists". When all else fails this is their fall back.
Old May 17, '11, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
I just think if you want answers from Catholics, you post on a Catholic forum.
If you want answers from Mormons, you post on a Mormon forum.

There are a couple of Mormons on here yes, but from what I'm seen they're sporadic in their posts and often ignore threads like this. The thing is, if I really wanted answers I would go to them, not wait for them to come to me. I think you'd get a much better answer if you went to a Mormon forum or searched online. I have read other threads before asking for an atheist, Protestant etc to come forward and answer questions and they just ended up being outnumbered and forced into a corner.
Publisher is correct that this is the "Non Catholic" portion of the site and so this is absolutely the right place to post it. If the OP were to post it in a Mormon site, he wouldn't get a lot of answers either. When I was a Mormon I had no clue what the Didache was and I doubt many Mormons would either.

Steph
Old May 17, '11, 12:44 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
Good thing he posted in "Non-Catholic Religions".
Yes this is for the discussion of non-Catholic religions. But the OP is asking a question directed to Mormons. The best place to find Mormons to ask questions of is on their own websites, not a Catholic one. That was my point.
Old May 17, '11, 1:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
Actually, this isn't accurate. They don't believe the Church needed to be restored because it became corrupted. They believe it became corrupted because it lost "priesthood authority" upon the death of the last Apostle. They deny apostolic succession, not believing that it was passed down to the successor of Peter and the other bishops.

Not true. As the OP said, the Didache was written very early on while at least some of the Apostles were living. Their claim is that authority (and truth) only left the Church when the Apostles were no longer around. I think this is a good question. The bottom line is that nothing they claim about the "Great Apostasy" has any evidence to support it.
Try to imagine that the Church that Christ started, in which He promised to remain until the end of time, and to which He also promised to send the Holy Spirit, was dependant upon ordaining new Apostles. Knowing this, they apparently forgot to ordain new Apostles, the one thing necessary to keep the Church alive. It is beyond belief.

Actually they are "Joseph Smith-onlyists". When all else fails this is their fall back.
Mhmmm, sounds like I have started mixing Mormonism with Adventism and the Baptist view, mixed together with my own thoughts. - I guess you call this syncretism then.
Probably, I study too much religions.
Old May 18, '11, 7:43 am

Religion: Fundamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Barry Bickmore wrote on this topic. He used to have a website that the link is broken to. Here is one link.
http://www.fairlds.org/Restoring_the_Ancient_Church/
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions