Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 20, '11, 12:17 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default What is Vespers Like?

I want to attend a Saturday Vespers. I was told it's a beautiful service(?) that would be nice for me to experience.

Is it like praying the Liturgy of the Hours?

Is there anything I need to know ahead of time?

Thanks.
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 20, '11, 12:28 pm
Soldier Of God's Avatar
Soldier Of God Soldier Of God is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 10, 2010
Posts: 1,658
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Soldier Of God Send a message via MSN to Soldier Of God Send a message via Yahoo to Soldier Of God Send a message via Skype™ to Soldier Of God
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I want to attend a Saturday Vespers. I was told it's a beautiful service(?) that would be nice for me to experience.

Is it like praying the Liturgy of the Hours?

Is there anything I need to know ahead of time?

Thanks.
Yes, it is similar to praying the LoTH. Vespers is a service composed of Psalms, prayers and liturgical hymnody. It lasts roughly for a half hour.
__________________
"Most men seem to live according to sense rather than reason."
̶ Saint Thomas Aquinas

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 20, '11, 1:28 pm
Phillip Rolfes Phillip Rolfes is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 26, 2010
Posts: 1,762
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Vespers is actually a part of the Liturgy of the Hours. It is more commonly known as "Evening Prayer" among Roman Catholics. Typically it is also more commonly celebrated publicly on Sunday nights, although Saturday nights instead of a "Vigil Mass" would be more traditional. Vespers in a Roman parish would indeed last about half an hour. If you want to check out something interesting see if you can find an Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodox parish that celebrates Saturday night Vespers. You'd be in for quite a treat. And, if you go to an Eastern Catholic parish for Saturday night Vespers it fulfills your Sunday obligation!
__________________
http://themasterbeadsman.blogspot.com/

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 20, '11, 1:29 pm
Padraig1972's Avatar
Padraig1972 Padraig1972 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 29, 2010
Posts: 691
Religion: Orthodox (catechumen)
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Most likely i will attend this tomorrow eve as well for the first time in a dominican church. I am excited and this is first ecounter with both the domincan friars in the diocese here as well as Vespers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 20, '11, 1:35 pm
Phillip Rolfes Phillip Rolfes is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 26, 2010
Posts: 1,762
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Ooops! I didn't realize you were on the Eastern Catholics forum. Sorry about my previous post. Vespers is still the Eastern equivalent to the Roman "Evening Prayer," but that's as far as the similarities go. The structure, prayers, Psalms, and pretty much everything else is different. It can last anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1.5 hours, depending on whether the parish you attend celebrates the full service, or a somewhat abbreviated version. It is not uncommon for things to be trimmed down on the parish level for the sake of brevity and convenience. If you go to an Eastern Catholic or Orthodox monastery you will experience the full celebration of Vespers. Likewise, Matins/Orthros (= Morning Prayer) can also take anywhere from 1/2 hour to a good 2.5 hours depending on whether or not the parish/monastery celebrates the full service. I hope you enjoy Vespers. It is one of my favorite services outside of the Divine Liturgy.
__________________
http://themasterbeadsman.blogspot.com/

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 20, '11, 1:50 pm
hazcompat hazcompat is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 26, 2008
Posts: 3,007
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig1972 View Post
Most likely i will attend this tomorrow eve as well for the first time in a dominican church. I am excited and this is first ecounter with both the domincan friars in the diocese here as well as Vespers.
Offer your Joy, as a sacrifice, to Almighty God.

peace
__________________
Jesus Christ Is Our Father's Simple Plan for Salvation Since Before Time Began.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 20, '11, 2:01 pm
Aramis Aramis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2007
Posts: 8,990
Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I want to attend a Saturday Vespers. I was told it's a beautiful service(?) that would be nice for me to experience.

Is it like praying the Liturgy of the Hours?

Is there anything I need to know ahead of time?

Thanks.
Not "like", but "is".

Vespers is the evening hour. The term is also used in a latin context for evening prayer.

Latin hours
___Matins (during the night, at midnight with some), sometimes referred to as Vigils or Nocturns, or in monastic usage the Night Office; in the Breviary of Paul VI it has been replaced by the Office of Readings
___Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
___Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
___Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
___Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 noon)
___None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
___Vespers or Evening Prayer ("at the lighting of the lamps", generally at 6 p.m.)
___Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

Byzantine Hours:
Minor hours:
___First Hour corresponds to daybreak (6:00 a.m.).
___Third Hour corresponds to mid-morning (9:00 a.m.)
___Sixth Hour corresponds to mid-day (12:00 noon)
___Ninth Hour corresponds to mid-afternoon (3:00 p.m.)
Major Hours
___Matins/Orthros: morning prayer - usually between first and third hour.
___Vespers: at dusk, or after dinner. ( around the 12th hour)
___Compline: at bedtime

The byzantine communal celebration of vespers is generally sung, collectively, with the chant of psalms often being antiphonal.
__________________
Aramis
Alaskan, Catholic. Born Roman Rite, then soundly Ruthenianized.
Wikipedia: Ruthenian | Download the Ruthenian Pew Book
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 20, '11, 2:33 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
Ooops! I didn't realize you were on the Eastern Catholics forum.
Surprise

Quote:
If you go to an Eastern Catholic or Orthodox monastery you will experience the full celebration of Vespers. Likewise, Matins/Orthros (= Morning Prayer) can also take anywhere from 1/2 hour to a good 2.5 hours depending on whether or not the parish/monastery celebrates the full service. I hope you enjoy Vespers. It is one of my favorite services outside of the Divine Liturgy.
I definitely want to experience the full version. I attended a Divine Liturgy at an Orthodox Cathedral recently and someone there suggested that I would thoroughly enjoy Vespers. I think I would like to experience it in an Eastern Catholic Church (Sunday obligation and all).

Thanks for the detailed information!
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 20, '11, 2:39 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Not "like", but "is".

Vespers is the evening hour. The term is also used in a latin context for evening prayer.

Latin hours
___Matins (during the night, at midnight with some), sometimes referred to as Vigils or Nocturns, or in monastic usage the Night Office; in the Breviary of Paul VI it has been replaced by the Office of Readings
___Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
___Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
___Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
___Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 noon)
___None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
___Vespers or Evening Prayer ("at the lighting of the lamps", generally at 6 p.m.)
___Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

Byzantine Hours:
Minor hours:
___First Hour corresponds to daybreak (6:00 a.m.).
___Third Hour corresponds to mid-morning (9:00 a.m.)
___Sixth Hour corresponds to mid-day (12:00 noon)
___Ninth Hour corresponds to mid-afternoon (3:00 p.m.)
Major Hours
___Matins/Orthros: morning prayer - usually between first and third hour.
___Vespers: at dusk, or after dinner. ( around the 12th hour)
___Compline: at bedtime

The byzantine communal celebration of vespers is generally sung, collectively, with the chant of psalms often being antiphonal.
Thanks for really breaking it down and the comparison between Latin versus Byzantine.

Would you say that it differs dramatically from one Eastern rite to the other?
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 20, '11, 2:41 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig1972 View Post
Most likely i will attend this tomorrow eve as well for the first time in a dominican church. I am excited and this is first ecounter with both the domincan friars in the diocese here as well as Vespers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Of God View Post
Yes, it is similar to praying the LoTH. Vespers is a service composed of Psalms, prayers and liturgical hymnody. It lasts roughly for a half hour.

Are you both referring to Latin vespers? I should have been more specific, although I would like to eventually experience Latin vespers as well.
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 20, '11, 3:27 pm
Hesychios Hesychios is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 5, 2004
Posts: 11,826
Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
Thanks for really breaking it down and the comparison between Latin versus Byzantine.

Would you say that it differs dramatically from one Eastern rite to the other?
Most likely differs a lot between traditions like the Copts, Syrians and Greeks.

If you go to a Byzantine Catholic church (Ukrainian, Ruthenian, Romanian) there are several jurisdictions sharing the Byzantine-Slavonic rite (with slight variations), so if they celebrate vespers it should be similar between them.

I recall many (or perhaps most) Eastern Catholic parishes did not actually do vespers, in that respect they were a lot like RC parishes with Saturday night Masses. This situation may have changed in the last six years, but I wouldn't be willing to bet either way.

The parish I belonged to was one of the few which did introduce vespers, and the priest had to teach the congregation about it. The tradition had almost completely died out in the diocese but the pastor (one of the younger priests then) probably learned how to do it in seminary, or perhaps when he studied in Rome.

The best way to deal with this is to get the phone listings and call around. Ask the priest "what time is vespers?" It will get you in touch with the apostolic roots of the church, and the hours is still the official prayer of the church, the full cycle is also very catechetical (if it is in the vernacular).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 20, '11, 4:32 pm
PennyinCanada's Avatar
PennyinCanada PennyinCanada is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 31, 2011
Posts: 1,607
Religion: Ukrainian Catholic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
You'd be in for quite a treat. And, if you go to an Eastern Catholic parish for Saturday night Vespers it fulfills your Sunday obligation!
Yes, Vespers is a treat! I love it.
Why would Vespers fulfill the Sunday obligation? You would not be receiving the Eucharist at Vespers and it is not Divine Liturgy.

I especially enjoy Vespers when it's dark outside, requiring candles inside. The candle light adds to the beauty of the prayers.

I believe Tranquil Light is the oldest prayer sung in Vespers, about 1600 yrs old. Someone can correct me on that. We share this prayer with all the saints who sang this prayer before us, and now it's our turn! Love it. Love the Litya too. You may need to attend a few times to 'acquire the taste' for it. Let us know what you thought!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 20, '11, 4:54 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyinCanada View Post
Yes, Vespers is a treat! I love it.
Why would Vespers fulfill the Sunday obligation? You would not be receiving the Eucharist at Vespers and it is not Divine Liturgy.

I especially enjoy Vespers when it's dark outside, requiring candles inside. The candle light adds to the beauty of the prayers.

I believe Tranquil Light is the oldest prayer sung in Vespers, about 1600 yrs old. Someone can correct me on that. We share this prayer with all the saints who sang this prayer before us, and now it's our turn! Love it. Love the Litya too. You may need to attend a few times to 'acquire the taste' for it. Let us know what you thought!
Well I don't receive the Eucharist either way.

Is there another reason besides that why it wouldn't fulfill the obligation? Is it because it's not Divine Liturgy?
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 20, '11, 5:07 pm
Soldier Of God's Avatar
Soldier Of God Soldier Of God is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 10, 2010
Posts: 1,658
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Soldier Of God Send a message via MSN to Soldier Of God Send a message via Yahoo to Soldier Of God Send a message via Skype™ to Soldier Of God
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
Are you both referring to Latin vespers? I should have been more specific, although I would like to eventually experience Latin vespers as well.
Yes, I was referring to the Latin Vesper. I presumed that since you are becoming a Roman Catholic, that is what you were looking for information on. I know this is the Eastern Catholic forum but sometimes people post in the wrong forum. My mistake.
__________________
"Most men seem to live according to sense rather than reason."
̶ Saint Thomas Aquinas

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 20, '11, 5:21 pm
Phillip Rolfes Phillip Rolfes is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 26, 2010
Posts: 1,762
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is Vespers Like?

The reason one can participate in Vespers (or Orthros/Matins for that matter) and still fulfill one's "Sunday obligation" is that Vespers and Orthros/Matins (or any of the canonical hours) are not seen as distinct entities, rather they are seen as extensions of the Eucharistic celebration itself. Vespers is the liturgical beginning of the new day (sunset is traditionally and biblically the beginning of the day. So sundown on Saturday night is liturgically the beginning of Sunday). Also, Vespers and Matins/Orthros are the two hinges of daily liturgical prayer

The fulfillment of one's Sunday obligation isn't contingent upon reception of Communion. For that matter, however, the East really has no concept of "Sunday obligation." We attend the Sunday liturgical services because they are what keep us spiritually alive, in much the same way as the oxygen or our heartbeats keep our bodies alive. I am in no way obligated to eat or breath... but it sure is good for me when I do. The liturgical services also keep us aware of and attentive to God's loving presence in our individual lives and in the world at large, as well as his loving condescension towards mankind.
__________________
http://themasterbeadsman.blogspot.com/

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8458Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3735Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3320Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3110For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.